Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: H, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

First time I suffered from hypokalemia I was 15 years old. I started getting, what I though, growth pain in my legs. It hurt more and more, until the day I suddenly fell to the ground. I got up, walked a few meters and fell to the ground again. I couldn't walk at all after this. I was rushed to the emergency where they noticed my potassium was at a low-low 1.1. I had to stay for over a week in intensive care. This has since then happened 4 times, about 4 to 5 years between. My potassium is most often around 1, 5-1, and 8 when I get to the emergency clinic. I now notice the tingling feeling and stiffness before it gets too low.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am from Kenya. I developed the ganglion cyst two years ago after I was stepped on the foot while playing rugby. Mine is quite painful and tender when it occurs.

Comment from: Crafter44, 45-54 Female Published: May 17

I have not been diagnosed with hypokalemia (yet), but I have all the symptoms. I keep telling my doctor how tired I get, I get so tired that I cannot function, my body just doesn't want to move. When I am driving I will get so tired that my eyes will want to close, I have to force myself to keep the eyes open until I get to my destination. Then about an hour or so later I'll be fine. I have had blood clots in my left leg twice. My leg gets tired and sore in the locations where the blood clots were. My doctor just doesn't seem to listen to me. I don't sleep at night either. I have restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea. I am so tired, I know there is something wrong but no one goes that extra step to find it. I'm at my wits' end.

Comment from: queen elizabeth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

My insomnia is cause by a multitude of psychiatric disorders, depression, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), anxiety and mood instability.

Comment from: Kiki, 45-54 Male Published: February 12

I have severe vertigo, vomiting, spinning, sweats, chills, severe weakness, and feel helpless. I just recently read about Epstein-Barr virus infection as the possible cause.

Comment from: Xora IR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had sciatica since I have had this nerve damage in my lower back (disc herniated) L4 L5. I could not have a deep sleep on my regular bed so I switched it to sofa in living room.

Comment from: miss m, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a Bartholin cyst develop into an abscess. My general physician prescribed antibiotics and advised me to have it removed. I went on a waiting list to have the operation. After taking the antibiotics the cyst didn't decrease and was the size of a large pea. It was painful to touch. I started drinking silica every day. Over the three months it took waiting for the surgery the cyst disappeared and has not returned. I ended up cancelling the surgery. If I had one again I would definitely take silica right away.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?