Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Deb b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

The pain from sciatica is worse than giving birth. I have been house bound for 21 days, I am hunched over and when I try to get around the home the pain is unbearable. Medications don"t relieve anything; it is mentally degrading and physically impossible to live with this. I would not wish this on anyone. Good luck to all those sufferers out there, I feel and know you"re pain; find a cure someone please!

Comment from: LUCKY 2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I fell from my porch one day, didn"t think about it till next morning when I awoke and couldn"t move out of bed and was in pain. I called my friend who came and called 911, when they came they put me on a stretcher since I couldn"t walk, and took me to emergency. After all kinds of tests they said it was sciatica, and since I didn"t have insurance they sent me home with some pills. I have 2 hip replacements, I went to see my primary care physician, got x-rays and he says it is arthritis. I know that"s not it, every morning my left thigh has the pain where I have trouble moving, I also have trouble standing straight for over 10 minutes. He still says its arthritis, I have had arthritis for years so I know the difference; that does not stop me from moving.

Comment from: lavender, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have suffered with sciatica since 1997. I don't sleep very often. This is the most depressing pain of all pain. Nothing has eased my pain except I am now a pill popping patient. Narcotics, anti-inflammatories, nothing helps. Sometimes I'm desperate for relief.

Comment from: colleenarn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

The most debilitating pain I have ever felt is from sciatica. Nothing worked except an adjustment from my chiropractor; not prednisone or pain medication. I have kept this in check with regular adjustments and I have no more pain.

Comment from: A Victom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have a chronic, constant throbbing pain in my right shoulder blade close to my vertebra. Sometimes my toes get numb and tingly; other times my whole foot. Also, sometimes my fingertips get tingly and numb. The symptoms started after I was riding my bike; I hit a pot hole, my right hand was the only hand on the handle bars (thank goodness), as a result, my right shoulder blade smashed against my vertebra where the sciatic nerve is.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been dealing with sciatic nerve for 3 months now! The pain is so chronic, I find it painful to sit, stand, walk, cough, or sneeze! I have told my doctor about how bad it hurts! I cannot get any relief!

Comment from: Jim29673, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Three months ago, I was about 3 or 4 levels up on a scaffold unloading 8" concrete blocks from a pallet and a pan of mortar mix was in front of me. I tripped and my right foot was caught under one of the legs of the mortar pan. At first, it did not bother me, but now if I sit for a period of time or lay down for a length of time, I have to get up very slowly because once I start to put my weight on my right leg and try to walk, a most intense throbbing pain will hit at my right hip close to my groin, and go to the inside of my right thigh, and down to my ankle. Even when standing, when I go to walk and I take a step it hurts badly.

Comment from: Ari, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sciatica for about 8 months. My doctor prescribed me some strong medication which I can't take anymore, so the pain came back 8 out of 10. I feel it more in the morning, and I need to walk to work. I also put ice on my butt and that helps me to not feel the pain before going to sleep.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?