Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: lushy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had a pain in my upper leg now for around 2 months. It started after a heavy exercising session and now it hurts if I continue. The pain is more in my hip joint where the leg fits into. It hurts on the outer part of my leg as well. My pain threshold is very good so I didn't feel any pain in my bum cheek which I recall, or the pain hasn't gone to my toes or the back of my leg. It's all in the joint and really hurts to press the outer part of my thigh. I've booked for the doctor and will get a massage and go and see my chiropractor. I'm normally so fit I never get any pain or anything like this. It also throbs at night deep inside my leg and I feel like my bone is pulsating. It hurts to walk and climb stairs too!

Comment from: arimigal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had knee replacement and later a lower back fusion, the Sciatica nerve has hurt me so bad in the knee replacement that I can't take it. It hurts all the time and worse when I sit with my knee's bent but it's a 24 hour deal, I tried the shots in the nerve and nothing I have had physical therapy and nothing I don't what else to do I don't want to live the rest of my life in this pain.

Comment from: boocj6, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Two years ago, while caring for my dying father at home, he expired in the bathroom and I lifted him and carried him back to the bedroom. Of course, doing that hurt my back but I would do it again in a heart beat. However, every once in a while, I will do something that will aggravate it and the sciatic nerve then inflames. Last week, I golfed and that was all it took. I have been in constant pain since that time. It is in my left hip/back, and radiates down my left leg all the way to my ankle. At times, my lower left leg and foot either have pins & needles or goes numb. I find that lying down does not alleviate the pain at all so sleeping is a challenge. For OTC relief, I tried 400 mg of ibuprofen but that does not help much. I found the best to be Aleve. It helps to calm down the irritation and helps with the pain. It is so bad at times that I burst into tears. Today is the first day I missed work because of it.

Comment from: Telpetin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I gave my three dogs a bath so I was standing up while the upper half of my body was bent forward. It looked like I was taking a bow for 30 minutes.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Oxalate Acid poisioning stemmed from eating Rhubarb has caused numbing throbbing pains from the lower back, hips, thigh, knee and to the center of the buttocks. Always have to switch positions at night to releive the pains. A body pillow does help some. All this besides a messed up digestive system for months. Don't let any one tell you that only the leaves of rhubarb are poisionous. I am here to tell you that it is not true.

Comment from: wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

My sciatica started with lower back pain. After a week, I got pain in my left hip radiating down my leg. The only position that relieved pain was lying on my back or stomach.

Comment from: mary landry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Sciatica is the worst pain ever. I was in hard labor for 72 hours, but I'll take that pain over sciatic nerve pain any day. It feels like an army tearing my legs apart. it's so bad, that it has caused me to lose mobility in my left leg. I walk with a cane. I have already fallen twice. In the past three weeks I've been to the ER twice, and all they do is medicate me. I would rather have the surgery if it's going to fix the problem, than be on medications for the rest of my life.

Comment from: tersky, 35-44 Female Published: May 09

A trip to the chiropractor!!! Try acupuncture if anything for relief of sciatic pain. At least they can make the broken leg feeling caused by a chiropractor feel merely like a broken ankle and calf.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?