Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: dlo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

Have had sciatica since I had a slipped disk when in High School track. That was 40 years ago and have had the pain ever since. I spoke to a friend which was a physical therapist one day many years ago about this paid and he suggested doing an exercise that would strengthen my stomach muscles and take the pressure off my spine and back. That was about 30 years ago when I started doing setups every morning when I got up. Within a few weeks I was doing 150 setups every morning and was pain free. Then four weeks ago I have surgery and was told by the surgeon to stop the setups for at least 8 weeks. I wasn't sure how much good the setups did till now. My back now hurts so severely that I can barely move, no pain killer over the counter can touch. Just can't to get back to my setups so I can get back to normal and active life again. The setups really worked!

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

The cause of my sciatica was a fall on my bedpost landing on the left side of my lower back.

Comment from: Marie-Claire, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I have recently been diagnosed with sciatica. My doctor first prescribed a muscle relaxant which did not help. A nurse friend of mine has the condition also and told me to have my doctor prescribe Gabapentin which killed the pain with no side-effects. However, my doctor wants me to have tests done to find the cause of the sciatica.

Comment from: Rich, 45-54 Male Published: July 11

Car accident a couple years ago left me with bulging discs in my lower back. Went bowling for the first time in 10 years and now can barely walk.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?