Table of Contents
- Sciatica facts
- What is sciatica?
- What are causes of sciatica?
- What are risk factors for sciatica? What are sciatica symptoms?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose sciatica?
- Which health-care specialties treat sciatica?
- What are treatment options for sciatica?
- What are treatment options for sciatica? (Continued)
- Are there home remedies and exercises for sciatica?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for patients with sciatica? Is it possible to prevent sciatica?
Epidural Cortisone Injections for Sciatica From Herniated Disc...Beneficial?
A majority of patients with sciatica from disc herniation have resolution of their pain with various conservative measures, including antiinflammatory and muscle-relaxant medications, exercises, physical therapy, and time. However, some 10%-15% of affected patients require surgical procedures to relieve the pain.
Quick GuideSciatica Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
- Sciatica is nerve pain from irritation of the sciatic nerve.
- The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body.
- Sciatica pain is typically felt from the low back to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee.
- Treatments for sciatica depend on the underlying cause and the severity of the pain. Continue Reading
Klippel, J.H., et al. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. New York: Springer, 2008.
Koopman, William, et al., eds. Clinical Primer of Rheumatology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
Patrick, C.A.J. Vroomen, Marc C.T.F.M. de Krom, Jan T. Wilmink, D.M. Arnold, J. Kester, and Andre Knottnerus. "Lack of Effectiveness of Bed Rest for Sciatica." N Engl J Med 340 (1999): 418- 423.
Ruddy, Shaun, et al., eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 2000
Additional resources from WebMD Boots UK on
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!