Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Telpetin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I gave my three dogs a bath so I was standing up while the upper half of my body was bent forward. It looked like I was taking a bow for 30 minutes.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Oxalate Acid poisioning stemmed from eating Rhubarb has caused numbing throbbing pains from the lower back, hips, thigh, knee and to the center of the buttocks. Always have to switch positions at night to releive the pains. A body pillow does help some. All this besides a messed up digestive system for months. Don't let any one tell you that only the leaves of rhubarb are poisionous. I am here to tell you that it is not true.

Comment from: wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

My sciatica started with lower back pain. After a week, I got pain in my left hip radiating down my leg. The only position that relieved pain was lying on my back or stomach.

Comment from: mary landry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Sciatica is the worst pain ever. I was in hard labor for 72 hours, but I'll take that pain over sciatic nerve pain any day. It feels like an army tearing my legs apart. it's so bad, that it has caused me to lose mobility in my left leg. I walk with a cane. I have already fallen twice. In the past three weeks I've been to the ER twice, and all they do is medicate me. I would rather have the surgery if it's going to fix the problem, than be on medications for the rest of my life.

Comment from: tersky, 35-44 Female Published: May 09

A trip to the chiropractor!!! Try acupuncture if anything for relief of sciatic pain. At least they can make the broken leg feeling caused by a chiropractor feel merely like a broken ankle and calf.

Comment from: ltay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a fall here six weeks ago. I now have numbness in both legs. Right leg the whole upper leg is numb. Thought maybe I could have damaged my sciatic nerve. Not, sure what's going on. I fell out of a hot tub to concrete real hard. I'm losing feeling in both legs now. My lower back hurts and pain in joints in back.

Comment from: Painter man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

28 years of construction, being on ladders and reaching and stretching, hammering, painting. It has taken its toll and for those in the trades you know how bad sciatic pain can be. I'm dealing with a severe case and still have to work with it because there is no insurance. I'm on meds but that is it, hope I can get covered this spring and get testing done. My heart goes out to those with it; it is the kind of pain that can make you crazy. Good luck and God bless all who are dealing with this. I find heat and rest do help me but that is hard because I don't have the luxury of lots of free time.

Comment from: Pain after epideral, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I've always experienced low back ache a week prior to my menstrual cycle after an epidermal 12 years ago when I delivered my son. This time the low back pain took my breath away. I was unable to get up or sit down. The back pain went away however the last four days I've had increasing numbness starting at my left buttocks down the back of my left leg to my back of knee, pain behind my thigh area. It's painful to walk. I tried stretching my leg out, icy hot with massage, Motrin with no results.

Comment from: suzyQ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have had sciatica pain for years. I had a laminectomy 9 years ago and it still basically hurt, but not as bad. Then it started to get so bad about a year ago that I started to consider some kind of surgery to repair my vertebra that is tweaked to the side and with no matter in between the vertebrae's above it. L5S1. It is bone on bone. To make matters worse I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and my orthopedic surgeon won't touch me as she doesn't think my back could hold the titanium parts they would need to use to fix my low back. I am in severe pain most days and without pain medicine, I would not be able to function at all! The pain radiates down my left leg and into the foot and seems to be getting worse. It doesn't matter if I sit or stand, the pain is still there. I have to sleep (when I can) on my right side as the pressure on the left causes excruciating pain. I need help!

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?