Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: ltay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a fall here six weeks ago. I now have numbness in both legs. Right leg the whole upper leg is numb. Thought maybe I could have damaged my sciatic nerve. Not, sure what's going on. I fell out of a hot tub to concrete real hard. I'm losing feeling in both legs now. My lower back hurts and pain in joints in back.

Comment from: Painter man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

28 years of construction, being on ladders and reaching and stretching, hammering, painting. It has taken its toll and for those in the trades you know how bad sciatic pain can be. I'm dealing with a severe case and still have to work with it because there is no insurance. I'm on meds but that is it, hope I can get covered this spring and get testing done. My heart goes out to those with it; it is the kind of pain that can make you crazy. Good luck and God bless all who are dealing with this. I find heat and rest do help me but that is hard because I don't have the luxury of lots of free time.

Comment from: Pain after epideral, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I've always experienced low back ache a week prior to my menstrual cycle after an epidermal 12 years ago when I delivered my son. This time the low back pain took my breath away. I was unable to get up or sit down. The back pain went away however the last four days I've had increasing numbness starting at my left buttocks down the back of my left leg to my back of knee, pain behind my thigh area. It's painful to walk. I tried stretching my leg out, icy hot with massage, Motrin with no results.

Comment from: suzyQ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have had sciatica pain for years. I had a laminectomy 9 years ago and it still basically hurt, but not as bad. Then it started to get so bad about a year ago that I started to consider some kind of surgery to repair my vertebra that is tweaked to the side and with no matter in between the vertebrae's above it. L5S1. It is bone on bone. To make matters worse I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and my orthopedic surgeon won't touch me as she doesn't think my back could hold the titanium parts they would need to use to fix my low back. I am in severe pain most days and without pain medicine, I would not be able to function at all! The pain radiates down my left leg and into the foot and seems to be getting worse. It doesn't matter if I sit or stand, the pain is still there. I have to sleep (when I can) on my right side as the pressure on the left causes excruciating pain. I need help!

Comment from: dlo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

Have had sciatica since I had a slipped disk when in High School track. That was 40 years ago and have had the pain ever since. I spoke to a friend which was a physical therapist one day many years ago about this paid and he suggested doing an exercise that would strengthen my stomach muscles and take the pressure off my spine and back. That was about 30 years ago when I started doing setups every morning when I got up. Within a few weeks I was doing 150 setups every morning and was pain free. Then four weeks ago I have surgery and was told by the surgeon to stop the setups for at least 8 weeks. I wasn't sure how much good the setups did till now. My back now hurts so severely that I can barely move, no pain killer over the counter can touch. Just can't to get back to my setups so I can get back to normal and active life again. The setups really worked!

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

The cause of my sciatica was a fall on my bedpost landing on the left side of my lower back.

Comment from: Marie-Claire, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I have recently been diagnosed with sciatica. My doctor first prescribed a muscle relaxant which did not help. A nurse friend of mine has the condition also and told me to have my doctor prescribe Gabapentin which killed the pain with no side-effects. However, my doctor wants me to have tests done to find the cause of the sciatica.

Comment from: Rich, 45-54 Male Published: July 11

Car accident a couple years ago left me with bulging discs in my lower back. Went bowling for the first time in 10 years and now can barely walk.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?