Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?

Comment from: Galt54, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 18. After roughly one year I began to be given chlorpromazine. This classic medication enabled me to recover. My mind "calmed down" and ceased to be overactive. I have lived a normal life ever since I was released from the mental hospital in 1974. In early 2007 I was obliged to find a new medication to replace chlorpromazine, for the manufacturer had discontinued the production of chlorpromazine.

Comment from: Linda J, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have been on clozapine for my schizophrenia since January and have had some success, even though the weight gain has been a bad thing for me. I put on 25 kilos. I had already had excess weight from Zyprexa, which did not help me at all. I suffer from lethargy and find it hard to exercise, but I walk the dog every day, which is in itself an effort.

Comment from: Sadie, 13-18 Female Published: January 10

I'm 14 years old. My two cousins suffer from schizophrenia. One of them is not severe and he takes his medication regularly and is very calm. The other I can't see anymore because he is violent and is certain that me and my mother are out to get him. He has paranoid schizophrenia and often spoke of CIA agents rising out of the pond across from his house.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: February 03

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 21 years old and now I am 52. At 21 I was in hospital because I became hysterical and cried a lot. When in hospital I was given Haldol. I just wanted to go home. I felt better but had recurring symptoms, so I was administered several different drugs. Now I take symmetrel, haldol, and zyprexa. I am feeling much better, can proceed with my life, but I have noticed that I feel very nervous and don't know what to do. Sometimes I feel this disease is taking the better of me.

Comment from: vb, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My son has just been diagnosed with Schizophrenia yesterday he is fifteen. It started about 2 months ago. Thanks for this site which help me know more and learn how to handle the situation at home. It is encouraging to know that I am not facing this problem alone and that I can learn from what others have gone through. He is much better now and he started on his medication.

Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's symptoms of schizophrenia? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.