Patient Comments: Sciatica - Symptoms

Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?

Comment from: ANNA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

My symptoms started 2 years ago. My late mother was ill. She went to the toilet and then she told me she can't get up. So I helped her up. As I picked her up she collapsed in my arms. Sadly, she passed on in my arms. Two weeks after she passed on, my leg went lame. Then I started to fall as my leg just was weak. I went to an orthopedic doctor who sent me for an MRI. It shows my back got hurt. Now they say there is nothing they can do for me. I am in pain and can't bend my knee. I joined a gym but it is painful. I am so tired of this sciatica pain.

Comment from: Geogirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was about 4 months pregnant and I was sitting on the floor, bent my legs to stand up and the most intense pain radiated from my hip down the back of my leg. I sat there in pain for a few minutes before I forced myself to get up. I spent the weekend on the couch, then waddled around for two weeks after that. The intense pain faded after about two weeks, but I had sciatica pain until the end of the pregnancy.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident a little over 3 years ago. I broke my hip and that beat up my sciatic nerve and gave me nerve damage in my lower left leg and foot. I also have foot drop and pretty much the same symptoms of diabetic nerve pain in my left foot.

Comment from: Paige, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

We had a flood at work and I fell badly on my back whilst helping to clean up. Hours later, I found I could barely walk, sit down or even stand. The pain radiates from my lower left back all the way down my inner thigh, the back of my leg to my toes. The pain is especially more intense and excruciating by the end of the day. The pain feels like a pinched/trapped nerve. At times the leg feels very heavy with tingling sensation. I have a very high threshold of pain but the other day I almost cried. I enjoy power walking in the mornings but I"m too scared to go walking now.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My last experience with sciatica nerve pain was so intense I thought I would lose my mind. I went to hospital by ambulance. They gave me a shot 2 Motrin and discharged me. I could not walk and I was alone. The pain was in my back, groin, and down my thigh in the front. That"s the worst pain, I"d rather have 100 babies. I had to bend like a U in order to make it to a cab and to my apartment. I'm still in pain and cannot stand up straight. My thigh is still numb.

Comment from: lory, Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have sciatica, I feel too much pain in the back of my knee and the blood is clotted. I wonder if it is a symptom of sciatica.

Comment from: Damayanthi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have been having this sciatica pain for the last 8 years. It initiated 5 years ago on a regular base. Today, I find it difficult to walk long distance. Unfortunately I am not economically in a stable condition. I have three children from age 8, 7, and six. I have to attend to them daily. I need to have a second opinion, if a therapy would work out or a surgery is needed.

Comment from: ExcellentLady3245, Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have lower back pain and it aggravates me to stand for a long period of time and the sciatica gets worse as the day goes on.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?