Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Comment from: confusedsis, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My 31 year old brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia 10 years ago. He has been on several medications since then. He was in remission for about three years until a couple of years ago when he started refusing to take his medications. He insisted that the medications had too many side-effects and that he was afraid to take them. He started having problems at work, became more verbally aggressive and now he is homeless. We had him committed for treatment many times. My other brother and I could not have him live with us anymore because we are both married have young children and our spouses don't even want him in our homes. Schizophrenia is the worst disease anyone can have: it destroys not only the patient, but the whole family.

Comment from: shamiska, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

As someone whose parent has schizophrenia and whom has it also. I just want to tell you that no matter how hard it may be or how guilty you feel about it, if a family member needs help make that call! I struggled from the age of 10 to help my schizophrenic mum for 6 years I struggled then it got really bad and she ended up in a mental hospital. She's out now has been for four years and she's a thousand times better than she ever was. Fight your fear and bite the bullet it's worth it.

Published: July 28

Our 21 year old son showed signs of mental illness when he started talking non stop and became very violent towards us. I believe he had smoked a lot of drugs. He thought he was Jesus Christ coming back to save humanity. Also he used to hear voices commanding him to do evil. We felt that he was suicidal too so we got him admitted in hospital. He spent about 3 weeks in hospital and when he was discharged he became very calm and quiet and hardly communicated with us. In the beginning he took tetracaine and risperidone (6 mg). But now 9 months later he only takes risperidone (1 mg). He neglects himself a lot so we still have to remind him to brush his teeth, bathe, change his clothes, etc.

Comment from: Feeling much better, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had this for 8 years. I am a female and I take diazepam at night. I am taking citalopram with trazodone also. I am 95 percent better in 1 month with little no symptoms at all.

Comment from: sam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had schizophrenia and lived with it untreated for almost six years, believing it was normal. I was always in trouble and in total denial. I was also living in hell, I started getting treatment. I expected to get better after the first pill i took, but I had to wait another eight years to be able to experience some restful moments. It still feels like a bad joke.

Comment from: XYZ, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband and father-in-law suffer from this disorder. My father-in-law says he possesses divine powers and can interact with God. He even insists that some holy spirits have come in him, and they can answer queries. He got extremely attached to me emotionally. Even when I went out to work, he would drive to my workplace and wait patiently until I came out, maybe for hours. If I had to visit my parents, he would secretly follow me. Well, all this was still tolerable. My husband, on the other hand, gets violent. Many times he has been physically violent with his father and me. I suffered a miscarriage because of the physical abuse. He moves out of the house suddenly, and his whereabouts are unknown for days. After a week or two, whenever the family learns his location, they go get him and bring him back home. He moves out without luggage and doesn't even brush teeth. He has been unable to hold down his job. He talks of doing great things, such as setting up businesses, being a real estate king. He would boast that he was born and bought up in England, when the fact is, he has never traveled out of India. He lies to the extent that anyone can tell that he is lying. The worst is that the family doesn't accept that they suffer from this disorder to maintain their public image. His father is on haloperidol, and he is irregular about taking his medication. The same goes for his son. It was a traumatic phase for me to live with them and make them understand that they need professional help. The biggest reason is that my husband is a homoeopathic physician, and he thinks he knows medicine better than anyone in world.

Comment from: Sonali, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My mother, who is aged 55, is suffering from schizophrenia for the last four years. She can hear voices and suspects that those voices know her thoughts and can see through her. She also charged people whom she suspected to be her enemy. She is on medication for the last one and half years. She doesn't want to accept this as an illness and we somehow manage to give her the medicines saying that they are pills prescribed by a person who wants to help her. She now says that the intensity/volume of those voices has reduced and she has not charged/attacked anyone so far. However, she still believes that this is real. She also wants to stop her medicines and it is difficult to convince her. She also seems to be suffering from side-effects of the medicines. She has a frozen shoulder and has diabetes, osteoporosis etc. The doctor wants a CT scan of her brain to be done, but it's difficult, as she realizes that the scan will probably be done because of this problem that she has.

Schizophrenia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's schizophrenia symptoms? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.