Patient Comments: Sciatica - Causes

What was the cause of your sciatica?

Comment from: paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a tumor on the back of my brain, they removed part of my skull and later the pain due to my sciatica has never stopped. I have daily pain and am trying several pain medications. I'm still in so much pain that it controls my life. I am very active and work out every day, but the pain never stops.

Comment from: olderlady, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My sciatica is from sitting for too long of periods in a recliner! I was told to get off my back side and move around! I no longer am sitting in a recliner, it was the first time in my life I ever had. I do not find them good for a person's back. I am hoping this will go away now that I am sitting in a straight chair (and not for long periods of time) and with ice packs when I am, and seeing my chiropractor.

Comment from: kyrismom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was sitting on a hard wooden pew at church two days ago. I began to have some pain in my left leg and thought it was a muscle spasm. When I got home I found that I had pain down the backs of both of my legs and some pain in my buttocks on both sides. I feel pretty sure it is sciatica because I irritated the sciatic nerves by sitting on that hard pew. I am very thin and have almost no padding on my butt. My doctor saw me yesterday and thinks that is indeed what happened and that it is not classic sciatica. I am taking some gabapentin and 250 mg of Tylenol twice a day. It is hard to stand and walk, but ok lying down or sitting. I usually walk an hour a day.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I clearly have never felt any pain like this in my life, it's worse than labor pain. I try to stay focus and stay on my feet. I don't want to feel totally helpless although this pain took me out of work for two weeks. I went back to work only for a week and a half to have to take off again because the pain in my foot is so bad I feel like my foot wants to explode. It's a little better with the percocet but I don't want to be taking drugs that will cause other health issues. GOD is still in the healing business and I know this is only for the moment things will get better. This is some serious pain don't wish it on anyone. Treatment is allowing your body to fight back and gain control that's what I plan because anything is possible with GOD. May GOD bless anyone who is suffering from this excruciating pain GOD Bless. Christine NY

Comment from: Graeme, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

The cause of my sciatica was because of problem while playing rugby 40 years ago.

Comment from: reitme, Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have failed low back syndrome with surgery in 1993 for disc rupture at the L 4-5 and L5 S1. I developed significant scar tissue and later further injured. I now require spinal fusion, yet this surgery is very prone to failure. Removing the scar tissue causing the sciatic pain often makes it return, and even worse than previous to surgery.

Comment from: ANGELA C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have severe pain in my hip and left leg, this pain is unbearable. I can't sleep or get out of bed half the time. I'm on a pain medicine that my doctor gave me and sometimes it helps but most of the time I'm in bed with sharp pains shooting down my left leg to my foot. I also have back problems, herniated bulging disc, degenerative disc disease and more problems with my back. I can't get any relief from this pain, I tried ice and heat and ibuprofen 800mg, and pain medications but nothing seems to help, this is the worst pain, and won't go away.

Comment from: WassailT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Sciatica has been a recurring problem beginning in my mid-30's. In the past 10 years, it has cropped up just five times, two were very intense. The only variable in my life just prior to these episodes has been very high levels of stress - each and every time. Getting back to my stretching and isometric-type exercises, daily walking, and behavioral/self care measures works well. Good sleep hygiene is a must.

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sciatica.
Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?