Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Blue Ocean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had been bending straight over to bathe two cats and thoroughly cleaning the house because of fleas I found on the cats. The next day I walked quite a distance at a fast pace to go to the hospital to visit my dad. On the 3rd day, I found I had pulled my hamstring; the back of both legs hurt quite when bending to sit.

Comment from: tony, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had shoulder replaced in 2013, hip replaced in 2013, knee replaced in 2015 and have x-rayed all several times. All ok, doctor wants an MRI or CAT scan to see if my sciatic nerve or other problem exists.

Comment from: Maria, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Lifting a heavy shopping bag and carrying it in the house, I felt the pressure on my spine and knew I had done the wrong thing. My mattress is making the sciatica worse and is too firm. I will have to be more careful about lifting in the future. In the meantime, I take some painkillers, keep warm and rub with liniment hoping it will settle soon.

Comment from: Flyer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was running wood through a planer for several hours and felt a sharp pain in my back. A surgeon told me that sciatica is caused by repetitive motion.

Comment from: tiffany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have this sciatica for almost 3 months until now. It started when I was wearing 4 inch high heels and sitting in a bus for almost 4 hours every day. As per doctor's findings it was neuropathy. But I researched and then I found that it was sciatica nerve pain. I am taking Lyrica every day, it was helpful.

Comment from: Carol M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I recently had back fusion surgery with rod placements at L4, L5 and laminectomy in L3 (3weeks ago). I now have severe pain in my right buttocks, right hip, groin, right knee going down to my right calf, ankle and foot. It is so severe I am in tears a lot of the time. The only relief I get from the sciatica is to lie in bed on my left side with a pillow between my knees. I am still on Percocet every 4 hours, it helps some but not a lot. I am overweight but am working on that. I have lost 16 lb. in 4weeks bot have a lot more to lose.

Comment from: Tangled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I got up one afternoon after work, with sciatic pain from my waist down my left leg. I was unable to put much body weight on that leg. The next day I went to the Accident and Emergency department at work, where I was told that I had a pinched nerve. I was given some painkillers and sent home. It has been two weeks now and I have had no letup in that pain and I need to know what to do. There are nights that I cannot sleep because the pain is too much.

Comment from: venusflytrap, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

In 1999 I was in a car accident in which a pickup truck hit the passenger side of the car with me being the passenger and I have not been right since. I went to a chiropractor after, because I couldn't raise my right arm. As of today, I have experienced hip pain, numbness in feet, lower back pain, all over nerve/muscle pain with everything being concentrated on my right side. I diagnosed myself with spine problems and sciatica due to my researching. Also I am now experiencing the worst pain in my lower back, hip, buttocks and back thigh area. I have no insurance and am hoping for relief. I can hardly walk or stand. I am trying to retire and this incident has made me more aware of how much pain I will always be in.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?