Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Comment from: Lorilor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia one year ago. I swore my friends were hidden in a room in my boyfriend's house where I live. I knew in my head they were all out to get me and so was my boyfriend. He had no clue I was sick and thought I was messing with him. It was a terrible time for me, so I started drinking and doing a lot of drugs. This made it worse. I moved into a motel and heard these people in the next room; they had followed me. I spent 12 days yelling at the walls. If I would leave the motel they would follow me. Sometime after I moved back with my boyfriend. The voices got worse now my mother was the voice and my best friend of 30 years. Eventually I was hospitalized court ordered so I couldn't leave. Today one year later I am finally voice free. I take Zyprexa every day. I only hope that people don't have to go through what I did. I was anorexic because I never slept nor ate. I am 95 percent better with medicines and a psychiatrist. Thanks for listening.

Comment from: Sleepyone, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I am not sure if this is unusual. I began with a depressive episode mixed with psychosis aged 20. My diagnosis was confirmed as schizophrenia around the age of 40. I am now 41. I am happily married with 3 lovely daughters. I have run my own business for the last 3 years, currently operating with a modest turnover and with potential for the future. I face self-stigma everyday as I am living with a condition few truly understand. At times, I even invalidate my own understanding because the urban myth surrounding the condition (violent menace to society) at times tells me that my experience does not count. I am preparing to begin a course of study at the highest professional level in my field, and I want very much to disprove the so-called truth that we cannot make a valid contribution in areas such as business and industry. I am poor, but happy. I have a lot to live for.

Comment from: john, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 26. I became more religious and politically active. I even considered myself as the only true prophet, and Moses and Jesus Christ at different times. The delusions went off as soon as I started medication. I am still struggling with negative and cognitive symptoms.

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Can any schizophrenic patient feels that some transparent opposite sex being is attached to her/his body having sexual intercourse all the time? My sister has been facing this feeling for more than two years since the age of seventeen and during that whole period she never had a moment of relief. It is just constant and that feeling never seemed to leave her. Except for this feeling everything about her is normal.

Comment from: JBL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Since 2000, I have not been able to keep a job. I abandon them. I don"t care about my hygiene, body or dental, I don"t take care of any of my stuff. I lost my longest relationship of 9 plus years (off and on) because I would lie about employment and just generally lie about anything. I"ve been homeless several times. I end up living with my parents, where I am now. I"ve stolen things and money from family members. When caught with the item I"d still lie! I have few friends and have very little socialization with my family. I drink and smoke pot when I have money. I have no appetite and my weight is around 124lbs. The last time I saw a doctor he asked if I was a drug addict! I went with an earache, which he didn"t treat me for. I didn"t ask for drugs except maybe an antibiotic if I needed it! I never eat with family. I wait till they"ve all gone to bed and then I eat left-overs, etc. My mom has offered to get me mental therapy but I don"t think I need it. But since I"ve abandoned another job... I"m told to either seek mental help or move out! They"ve had enough of my behavior and are frustrated/worried about me. I know they love me but I don"t know why I do/act like I do.

Comment from: dallasuser, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

Schizophrenia is like an experience of sounds of voices or brain waves, like recalling and remembering music sounds inside your head, things you remembered and sometimes it gives loss of concentration, irritation and memory loss. Not all people with experiencing schizophrenia are violent, sometimes people who don't go to psychiatrist or having no mental health record are the ones, in my experience. I have been taking psychiatric pills for years and it did hurt my emotional health, so it doesn't help. It is better to live a life without prescriptions. Diet, eat in small portions and exercising are the best way to have healthy life.

Schizophrenia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's schizophrenia symptoms? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.
Schizophrenia - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were used to diagnose your schizophrenia?