Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: yorkieluver, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

In 1994 I got out of bed. I took 2 steps and fell in the floor with excruciating pain in my lower back. After an MRI I found out I had a mild case of Spina Bifida and I had a hole in my spine and the bony part beside the disk wasn't there. My spine had small fracture and was moving back and forth. I was told by my Neurologist that I had to have surgery to stabilize my spine. Had surgery where they took a piece of bone from my back pelvic and put it with screws and plates in the L4-L5 part of my spine. I have had severe sciatica pain since. I have had all injections, stimulator placed, saw 2 specialists. 1 who did an injection in my Sacrum joint and 1 in Atlanta who did injection in sacriol joint. All Drs. I've seen say there is nothing left to do that I must live with my pain! Very discouraged since I've dealt with this for 17 years. I go to pain management and have to take meds to try to have a somewhat normal life. I don't know what else to do!

Comment from: Modifiedgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have fibromyalgia and I was having constant lower back pain for months, which my doctors chalked up to fibro pain. I kept insisting it was something more as my pain got worse by the day and moved into my hip. It became constant and excruciating as I was doing everything they told me, physical therapy, traction, chronic pain management classes, even biofeedback and therapy. I finally convinced a doctor to do an MRI and it was discovered I had 3 herniated discs and degenerative disc disease. I take 90 mgs of morphine daily, along with 90 Percocet a month. I've had epidural steroid injections and it still feels like someone is trying to drill my hip joint away from the inside out.

Comment from: rube, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a back operation for spinal stenosis. It did not cure by back pain. Within that same year they gave me two injections and they did no good. They gave me another steroid injection in a different place and it did no good. I immediately developed a bad case of sciatica on my right buttock, hip and my leg. I have the pain now for three weeks day and night and still no relief. I can hardly walk or stand up. I go to a very large hospital health center and they did not help.

Comment from: hmelton, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have a hazardous duty job and had a mattress yanked from underneath me. My MRI showed two torn discs (l5, s1) and my doctor told me that cortisone injections may or may not work, and haven't. Then the pain has hit my sciatic nerve causing severe pain where I cry, scream and throw up. Even percocet cannot touch the pain. The doctor will slowly take me off percocet, I've already had 40 physical therapy sessions and still no relief. Nothing's helping.

Comment from: Allan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

After reading some of the horror stories of Sciatica I think even though I am in extreme pain in my lower calf as of now after two weeks in which it started all of a sudden for no reason in my lower back and progressed to my buttock, and basically all of my leg and including my foot. I have never experienced sciatica before this, but do have lower back pain history for some time that has been treatable, but anyway after the first week of I will call full pain (lower back, buttocks, upper leg, calf to foot)one of the symptoms left for no reason, I didn't even have it diagnosed yet, anyway the pain in the lower back suddenly went away leaving me with only the leg, calf and foot which by no means is a picnic but better that full pain. I was diagnosed and prescribed pain killers but not much relief. I can sit and lie down but find the more I sit around or lie down the stronger the pain is when I first try to walk or twist or bend over which by the way is almost impossible. I tend to walk like a monkey because I find the lower I walk to the ground the less pain if I straighten up the pain is more severe. I hope to take some of the advice of some of the other people who suffer and maybe someone can take something from mine which is not a lot, because I am not sure if rest or exercise is the answer. Thanks and good luck people.

Comment from: charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 44-year-old woman with sciatica. Sometimes I can't move my legs and the pain is so bad all I want to do is stay in bed. But I have no insurance, so I must suffer and try to treat it with meds, which help until they run out. Then the pain comes right back.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?