Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: tony, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had shoulder replaced in 2013, hip replaced in 2013, knee replaced in 2015 and have x-rayed all several times. All ok, doctor wants an MRI or CAT scan to see if my sciatic nerve or other problem exists.

Comment from: Maria, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Lifting a heavy shopping bag and carrying it in the house, I felt the pressure on my spine and knew I had done the wrong thing. My mattress is making the sciatica worse and is too firm. I will have to be more careful about lifting in the future. In the meantime, I take some painkillers, keep warm and rub with liniment hoping it will settle soon.

Comment from: Flyer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was running wood through a planer for several hours and felt a sharp pain in my back. A surgeon told me that sciatica is caused by repetitive motion.

Comment from: tiffany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have this sciatica for almost 3 months until now. It started when I was wearing 4 inch high heels and sitting in a bus for almost 4 hours every day. As per doctor's findings it was neuropathy. But I researched and then I found that it was sciatica nerve pain. I am taking Lyrica every day, it was helpful.

Comment from: venusflytrap, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

In 1999 I was in a car accident in which a pickup truck hit the passenger side of the car with me being the passenger and I have not been right since. I went to a chiropractor after, because I couldn't raise my right arm. As of today, I have experienced hip pain, numbness in feet, lower back pain, all over nerve/muscle pain with everything being concentrated on my right side. I diagnosed myself with spine problems and sciatica due to my researching. Also I am now experiencing the worst pain in my lower back, hip, buttocks and back thigh area. I have no insurance and am hoping for relief. I can hardly walk or stand. I am trying to retire and this incident has made me more aware of how much pain I will always be in.

Comment from: Tangled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I got up one afternoon after work, with sciatic pain from my waist down my left leg. I was unable to put much body weight on that leg. The next day I went to the Accident and Emergency department at work, where I was told that I had a pinched nerve. I was given some painkillers and sent home. It has been two weeks now and I have had no letup in that pain and I need to know what to do. There are nights that I cannot sleep because the pain is too much.

Comment from: paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a tumor on the back of my brain, they removed part of my skull and later the pain due to my sciatica has never stopped. I have daily pain and am trying several pain medications. I'm still in so much pain that it controls my life. I am very active and work out every day, but the pain never stops.

Comment from: olderlady, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My sciatica is from sitting for too long of periods in a recliner! I was told to get off my back side and move around! I no longer am sitting in a recliner, it was the first time in my life I ever had. I do not find them good for a person's back. I am hoping this will go away now that I am sitting in a straight chair (and not for long periods of time) and with ice packs when I am, and seeing my chiropractor.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?