Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Giggley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a bad case of sciatica about two years ago when I went to bend down and pet my cat. All of a sudden, I felt a pain and could hardly walk. The doctor said I had been overdoing things. For example, too much exercising, always going, and never sitting down except at night time. I figured I overexerted myself. I was on muscle relaxants and bed rest, except she told me to sleep on the floor. That's what would make a difference. I'm assuming your back gets tired also from a busy life. So, you learn how to slow down.

Comment from: lavender, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Four years ago, I hurt my back. For nine months, I received different types of treatment at a hospital. I was told the cause of my sciatica was a herniated disc on the sciatic nerve. I have never felt pain like this before, and I've given birth to three children. Gradually, it started to get better, although I had to give up work. Now it has been four years and the pain has started again. Walking is agony. I just don't know what to do.

Comment from: PhotoLover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I started with sciatica when I was about 60. So much leg pain that I had to to be pushed around in a wheel chair. Even when I felt some relief, I would have to get up in the middle of the night and walk the floor until most of the pain went away. The day one of my neighbors told me that I should go on his inversion table and it was the best day of my life. The next morning I realized that I only had very slight pain. The very next day every bit of pain was gone. Originally, the doctors wanted to operate. I am so very grateful to my neighbor for allowing me to use his inversion table. I am 71 years old now and for 3 years, I have had absolutely NO pain from sciatica.

Comment from: Cass, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I just found out I have sciatica. I have Back pain since I was in high school. I fell last June and landed on my lower back and now I can't walk for a long period of time, or stand, I can't sleep through the night because of the pain. ER doctor prescribed me the medication which does not work so far.

Comment from: magstor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

It started in my 7th month of pregnancy. I was diagnosed arthritis earlier which started from my knees and eventually traveled to my lower back. Later after the delivery I was fine but then I ended up with endometriosis. This could have worsened my sciatica. Now that my daughter is 1, I am experiencing horrible pain going down my leg. With two little kids it's almost impossible for me to rest or even stop bending. External applications of oils and ointments is just not sufficient. Pain killers are not working, not even heating pad. I dread taking medication since it affects at one area and causes another ailment, don't know what to do.

Comment from: babe, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I started working out in 2001 5 days a week for probably 3 hours a day. I have always had physical jobs. Two years ago while getting out of bed something in my right hip popped. I had so much pain that I couldn't walk straight. Three days later I went to the emergency room. They found everything except what was causing the problem. Eventually after 3 MRI's and 2 CT scans they found herniated disks, spinal stenosis, sciatica and bursitis in my hips. I'm only 52. This has been going on for 2 years now. I've had the shots and they have done nothing. The doctor has me on Norco 10 mgs and a muscle relaxer which barely takes the edge off. I went for a walk yesterday and couldn't get back home. My right leg gave out and the pain was so bad that I had to drag my leg for 4 blocks. According to my doctors the cause was my working the wrong jobs, and going to the gym. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 02

I started with lower back pain at Easter while playing on the floor with my grandson. I had no problem that day but the next, ouch! It was just lumbar pain for about 6 months, on and off. Now I regret not going to see about it earlier, as it eventually affected my sciatica nerve. I do physio, had a steroid injection, and took Mobic 15mg which have all helped. I was getting almost pain free. I could walk a couple of feet slowly and thought I was getting back on track. Then one night recently, I decided I was getting so much better, that I slept without a pillow between my knees, or underneath my knees when lying on my back. I was immediately sore the next morning. So today I'm still fairly sore and dreading going back to work which requires me to walk about a 700 metre twice each way. I'm hoping and praying that the pain will go away fairly soon. I'll most likely opt to have another steroid in a few weeks time. Apparently you have to wait 3 months between injections. I'm hinking of trying a chiropractor as well.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?