Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Cass, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I just found out I have sciatica. I have Back pain since I was in high school. I fell last June and landed on my lower back and now I can't walk for a long period of time, or stand, I can't sleep through the night because of the pain. ER doctor prescribed me the medication which does not work so far.

Comment from: magstor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started in my 7th month of pregnancy. I was diagnosed arthritis earlier which started from my knees and eventually traveled to my lower back. Later after the delivery I was fine but then I ended up with endometriosis. This could have worsened my sciatica. Now that my daughter is 1, I am experiencing horrible pain going down my leg. With two little kids it's almost impossible for me to rest or even stop bending. External applications of oils and ointments is just not sufficient. Pain killers are not working, not even heating pad. I dread taking medication since it affects at one area and causes another ailment, don't know what to do.

Comment from: babe, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I started working out in 2001 5 days a week for probably 3 hours a day. I have always had physical jobs. Two years ago while getting out of bed something in my right hip popped. I had so much pain that I couldn't walk straight. Three days later I went to the emergency room. They found everything except what was causing the problem. Eventually after 3 MRI's and 2 CT scans they found herniated disks, spinal stenosis, sciatica and bursitis in my hips. I'm only 52. This has been going on for 2 years now. I've had the shots and they have done nothing. The doctor has me on Norco 10 mgs and a muscle relaxer which barely takes the edge off. I went for a walk yesterday and couldn't get back home. My right leg gave out and the pain was so bad that I had to drag my leg for 4 blocks. According to my doctors the cause was my working the wrong jobs, and going to the gym. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 02

I started with lower back pain at Easter while playing on the floor with my grandson. I had no problem that day but the next, ouch! It was just lumbar pain for about 6 months, on and off. Now I regret not going to see about it earlier, as it eventually affected my sciatica nerve. I do physio, had a steroid injection, and took Mobic 15mg which have all helped. I was getting almost pain free. I could walk a couple of feet slowly and thought I was getting back on track. Then one night recently, I decided I was getting so much better, that I slept without a pillow between my knees, or underneath my knees when lying on my back. I was immediately sore the next morning. So today I'm still fairly sore and dreading going back to work which requires me to walk about a 700 metre twice each way. I'm hoping and praying that the pain will go away fairly soon. I'll most likely opt to have another steroid in a few weeks time. Apparently you have to wait 3 months between injections. I'm hinking of trying a chiropractor as well.

Comment from: lushy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had a pain in my upper leg now for around 2 months. It started after a heavy exercising session and now it hurts if I continue. The pain is more in my hip joint where the leg fits into. It hurts on the outer part of my leg as well. My pain threshold is very good so I didn't feel any pain in my bum cheek which I recall, or the pain hasn't gone to my toes or the back of my leg. It's all in the joint and really hurts to press the outer part of my thigh. I've booked for the doctor and will get a massage and go and see my chiropractor. I'm normally so fit I never get any pain or anything like this. It also throbs at night deep inside my leg and I feel like my bone is pulsating. It hurts to walk and climb stairs too!

Comment from: arimigal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had knee replacement and later a lower back fusion, the Sciatica nerve has hurt me so bad in the knee replacement that I can't take it. It hurts all the time and worse when I sit with my knee's bent but it's a 24 hour deal, I tried the shots in the nerve and nothing I have had physical therapy and nothing I don't what else to do I don't want to live the rest of my life in this pain.

Comment from: boocj6, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Two years ago, while caring for my dying father at home, he expired in the bathroom and I lifted him and carried him back to the bedroom. Of course, doing that hurt my back but I would do it again in a heart beat. However, every once in a while, I will do something that will aggravate it and the sciatic nerve then inflames. Last week, I golfed and that was all it took. I have been in constant pain since that time. It is in my left hip/back, and radiates down my left leg all the way to my ankle. At times, my lower left leg and foot either have pins & needles or goes numb. I find that lying down does not alleviate the pain at all so sleeping is a challenge. For OTC relief, I tried 400 mg of ibuprofen but that does not help much. I found the best to be Aleve. It helps to calm down the irritation and helps with the pain. It is so bad at times that I burst into tears. Today is the first day I missed work because of it.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?