Patient Comments: Schizoaffective Disorder - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your schizoaffective disorder?

Comment from: Momof4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia as well as bi-polar, so most recently I have been considered to have schizo affective disorder. I am being treated with 900 mg of lithium and 40 mg of celexa on a daily basis, as well as therapy.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am receiving medications, counseling, and moral support from my mother and best friend.

Comment from: kasstar14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was diagnosed at 17. I'll admit it I'm not taking meds, I'm not Seeing anyone because all therapy does is get to my head and they are just going to hurt me. I can't hold a Job, my family keeps saying I'm getting worse every day but I don't see it. I don't go to school anymore. I'm 19 years old now and I really don't think I have a problem.

Comment from: SlickNick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I was diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder at the age of 29. Doctor gave me a drug called Risperdal 2mg. I don't like the drug at all. At times it gave me suicidal thoughts (which I never had before), my friends thought something was wrong with me because I was SO quit. I didn't feel like really socializing at all. I would sleep a lot, I gained weight (30 lbs) and I felt like I just didn't have any energy at all. I hate Risperdal, but my Doctor thinks it's some kind of miracle drug. God help me.

Comment from: aces4u, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My son seems to have a schizoaffective disorder and his Dr. gives him Zyprexa. With this medicine he seems to do fairly well. If his Dr. tries to lower his mg. or if he stops taking his medicine for a bit, he will then experience the effects of the disease. I understand the disease but I do feel concerned that he needs this medicine to cope with life forever.

Comment from: redpirate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I received Lamictil, which I didn't find particularly effective and Seroquel, which helped but didn't remove all the symptoms. I also had therapy with a psycho-social worker. That helped to a degree as well. It helped me identify some of the worst issues and they gave me some coping skills. They don't always work, because I don't always think of it in time. I'm still trying to get the explosive anger under control.

Comment from: Madison, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 13

Unfortunately in Madison County, Idaho we lack the proper treatment/resources so our patients are tossed in jail (solitary confinement) for years as 'treatment' for schizoaffective disorder. There should be a law for the inhumane treatment in this country.

Comment from: calisurfgirl16, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I've been on 10 different medications for my schizoaffective disorder. I was diagnosed at age 7. I am currently on Zyprexa and have gained 100 pounds in 6 months. I am 16 now.

Schizoaffective Disorder - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms of your schizoaffective disorder?