- Schizophrenia Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Schizophrenia Quiz
- Physical Symptoms of Depression Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Schizoaffective Disorder - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Schizoaffective Disorder - Treatment
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
- Schizoaffective disorder facts
- What is schizoaffective disorder?
- What are the different types of schizoaffective disorder?
- What are causes and risk factors for schizoaffective disorder?
- What are symptoms and signs of schizoaffective disorder?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose schizoaffective disorder?
- What are criteria for diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder?
- What is the treatment for schizoaffective disorder? Are there home remedies for schizoaffective disorder?
- What are complications of schizoaffective disorder?
- What is the prognosis of schizoaffective disorder?
- Is it possible to prevent schizoaffective disorder?
- Are there support groups for schizoaffective disorder?
- Where can people find more information on schizoaffective disorder?
Quick GuideSchizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
Is it possible to prevent schizoaffective disorder?
Once schizoaffective disorder has occurred, prevention of future episodes is best achieved when the person suffering from the illness receives consistent treatment, including medication and psychosocial treatment of their symptoms.
Are there support groups for schizoaffective disorder?
Where can people find more information on schizoaffective disorder?
Medically reviewed by Marina Katz, MD; American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
Abrams, D.J., D.C. Rojas, and D.B. Arciniegas. "Is schizoaffective disorder a distinct categorical diagnosis? A critical review of the literature." Neuropsychiatric Disorders Treatment 4.6 Dec. 2008: 1089-1109.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition. American Psychiatric Association 2013, Arlington, Virginia.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, Text Revision. American Psychiatric Association 2000, Washington, D.C.
Baker, A.L., et al. "Treatment of cannabis use among people with psychotic or depressive disorders: a systematic review." Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 71.3 Mar. 2010: 247-254.
Daumit, G.L., R.W. Goldberg, C. Anthony, et al. "Physical activity patterns in adults with severe mental illness." Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 193.10 Oct. 2005: 641-646.
Harkavy-Friedman, J.M., E.A. Nelson, D.F. Venarde, and J.J. Mann. "Suicidal behaviour in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: examining the role of depression." Suicide Life-Threat 34 (2004): 66-76.
Heckers, S. "Is schizoaffective disorder a useful diagnosis?" Current Psychiatric Reports (2009): 332-337.
Laursen, T.M., R. Labouriau, R.W. Licht, et al. "Family history of psychiatric illness as a risk factor for schizoaffective disorder: a Danish register-based cohort study FREE." Archives of General Psychiatry 62.8 (2005): 841-848.
Lysaker, P.H., N.L. Beattie, A.M. Strasburger, et al. "Reported history of child sexual abuse in schizophrenia: Associations with heightened symptom levels and poorer participation over four months in vocational rehabilitation." Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 193.13 Dec. 2005: 790-795.
Mazza, M., M. Di Nicola, G. Martinotti, et al. "Oxcarbazepine in bipolar disorder: a critical review of the literature." Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 8.5 (2007): 649-656.
Robinson, D.G., M.G. Woerner, M. McMeniman, et al. "Symptomatic and functional recovery from a first episode of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder." The American Journal of Psychiatry 161.3 Mar. 2004: 473-479.
Schottle, D., B.G. Schimmelmann, P. Conus, et al. "Differentiating schizoaffective and bipolar I disorder in first-episode psychotic mania." Schizophrenia Research 140.1-3 Sept. 2012: 31-36.
Smeraldi, E., R. Cavallaro, V. Folnegovic-Smalc, et al. "Long-term remission in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: results from the risperidone long-acting injectable versus quetiapine relapse prevention trial (ConstaTRE)." Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology Mar. 2013.
Stauder, A.D. "Group motivational interviewing as a psychotherapeutic intervention for dual diagnosis patients living with a psychotic disorder: critique of the literature." Graduate Journal of Counseling Psychology 3.1 (2012).
Varese, F., F. Smeets, M. Drukker, R. Lieverse, et al. "Childhood Adversities Increase the Risk of Psychosis: A Meta-analysis of Patient-Control, Prospective and Cross-sectional Cohort Studies." Schizophrenia Bulletin 2012.
Vieta, E. "Developing an individualized treatment plan for patients with schizoaffective disorder: from pharmacotherapy to psychoeducation." Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 71.2 (2010): 14-19.