Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Comment from: john, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 26. I became more religious and politically active. I even considered myself as the only true prophet, and Moses and Jesus Christ at different times. The delusions went off as soon as I started medication. I am still struggling with negative and cognitive symptoms.

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Can any schizophrenic patient feels that some transparent opposite sex being is attached to her/his body having sexual intercourse all the time? My sister has been facing this feeling for more than two years since the age of seventeen and during that whole period she never had a moment of relief. It is just constant and that feeling never seemed to leave her. Except for this feeling everything about her is normal.

Comment from: JBL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Since 2000, I have not been able to keep a job. I abandon them. I don"t care about my hygiene, body or dental, I don"t take care of any of my stuff. I lost my longest relationship of 9 plus years (off and on) because I would lie about employment and just generally lie about anything. I"ve been homeless several times. I end up living with my parents, where I am now. I"ve stolen things and money from family members. When caught with the item I"d still lie! I have few friends and have very little socialization with my family. I drink and smoke pot when I have money. I have no appetite and my weight is around 124lbs. The last time I saw a doctor he asked if I was a drug addict! I went with an earache, which he didn"t treat me for. I didn"t ask for drugs except maybe an antibiotic if I needed it! I never eat with family. I wait till they"ve all gone to bed and then I eat left-overs, etc. My mom has offered to get me mental therapy but I don"t think I need it. But since I"ve abandoned another job... I"m told to either seek mental help or move out! They"ve had enough of my behavior and are frustrated/worried about me. I know they love me but I don"t know why I do/act like I do.

Comment from: caregiver, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My sister is suffering from schizophrenia from last year. She stopped going to her university from last year then she was told to get married but things did not work well for any of the proposals, hence she broke down emotionally. She says that she hears spiritual voices, suspects that someone from the street is keeping an eye on her, thinks that her friends are breaking all the proposals and sometimes looks through the window to see who is calling her. She made some suicide attempts and tried to hurt herself. She was away from all social relations the past year. Just recently after the suicide attempts we are giving her medications like anti-depressants and also relaxation and sleeping pills. Hope that these will help to cure her fast.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at around 22. I have unusual beliefs about the nature of the universe, God and the workings of society but other than that I am fairly normal. I don't have many friends, so my family is very dear to me and I call them every day. I am divorced, I have a son and I hope he doesn't go through what my family and I went through but I will do my best to be there for him if he does. I have difficulty expressing emotions but have been told that I have a gift for writing; not noticeable in this little blurb. My family stuck by me through my troubles and that is why I am able to live on my own today, work to support myself and my son and pretty much live a normal life. What is normal...mine's just a little different from yours that's all. I disagree that this illness is the worst mental illness, but I'm no expert; just another being watching the universe unfold every day.

Comment from: dallasuser, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

Schizophrenia is like an experience of sounds of voices or brain waves, like recalling and remembering music sounds inside your head, things you remembered and sometimes it gives loss of concentration, irritation and memory loss. Not all people with experiencing schizophrenia are violent, sometimes people who don't go to psychiatrist or having no mental health record are the ones, in my experience. I have been taking psychiatric pills for years and it did hurt my emotional health, so it doesn't help. It is better to live a life without prescriptions. Diet, eat in small portions and exercising are the best way to have healthy life.

Schizophrenia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's schizophrenia symptoms? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.