Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with schizophrenia.

Published: July 28

Our 21 year old son showed signs of mental illness when he started talking non stop and became very violent towards us. I believe he had smoked a lot of drugs. He thought he was Jesus Christ coming back to save humanity. Also he used to hear voices commanding him to do evil. We felt that he was suicidal too so we got him admitted in hospital. He spent about 3 weeks in hospital and when he was discharged he became very calm and quiet and hardly communicated with us. In the beginning he took tetracaine and risperidone (6 mg). But now 9 months later he only takes risperidone (1 mg). He neglects himself a lot so we still have to remind him to brush his teeth, bathe, change his clothes, etc.

Comment from: sam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had schizophrenia and lived with it untreated for almost six years, believing it was normal. I was always in trouble and in total denial. I was also living in hell, I started getting treatment. I expected to get better after the first pill i took, but I had to wait another eight years to be able to experience some restful moments. It still feels like a bad joke.

Comment from: XYZ, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband and father-in-law suffer from this disorder. My father-in-law says he possesses divine powers and can interact with God. He even insists that some holy spirits have come in him, and they can answer queries. He got extremely attached to me emotionally. Even when I went out to work, he would drive to my workplace and wait patiently until I came out, maybe for hours. If I had to visit my parents, he would secretly follow me. Well, all this was still tolerable. My husband, on the other hand, gets violent. Many times he has been physically violent with his father and me. I suffered a miscarriage because of the physical abuse. He moves out of the house suddenly, and his whereabouts are unknown for days. After a week or two, whenever the family learns his location, they go get him and bring him back home. He moves out without luggage and doesn't even brush teeth. He has been unable to hold down his job. He talks of doing great things, such as setting up businesses, being a real estate king. He would boast that he was born and bought up in England, when the fact is, he has never traveled out of India. He lies to the extent that anyone can tell that he is lying. The worst is that the family doesn't accept that they suffer from this disorder to maintain their public image. His father is on haloperidol, and he is irregular about taking his medication. The same goes for his son. It was a traumatic phase for me to live with them and make them understand that they need professional help. The biggest reason is that my husband is a homoeopathic physician, and he thinks he knows medicine better than anyone in world.

Comment from: Sonali, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My mother, who is aged 55, is suffering from schizophrenia for the last four years. She can hear voices and suspects that those voices know her thoughts and can see through her. She also charged people whom she suspected to be her enemy. She is on medication for the last one and half years. She doesn't want to accept this as an illness and we somehow manage to give her the medicines saying that they are pills prescribed by a person who wants to help her. She now says that the intensity/volume of those voices has reduced and she has not charged/attacked anyone so far. However, she still believes that this is real. She also wants to stop her medicines and it is difficult to convince her. She also seems to be suffering from side-effects of the medicines. She has a frozen shoulder and has diabetes, osteoporosis etc. The doctor wants a CT scan of her brain to be done, but it's difficult, as she realizes that the scan will probably be done because of this problem that she has.

Comment from: RKaufman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 38-year-old schizophrenic who was diagnosed three years ago. I never in my life thought that I would have a mental illness. I thought that was something people were born with. Medication doesn't just “start working.” It takes time and education. The person with schizophrenia should remember that with time, we can recover. Keeping medications in a normal place and participating in a psychosocial atmosphere can increase your skills and education about your illness.

Comment from: Lady21, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My boyfriend always seemed normal to me, but recently he has been sent to a mental hospital. They are claiming that he has an anger problem and slight schizophrenia. After the reading the definition on your website, everything is clear to me: He really is schizophrenic. He always thinks someone is plotting against him, that everyone is talking about him and everyone hates him. He claims that he heard someone over the phone saying his name and saying stuff about him, which never happened. He gets very angry and frustrated quickly. Sometimes he would talk about things or say things to me, and I would tell him that he makes no sense. There was always a slight thought in me that something was seriously wrong with him, but I always ignored it. Now that things are clear, I'd just like to warn women out there to be careful because things can get pretty dangerous when someone thinks everyone is against them and trying to harm them.

Schizophrenia - Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia - In Children Question: What were your child's symptoms of schizophrenia? Please share your story.
Schizophrenia - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms associated with schizophrenia in you, a friend, or relative.