Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Published: June 09

A couple of months ago i felt the whole world was against me and out to get me. I avoided my friends and spent most of my time talking to the voices in my head. I was sort of glad because I would never be lonely again. The voices in my head told me they'd put a prosthesis in me and that' how they knew what i was thinking. What I wondered was how I came to know words I've never heard before. Things started to get complicated when a guy I used to like came into the picture. I kept hearing his voice everywhere. He even proposed to me! Now I know it was all my imagination. Till this day I keep wondering whether what happened to me during those months was real or just a figment of my over active imagination. How i wish i knew. Well i took pills and I'm much better now. Th voices disappeared. to all those with schizophrenia, don't worry ! We're living in the 21st century and will be cured in no time just like me.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My husband, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law all have schizophrenia. My husband's doctors have said that he is a great one to study because he went as far from reality that one can go and came back to live a fairly normal life without having to go and live in a hospital. They would like to write a book about him.

Comment from: missbee123, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

Both of my brothers have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. They both live about four hours from me, and I see and hear from them infrequently. It's difficult to imagine what they must feel like, and until recently I would constantly argue with them. One of them has positive symptoms, and I thought he was just lazy and withdrawn. My other brother sees black demons coming out of my back, and white ghosts coming out of my nose. They both frequently discontinue their medications, and always get into trouble with the law. Just recently, my negative brother was stabbed and walked out of the hospital in a gown. The erratic behaviors are complex for my mind to understand, and I'm thankful for having gained a greater understanding of the disease. Now, maybe, I can deal with my brothers more effectively!

Comment from: Ian, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My friend was diagnosed with Schizophrenic Psychosis when he was 15. Since then he has had many instances where he has had random impulses/urges to kill people like family and friends. He told me that if I got to hear his thoughts for a day, I'd kill myself. He told me this as he contemplated suicide. He constantly hears voices telling him to do vile things and he fears of hurting others and it drives him mad. Medication is only so effective.

Published: July 28

It's a special type of living hell because it has lead me to distrust my family and friends. The people that I love the most become the biggest antagonists. I feel that I can't live like this because I see in black and white and at the moment everything is black. I was taken off my medication a while ago and I know I have to go back on it. Please talk to someone impartial if you feel like this, don't suffer alone even if you just want to be alone.

Published: July 22

My relative is suffering from schizophrenia. She is under treatment, but no tablet is found effective with her she takes penhargan 25mg and aneval 50mg daily twice each tablet but is not recovering. She has been taking the tablets for 8 days.

Schizophrenia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's schizophrenia symptoms? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.