Patient Comments: Sciatica - Medications

What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?

Comment from: stef, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I don't have my rx in front of me but its call cymbalta and it has worked wonders. I have had this problem for about 3 years and I am now prego and won't be able to continue my rx in till the baby is born. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm sure ill end up on bed rest.

Comment from: MsJewell, 65-74 Female Published: March 11

The best pain killer for this awful condition is, as I found, Robaxacet for the back X-tra strength. It goes by Robaxin in the States.

Comment from: Madison's mom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am 30 years old and pregnant with my fourth child but my first girl. I am 27 weeks pregnant and I have Sciatica. I've been in severe pain for a week or more. I can't take any pain medications--only Tylenol. I am also a high risk patient. The only thing that eased my pain was hot baths 2 or 3 times a day. Then I also bought a heat pad an within hours I felt a big relief. I could actually move around and walk without crying or falling. My baby girl is laying on my spine causing it to lay against my Sciatica nerve. That is what caused my pain. The pain seems so severe in the night than in the day. I think the cold air aggravates mine.

Comment from: ghstwicca, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have been in pain for months now, and to the ER twice, and still in horrible pain, I'm doing my best to keep working but it's a challenge, it hurts to sit, stand, and don't even think about bending over. The doctors have so far tried- Hydrocodon, Ibuprofen 800, and Naproxen 500mg. It's getting to the point where I can't sleep because of the pain.

Comment from: cuqui, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

When I stand up I feel tingling, pins and needles, on my foot and tightness in my calf. I also get pain in my buttock, but not so much in my thigh. I have been experiencing this pain for about 3 weeks now.

Comment from: kayla2007, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My pain started out as a sever stiffness in my lower back. I couldn't bend over or sleep on my right side because it was so bad. That went away after a week or so, but then I started getting a sharp, burning back from my lower buttocks are on my right side all the way down to my knee, and I wasn't sure what it was. I thought it might have been a torn muscle. Every time I stretch or move my leg in a certain way, the pain gets really bad. I can barely lift it above a 45 degree angle. And so far, I haven't been able to find anything that helps. I've tried everything from ibuprofen it vicodin.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 67 year old female. I have had back pain for 20 years. After 2 back surgeries I am no better and the pain from the sciatic nerve is bad. My problem is that I have gained 50 pounds in 6 years and now no one will discuss surgery. Loose 100 pounds and maybe. I am on a variety of meds. From anti-inflammatory to codeine and nothing really helps. More pain more weight gain from not being active.

Comment from: suni, 45-54 Female Published: January 31

One night I woke up at 4 in the morning to a very intense pain on the back of my thigh. I could not sleep after that and any side tossing or turning brought no relief. In the morning the doctor was called he gave some anti inflammatory medicines and vitamins but still I have no relief today is the 4th day and I am suffering.

Comment from: Jacob, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I was in Toluca, Mexico working for a car company. I was bending over connecting a laptop under the vehicles dashboard. After about 4000 vehicles and miles of walking I began to feel pain in my inner left hip. Within a few hours the pain spread into my buttocks down the back of my thigh behind my knee and down my calf. I got to the hotel and was crying in bed for my mommy. No position could alleviate this constant Charlie horse type of pain. Some Mexican doctors gave me shots of vitamins, analgesics, muscle relaxers, and anti inflammatory drugs. I thought I'd rather be dead than in this pain. I fell asleep finally and woke 6 hours later the pain had gone from a 10 to about a 4. Now there was a tingling numbing pain from my knee to my toes. It has been 6 days now and I feel tingling numbness down my left knee to my toes. I can't stand on my left tippy toes. I'm going to pray to god and start stretching and being more cautious about how I treat my body from now on.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?