Patient Comments: Schizoaffective Disorder - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your schizoaffective disorder?

Comment from: Mom From Mars, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I've been on many different medicines in the last 15 years for my schizoaffective disorder. Depakote worked well for a while till my hair started falling out. Lithium made me crazy. I'm currently on Seroquel, Topamax, and Cymbalta. I have schizoaffective disorder, and bipolar disorder, and many medical problems. I still see the invisible mice that don't run up and down my hall, I still hear people in my head, usually it's only one or two. I've just had to get used to it and accept it.

Comment from: Bobby, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

Hi, I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder about three years ago. Before that it was being treated as depression for 8 years which did a lot of damage because of being misdiagnosed. My daily life came to a standstill. I used to get severe episodes of mixed depression and maniac symptoms daily for many years. I even had suicidal thoughts sometimes. Now I am on Quetiapine 900mg and Paliperidone 150mg injection (once a month). I am also on Mirtazapine for depression. My symptoms are well controlled although I still get periodic episodes of acute anxiety attacks. In the past other medicines such as Lithium, Divalproate, Fluoxetine and Sertraline were tried, but to no avail. I wish all the patients of schizoaffective disorder all the very best.

Comment from: Skky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was psychologically abused at work at the same time I was in severe chronic pain from car accidents. No one helped me. I went through a divorce and was a single mother to a baby. A year after she was born I had delusions and hallucinations and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Through the pregnancy I had excrutiaing pain from degenerative disk disease and slept no more than 3-4 hours a night. I was on Prozac and clonazepam. Then I tried Risperidal which didn't work, then olanzapine which caused rapid weight gain. Because of side effects I couldn't get to a therapeutic dose. Then I was put on high dose Prozac, ziprasidone and lorazepam. Still I had psychotic symptoms. Finally with the addition of Flupenthixol at bedtime my psychosis resolved. After 15 years of struggling with severe depression and anxiety I am currently switching to Cymbalta. Hopefully it will control the depression better and give me added pain relief. It's been a long difficult journey.

Comment from: Amy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have Schizoaffective Disorder and I have had over 100 ECT treatments since 1999. I have also taken many Mood Stabalizers, Anti-Depressants, Anti-psychotics, anxiety meds, and others. I have the best Psychiatrist in the world and I am presently looking for a good therapist.

Comment from: lonebyrd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was 16 when I was first hospitalized for trying to end it all. During my second hospitalization, I was hit with borderline personality disorder and schizoaffective- bipolar type. Meds work for awhile then it just stops working. They are trying me on Clozaril, which I had been on when it first came out on the market.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I've been recently diagnosed as having schizoaffective disorder. I am taking lithium and Risperidone daily, which is very helpful. I have delusions that I am being followed by 'spies' and this makes leaving the house very difficult and frightening. I have been able to hold jobs, although I tend to job hop because it takes about two years before I start getting unbearably paranoid at work. I was diagnosed as being bipolar 15 years ago. I am also dissociative. Still, I manage to live a relatively happy and productive life. I also have a social worker who helps me sort out problems when they occur.

Comment from: Bebi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

About 12 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression. Now I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I live with my husband and three adult children, who don't really seem to understand mental illness. I feel that my husband is very ignorant about my illness and is protecting my children against me, especially my 19-year-old daughter. My heart sinks when I think about it too much.

Schizoaffective Disorder - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms of your schizoaffective disorder?