Patient Comments: Sciatica - Symptoms

Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?

Comment from: lemonella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I bent over to remove some articles of clothing from my luggage and after a popping sound in the back, a sharp pain quickly ran up my inner thigh. It felt as though I had been kicked. Since that time I have had this excruciating pain in the back of my thigh radiating up to and through the buttocks. It is difficult to walk without bending over thus putting more pressure on the right side. This pain has lasted for a week. This is the second time I have had this pain just from bending over, and yes I know the proper way to lift, etc. Time to see the doctor again. Acetaminophen is not getting the job done.

Comment from: jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My symptoms started after a hike in the snow. I was a little stiff and then did a 140 step stair climb twice. After that I started to get sharp electric pains in my inner thigh and throbbing from my hip down to my ankle on the right side. I tried acupuncture and physiotherapy and finally after a year I had an MRI to find that my disks were starting to show osteoarthritis. It has been 18 months now. I have had chiropractors, acupuncture and osteopaths work on me. I still cannot sleep at night without pills and meds. I stopped taking ibuprofen after I ended up with hemorrhoid problems due to constipation caused from it.

Comment from: Adriane T., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had sciatica over a year ago. At the time the pain was totally unbearable. I took pain medications, physical therapy and nothing helped until I went for acupuncture therapy. I took 24 treatments (twice a week for 12 weeks) and the pain was totally cured. The first 3-4 treatments showed no results. Then, little by little, the pain left my toes, then my calf, then my thigh, then my buttocks. Each time the doctor would ask me where the pain was, and as it moved, he would re-position the needles. This was the best treatment ever!

Comment from: RedLady03, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I just came from the orthopedic doctor who is sending me to a back doctor. I thought it was a hip problem, but doctor says it sounds like my lower back and possibly a pinched nerve associated with the sciatica. My legs go numb especially when I drive. The pain is horrible. When I stand for long periods of time I ache from my waist down. I have shooting back pain and numb feet when I sit in a chair. I want this fixed soon.

Comment from: Nannyof10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

The pain started in my lower back, then went to my left thigh and down my left leg. It felt like someone was touching my left leg with a stun gun. I was so bad it felt like I was going to fall if I didn't sit down. It hurt to sit down, stand up, lay down or walk. I went to the emergency room and all they said was that I had acute low back pain.

Comment from: Doug Plumb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I believe that I have sciatica after reading about it online and talking with my general physician about symptoms. I had this same pain when I was a kid until I was about 24. At 24 I started swimming every day and was in great shape. Never a back pain. I quit swimming when I was 37. Now at 49 I'm getting the pain back. I'll try swimming again.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I ended up in emergency room with pain in my hip and leg. I could not walk or move without pain. The doctor gave me anti-inflammatory, pain and muscle relaxer pills. It helped but then my foot started hurting and now my right hip.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?