Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Tangled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I got up one afternoon after work, with sciatic pain from my waist down my left leg. I was unable to put much body weight on that leg. The next day I went to the Accident and Emergency department at work, where I was told that I had a pinched nerve. I was given some painkillers and sent home. It has been two weeks now and I have had no letup in that pain and I need to know what to do. There are nights that I cannot sleep because the pain is too much.

Comment from: Graeme, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

The cause of my sciatica was because of problem while playing rugby 40 years ago.

Comment from: reitme, Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have failed low back syndrome with surgery in 1993 for disc rupture at the L 4-5 and L5 S1. I developed significant scar tissue and later further injured. I now require spinal fusion, yet this surgery is very prone to failure. Removing the scar tissue causing the sciatic pain often makes it return, and even worse than previous to surgery.

Comment from: ANGELA C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have severe pain in my hip and left leg, this pain is unbearable. I can't sleep or get out of bed half the time. I'm on a pain medicine that my doctor gave me and sometimes it helps but most of the time I'm in bed with sharp pains shooting down my left leg to my foot. I also have back problems, herniated bulging disc, degenerative disc disease and more problems with my back. I can't get any relief from this pain, I tried ice and heat and ibuprofen 800mg, and pain medications but nothing seems to help, this is the worst pain, and won't go away.

Comment from: WassailT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Sciatica has been a recurring problem beginning in my mid-30's. In the past 10 years, it has cropped up just five times, two were very intense. The only variable in my life just prior to these episodes has been very high levels of stress - each and every time. Getting back to my stretching and isometric-type exercises, daily walking, and behavioral/self care measures works well. Good sleep hygiene is a must.

Comment from: klynn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a 23 year old female. I believe the cause of my sciatica is from something that happened during pregnancy. I never really had back pain before I was pregnant, but during my pregnancy I had severe lower back pain (my son was also 10.6 pounds, so I'm sure carrying that weight around wasn't helping) that was 2 years ago and I have had sciatica ever since. Most times it's not too bad and I can still walk lol, but I have had about 5 really bad times that I was totally disabled for a week at a time. It is so bad to the point it would take me half an hour just to get out of my bed in the morning, I could hardly walk and when the jolt of pain hit I would just have to stop and not move anything, oh and sitting down on the toilet and getting back up is the absolute worst pain I have ever had! It usually happens on my left side, but has happened on my right side a couple times. I can usually feel when it's getting irritated, I get a little pull or jolt like feeling in my lower back and buttocks area and I can slow it down from getting any worse by stretching a lot. Stretching is the best thing that works for me. I have to do it a lot though. I have not been to a doctor about it though, so there could be other things that might help me.

Comment from: Gregmeister, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am a male 6'4". All my life I have occasionally hurt my lower back. In mechanical terms, I felt it was because of the extra torque on the joint (fulcrum) created by a longer body (lever). That is just my thought. Then in my early 40's I found that my bone density was horrible. Sitting for long periods (flying, driving) really aggravated the situation. I quit using a wallet in my back pocket because of the uneven sitting position it caused. This helped some. Then I found that my spine was affected and basically worn down due to my low bone density. Once it got so bad while driving that I stopped at a chiropractor made it worse with heat and a tens machine. During the treatment the pain became so bad I couldn't walk and ended up crawling for two days. A USC spine specialist said it was from a pinched spinal nerve. So sitting for long periods seems to aggravate it. It usually manifests when I am standing and I need to get pressure off by squatting, sitting or lying down. I have some Lidocaine (Lidoderm) patches I am going to try. Also going to treat heat and cold and see if either work.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?