Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: hooptyme, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

A couple weeks ago I was rushed to the emergency room, I had no idea what was happening. I couldn't stand, I had to be on my hands and knees getting around. I took pain pills but no luck. The doctor at the hospital gave medicines, prednisone and oxycodone and as soon he put in my IV, the pain shot down to the tips of my feet like 10,000 needles poking me. Well, he took me off work for a week, just bed rest and nothing more. I went back to work but I move slow and the nerve in my calf still tightens up but I take it slow, so this pain has gotten better. At the hospital they called mine an acute nerve pain which I heard was real bad so my doctor has me going to physical therapy because I still have a limp to my step.

Comment from: charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 44-year-old woman with sciatica. Sometimes I can't move my legs and the pain is so bad all I want to do is stay in bed. But I have no insurance, so I must suffer and try to treat it with meds, which help until they run out. Then the pain comes right back.

Comment from: Giggley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a bad case of sciatica about two years ago when I went to bend down and pet my cat. All of a sudden, I felt a pain and could hardly walk. The doctor said I had been overdoing things. For example, too much exercising, always going, and never sitting down except at night time. I figured I overexerted myself. I was on muscle relaxants and bed rest, except she told me to sleep on the floor. That's what would make a difference. I'm assuming your back gets tired also from a busy life. So, you learn how to slow down.

Comment from: lavender, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Four years ago, I hurt my back. For nine months, I received different types of treatment at a hospital. I was told the cause of my sciatica was a herniated disc on the sciatic nerve. I have never felt pain like this before, and I've given birth to three children. Gradually, it started to get better, although I had to give up work. Now it has been four years and the pain has started again. Walking is agony. I just don't know what to do.

Comment from: PhotoLover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I started with sciatica when I was about 60. So much leg pain that I had to to be pushed around in a wheel chair. Even when I felt some relief, I would have to get up in the middle of the night and walk the floor until most of the pain went away. The day one of my neighbors told me that I should go on his inversion table and it was the best day of my life. The next morning I realized that I only had very slight pain. The very next day every bit of pain was gone. Originally, the doctors wanted to operate. I am so very grateful to my neighbor for allowing me to use his inversion table. I am 71 years old now and for 3 years, I have had absolutely NO pain from sciatica.

Comment from: Cass, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I just found out I have sciatica. I have Back pain since I was in high school. I fell last June and landed on my lower back and now I can't walk for a long period of time, or stand, I can't sleep through the night because of the pain. ER doctor prescribed me the medication which does not work so far.

Comment from: magstor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started in my 7th month of pregnancy. I was diagnosed arthritis earlier which started from my knees and eventually traveled to my lower back. Later after the delivery I was fine but then I ended up with endometriosis. This could have worsened my sciatica. Now that my daughter is 1, I am experiencing horrible pain going down my leg. With two little kids it's almost impossible for me to rest or even stop bending. External applications of oils and ointments is just not sufficient. Pain killers are not working, not even heating pad. I dread taking medication since it affects at one area and causes another ailment, don't know what to do.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?