Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Published: July 09

I just had neck surgery. After the surgery about 3 days later my sciatica got a lot worse. At times it feels like my leg is on fire and electrical shock in my leg when I stand or walk.

Published: June 30

16 years ago after a severe back injury resulting in 3 ruptured discs I had back surgery which was very effective. I was not told when I went back after one year that I now had degenerative disc disease and if not properly cared for it would get worse. I worked for 13 years having times when my back would hurt so badly I had to miss. Several times I have had Sciatica for a few days and only a mild case and would go to the Chiropractor for several treatments and it would go away. 3 days ago I woke with horrible pain in my left hip and down my leg and into my foot to the bottom and into my toes. The pain was horrible. If they had asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 what is your pain level I would have had to say it is an 18. I have a very high pain tolerance level but the pain at times over the last few days has been so bad I have almost passed out from it. It is worse after I have laid down or been sitting and get up to walk. If I stay on my feet once I get the pain under control it is still there but not as bad. I bought something called Painstop at Rite Aid (spray or roll-on) and have been using that (I could not exist without it as it is the only thing that helps the pain at all) along with taking 800mg Motrin with Extra Strength Tylenol between the dosages of Motrin. I have gone to the Chiropractor and it has helped but very little this time. He told me that perhaps a part of the disc had broken off and was into the nerve. The Neurosurgeon warned me several years ago that when my back got so bad that I needed surgery again I would know because the pain would be unbearable. I am calling for an appointment with him on Monday. I think when it gets this serious you must do more than just try to treat it without surgery.

Published: June 30

My pain starts in my right lower back. Also feel it in my hip too. Sometimes my hip goes out. The pain also radiates down my leg as well. Certain movements really trigger it so bad that the pain is horrible.

Published: June 27

I am an avid runner. While training for a marathon a couple years ago I pushed to hard and had my sciatic nerve act up. I stopped running for two weeks so that I could still participate in the marathon. Aspirin can temporarily relieve the inflammation and pain but resting it was much more vital to recovery for me. It still bothers me occasionally but I was able to run and finish the marathon.

Published: June 25

I had sciatica very badly 10 yrs ago. Could not walk, sit or lay without pain. Husband moved to guest room, as I kept him awake, also. Medical Dr's, therapy, shots, chiropractic treatments, anti inflammatory, nothing helped. Then I went to an acupuncturist. Now I am pain free. However, it is not an overnight cure. I had two treatments a week for a month, then once a week for a month, down to monthly treatments. Took about 6 months. But worth it. No drugs with side effects, no pain with the treatment, I usually dozed off, as it was so restful. Now when it starts to act up, I put a good magnet on my back, and within a day, any pain is gone. I recommend acupuncture wholeheartedly. Be sure to find a good one. The one I used trained in Taiwan.

Published: June 25

I had accident in 1981 suffered ruptured back. The doctor called the damage sciatica this last three months have been hell all of a sudden pain never left. I contacted my doctor several times but no satisfaction except, finally last week I insisted on x rays this week my doctor informed me I have an aneurism on my spine I'm sick with worry about this and pretty mad it took so long to be diagnosed.

Published: June 25

Bed rest, perhaps....but this can be painful as well after time. Good support of the lower back is important, so I suggest a rolled thick towel right in that curve in your back (warmed?) as you lie flat in bed. If possible, also place a pillow under both knee joints as this relieves the stress somewhat as well. I have had this problem on both sides at times and the older you get, the longer it takes to heal or dissipate. Treat the symptoms early and try to support your back and knee backs even if you have no pain. Prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sciatica has a mind of its own. It comes and leaves when it feels like it. Unless there is an operation, there is little you can do except wait out the storm.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?