Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Gregmeister, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am a male 6'4". All my life I have occasionally hurt my lower back. In mechanical terms, I felt it was because of the extra torque on the joint (fulcrum) created by a longer body (lever). That is just my thought. Then in my early 40's I found that my bone density was horrible. Sitting for long periods (flying, driving) really aggravated the situation. I quit using a wallet in my back pocket because of the uneven sitting position it caused. This helped some. Then I found that my spine was affected and basically worn down due to my low bone density. Once it got so bad while driving that I stopped at a chiropractor made it worse with heat and a tens machine. During the treatment the pain became so bad I couldn't walk and ended up crawling for two days. A USC spine specialist said it was from a pinched spinal nerve. So sitting for long periods seems to aggravate it. It usually manifests when I am standing and I need to get pressure off by squatting, sitting or lying down. I have some Lidocaine (Lidoderm) patches I am going to try. Also going to treat heat and cold and see if either work.

Comment from: nino2448, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I have never had back pain until 2004 that I was rear ended by a truck, I had a couple bulging disc due to the accidents my sciatica was so bad that I went from doctors to doctors, doing therapy, chiropractor I felt relive but the pain came back I went to neurology after they saw my MRI he said that no surgery can be done because is to dangerous I went to the 2do neurology to hear the same thing and the 3er one told me that he knows a doctor that can help me so I went to that doctor at 52st New York and I am a new person, this doctor told me that there is no risk that most of his patients got better and only take like 30 minutes I trusted him and I am a new person now.

Comment from: Diemand in the rough, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am a 37 year old female and several years ago (for as long as I can remember ago that is)I noticed I was having lower back pain that radiated down my back across my buttocks and down the backs of my legs sometimes one or the other sometimes both. I went to my primary care DR. and was told it was my sciatica. I was told to do some stretching/exercises. Then in 2004 I totaled my SUV in the winter by hitting a tree and rolling it over. I was going to physical therapy, chiropractor, tried acupuncture and was given Ibuprophine 800mg and Flexeral (muscle relaxer) and sadly these don't help with any of the chronic pain I have. So I was sent to a pain clinic and was set up for several tests like, MRI, nerve "shock" tests, cortisone shots and still doing the physical/massage therapy. Then I lost my insurance due to loss of job due to the pain I have been having with all of this. So I never got to have all the tests done and it has since been a year and a half now and I am still trying to get new insurance so I can continue the treatment(s) I am thankful I have a great boyfriend of 4 years who tries his best to help when I am in severe pain with massages and such. Once I get insurance again I am hoping to continue where I left of and get somewhere, quickly I am praying, with all of this chronic pain! I have found it to be helpful reading about others with the same issues and hope people find help on here from all of our input. Thank you and good luck and god bless to everyone out there suffering.

Comment from: jdskino, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had sciatica it was so bad I couldn't walk I couldn't sleep in my bed. I found something that worked for me and I would like to share it. I bought an inversion table within a couple of days of using it I was 70% better Then I ordered from GNC High T Black it's a testosterone booster within 2 days of taking it I feel great! I think Low t may be the cause of sciatica in the first place. They can't say for sure what the root cause of sciatica is I think it has to do with low t. I hope this works for you and if it does please post your story so maybe we can help others.

Comment from: yorkieluver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

In 1994 I got out of bed. I took 2 steps and fell in the floor with excruciating pain in my lower back. After an MRI I found out I had a mild case of Spina Bifida and I had a hole in my spine and the bony part beside the disk wasn't there. My spine had small fracture and was moving back and forth. I was told by my Neurologist that I had to have surgery to stabilize my spine. Had surgery where they took a piece of bone from my back pelvic and put it with screws and plates in the L4-L5 part of my spine. I have had severe sciatica pain since. I have had all injections, stimulator placed, saw 2 specialists. 1 who did an injection in my Sacrum joint and 1 in Atlanta who did injection in sacriol joint. All Drs. I've seen say there is nothing left to do that I must live with my pain! Very discouraged since I've dealt with this for 17 years. I go to pain management and have to take meds to try to have a somewhat normal life. I don't know what else to do!

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?