Patient Comments: Sciatica - Symptoms

Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?

Comment from: Paige, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

We had a flood at work and I fell badly on my back whilst helping to clean up. Hours later, I found I could barely walk, sit down or even stand. The pain radiates from my lower left back all the way down my inner thigh, the back of my leg to my toes. The pain is especially more intense and excruciating by the end of the day. The pain feels like a pinched/trapped nerve. At times the leg feels very heavy with tingling sensation. I have a very high threshold of pain but the other day I almost cried. I enjoy power walking in the mornings but I"m too scared to go walking now.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My last experience with sciatica nerve pain was so intense I thought I would lose my mind. I went to hospital by ambulance. They gave me a shot 2 Motrin and discharged me. I could not walk and I was alone. The pain was in my back, groin, and down my thigh in the front. That"s the worst pain, I"d rather have 100 babies. I had to bend like a U in order to make it to a cab and to my apartment. I'm still in pain and cannot stand up straight. My thigh is still numb.

Comment from: lemonella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I bent over to remove some articles of clothing from my luggage and after a popping sound in the back, a sharp pain quickly ran up my inner thigh. It felt as though I had been kicked. Since that time I have had this excruciating pain in the back of my thigh radiating up to and through the buttocks. It is difficult to walk without bending over thus putting more pressure on the right side. This pain has lasted for a week. This is the second time I have had this pain just from bending over, and yes I know the proper way to lift, etc. Time to see the doctor again. Acetaminophen is not getting the job done.

Comment from: jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My symptoms started after a hike in the snow. I was a little stiff and then did a 140 step stair climb twice. After that I started to get sharp electric pains in my inner thigh and throbbing from my hip down to my ankle on the right side. I tried acupuncture and physiotherapy and finally after a year I had an MRI to find that my disks were starting to show osteoarthritis. It has been 18 months now. I have had chiropractors, acupuncture and osteopaths work on me. I still cannot sleep at night without pills and meds. I stopped taking ibuprofen after I ended up with hemorrhoid problems due to constipation caused from it.

Comment from: Adriane T., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had sciatica over a year ago. At the time the pain was totally unbearable. I took pain medications, physical therapy and nothing helped until I went for acupuncture therapy. I took 24 treatments (twice a week for 12 weeks) and the pain was totally cured. The first 3-4 treatments showed no results. Then, little by little, the pain left my toes, then my calf, then my thigh, then my buttocks. Each time the doctor would ask me where the pain was, and as it moved, he would re-position the needles. This was the best treatment ever!

Comment from: MCCALL333, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had back surgery last year, but I am still having problems with pain in the buttocks and legs. Pain pill does not seem to be helping now.

Comment from: RedLady03, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I just came from the orthopedic doctor who is sending me to a back doctor. I thought it was a hip problem, but doctor says it sounds like my lower back and possibly a pinched nerve associated with the sciatica. My legs go numb especially when I drive. The pain is horrible. When I stand for long periods of time I ache from my waist down. I have shooting back pain and numb feet when I sit in a chair. I want this fixed soon.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?