Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Comment from: RKaufman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 38-year-old schizophrenic who was diagnosed three years ago. I never in my life thought that I would have a mental illness. I thought that was something people were born with. Medication doesn't just “start working.” It takes time and education. The person with schizophrenia should remember that with time, we can recover. Keeping medications in a normal place and participating in a psychosocial atmosphere can increase your skills and education about your illness.

Comment from: Lady21, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My boyfriend always seemed normal to me, but recently he has been sent to a mental hospital. They are claiming that he has an anger problem and slight schizophrenia. After the reading the definition on your website, everything is clear to me: He really is schizophrenic. He always thinks someone is plotting against him, that everyone is talking about him and everyone hates him. He claims that he heard someone over the phone saying his name and saying stuff about him, which never happened. He gets very angry and frustrated quickly. Sometimes he would talk about things or say things to me, and I would tell him that he makes no sense. There was always a slight thought in me that something was seriously wrong with him, but I always ignored it. Now that things are clear, I'd just like to warn women out there to be careful because things can get pretty dangerous when someone thinks everyone is against them and trying to harm them.

Comment from: Art, 35-44 Female Published: August 21

I have a 35-year-old brother who was diagnosed with schizophrenia three years ago and was treated in a clinic in Australia. He was released not long after being examined and given medication. He later came home to Greece and all seemed OK. He had the occasional hallucination, for example, he would see the planets from where he was lying on his bed. Gradually, he refused to continue his medication and as a result, he was easily irritated and angered, especially with my mother.

Comment from: woodysgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 51 years old and have had schizophrenia for more than five years. I take so many medications at night I feel as if my stomach is a pharmacy. I get scared a lot because when I try to tell my family I am hearing voices, they look at me and say, “No, you're not; quit being silly.” Sometimes I cry because I get so scared of the personalities of these voices. I currently have four personalities. I don't like going to group sessions because I don't like to be around a lot of people. I am around enough people as it is. I don't go out of my house for days and days at a time; I just don't want to. But I go to my doctors. So far they have my medications on the right track, and I am thankful for that.

Published: July 09

My daughter was diagnosed with the disorder. She was a bright and intelligent 18 year old who was in various HS groups and ultimately graduated. One day she appeared to exhibit what I labeled as "a drug person" but I was wrong. Clinical tests proved negative. Now, my baby has since graduated from HS (with the help of great HS counselors), been admitted twice two mental facilities, and occurred many thousands in hospital costs. Today she had another episode. I will not let her go back to the hospital. I also discovered she was faking taking her medication (Zyprexa). I had her take it. Watched her for about three hours and then recently allowed her to go to bed. Yes, I had to allow an 18 year old to go to bed.

Published: June 25

My father who is aged 84 is having the disease. He was alright 3-4 months ago. What I am observing for the last 2 months is that he is saying strange things which is unbelievable. Every time he says someone talked to him over phone (in fact he never uses the telephone even when he was quite okay). I have assumed that he is hearing voices. Sometimes he says the Indian Prime Minister talked to him and he is visiting us. At times it would be Mrs. Sonia Gandhi and the Indian Finance Minister Mr. Chidambaram. At times, he is scared and tells one or two of our relative's names and says that they have sent persons to kill him. Since he is a pensioner he even takes out money and throws out of the window thinking that he is paying money to those who have come to harm him. He was very attached to my elder daughter and used to take a keen interest in her studies. However, now whenever she has gone to school he tells me that someone has attacked my daughter and she is bleeding and asks me to go to her rescue. Sometimes he says that someone has kidnapped her and she is in some far away place (he mentions the name of the place). If we tell him it is not the case, he argues to the point and tells me or my brother that we are lying.

Schizophrenia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's schizophrenia symptoms? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.