Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: Maria, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Lifting a heavy shopping bag and carrying it in the house, I felt the pressure on my spine and knew I had done the wrong thing. My mattress is making the sciatica worse and is too firm. I will have to be more careful about lifting in the future. In the meantime, I take some painkillers, keep warm and rub with liniment hoping it will settle soon.

Comment from: Flyer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was running wood through a planer for several hours and felt a sharp pain in my back. A surgeon told me that sciatica is caused by repetitive motion.

Comment from: tiffany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have this sciatica for almost 3 months until now. It started when I was wearing 4 inch high heels and sitting in a bus for almost 4 hours every day. As per doctor's findings it was neuropathy. But I researched and then I found that it was sciatica nerve pain. I am taking Lyrica every day, it was helpful.

Comment from: venusflytrap, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

In 1999 I was in a car accident in which a pickup truck hit the passenger side of the car with me being the passenger and I have not been right since. I went to a chiropractor after, because I couldn't raise my right arm. As of today, I have experienced hip pain, numbness in feet, lower back pain, all over nerve/muscle pain with everything being concentrated on my right side. I diagnosed myself with spine problems and sciatica due to my researching. Also I am now experiencing the worst pain in my lower back, hip, buttocks and back thigh area. I have no insurance and am hoping for relief. I can hardly walk or stand. I am trying to retire and this incident has made me more aware of how much pain I will always be in.

Comment from: paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a tumor on the back of my brain, they removed part of my skull and later the pain due to my sciatica has never stopped. I have daily pain and am trying several pain medications. I'm still in so much pain that it controls my life. I am very active and work out every day, but the pain never stops.

Comment from: olderlady, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My sciatica is from sitting for too long of periods in a recliner! I was told to get off my back side and move around! I no longer am sitting in a recliner, it was the first time in my life I ever had. I do not find them good for a person's back. I am hoping this will go away now that I am sitting in a straight chair (and not for long periods of time) and with ice packs when I am, and seeing my chiropractor.

Comment from: kyrismom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was sitting on a hard wooden pew at church two days ago. I began to have some pain in my left leg and thought it was a muscle spasm. When I got home I found that I had pain down the backs of both of my legs and some pain in my buttocks on both sides. I feel pretty sure it is sciatica because I irritated the sciatic nerves by sitting on that hard pew. I am very thin and have almost no padding on my butt. My doctor saw me yesterday and thinks that is indeed what happened and that it is not classic sciatica. I am taking some gabapentin and 250 mg of Tylenol twice a day. It is hard to stand and walk, but ok lying down or sitting. I usually walk an hour a day.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I clearly have never felt any pain like this in my life, it's worse than labor pain. I try to stay focus and stay on my feet. I don't want to feel totally helpless although this pain took me out of work for two weeks. I went back to work only for a week and a half to have to take off again because the pain in my foot is so bad I feel like my foot wants to explode. It's a little better with the percocet but I don't want to be taking drugs that will cause other health issues. GOD is still in the healing business and I know this is only for the moment things will get better. This is some serious pain don't wish it on anyone. Treatment is allowing your body to fight back and gain control that's what I plan because anything is possible with GOD. May GOD bless anyone who is suffering from this excruciating pain GOD Bless. Christine NY

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?