Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: JAY, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My sciatica started while doing a yoga pose, throwing my right leg towards the left side of my body. This was at least 6 months ago. I had no back pain, just in the buttocks and down the back of the leg. It hurts the most when I lay on that side, usually after about 5 minutes. Occasionally when I stand a long while, it hurts but mostly when lying. Taking ibuprofen about 15 minutes before I go to bed helps for a while.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was doing laundry today and got up off my bed and felt a sharp stabbing pain in the lower left side. I thought I just moved wrong so I went to take a hot bath. I ran the bath as hot as I could stand it thinking that would help. After 20 minutes in the tub I could barely move and crawled out of the tub back to my bed. I have a very high pain tolerance so anything than can make me cry, go to emergency room and call husband at work has to be really bad. After 3 hours the doctor finally said I had a bulging disk and it was pressing on my sciatic nerve and that was causing my pain. After a shot of Demerol and steroids I was sent home. By the time I got home the Demerol had worn off. I am still in extreme pain.

Comment from: angellight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have scoliosis of the right hip. Over the last month I have been experiencing pain from my lower back and hips that shoots down both my legs. It is very difficult to walk and even standing sends sharp pain down my legs.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was reading in bed one night. I went to get up and felt the worst pain I've ever felt in my lower back. I couldn't move, bend or sit down; it was the most severe pain I've ever had in my life. Throughout the next hour or two the pain traveled to my right buttock area and then down my right upper thigh. It eventually settled in my right calf area and the back of my right knee. I went to the hospital to treat the pain with steroids and eventually had an MRI taken. It's been 4 weeks and the pain has subsided a bit but it has settled behind my right knee where it continues to be a constant ache. I was informed I have a disk that is pressing on my sciatic nerve and will need physical therapy, aqua therapy and injections into the area.

Comment from: Dcajm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Last Thursday I woke up in severe pain around my right buttock radiating down to my knee, I thought maybe I'd slept wrong so I tried to ignore it. I have a bulging disc in my neck and serious back pain so I deal with pain daily but this hurt really bad. I waited almost a week before I went to the doctor, I was in tears so she tells me its sciatica and to just take my regular medicines of neurontin, Flexeril, and hydrocodone as prescribed. She gave me two shots one of Norflex and the other Toradol and sent me home said if it got worse to call. Well the next day it was worse, now I'm taking prednisone and still the others. I got about 6 hours today pain free, now I'm almost in tears again, back in bed. Definitely not pain free, it hurts no matter how I move or lay.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

With sciatica, this is the first time I have ever experienced such pain. I get occasional lower backaches but this pain is always in my thighs to my knees. The burning and numbness is just unbearable. Sometimes I get sharp pains there also and if I cough the pain is just awful. I have to stand for 6 hours at work and sometimes I am in tears from this awful situation. This has been going on about a year now.

Published: July 09

My pain started a few days after a long driving trip (4000 miles). It's the first time I've had this problem. The pain was very intense making even simple movements of my left leg very painful. It was a 10 on the 1-10 scale. Bending over was impossible. No matter how long I looked at my sock on the floor I could not pick it up. The pain would strike from my left butt cheek to my left ankle. After I'd move it would continue to ache for a period of time. I could not sit in most chairs as it was too uncomfortable. I spent four days in a chair with minimal time out of the chair. I could barely walk to get to the bathroom or to get food. After the fourth day I found that 800 mg of Ibuprofen would give me relief for about three hours. The day after that (today) the pain was much less, only about a 4 on the 10 scale and that was without any Ibuprofen. I'm looking forward to continued recovery.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?