Schizoaffective Disorder Medication Treatment
Risperidone is an atypical antipsychotic drug that is used for treating schizophrenia, bipolar mania and autism. Other atypical antipsychotic drugs include Olanzapine (Zyprexa), Quetiapine (Seroquel), Ziprasidone (Geodon), Aripiprazole (Abilify) and paliperidone (Invega).
Quick GuideSchizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
Schizoaffective disorder facts
- Schizoaffective disorder is a condition that includes psychotic symptoms (delusions and hallucinations) and mood problems.
- There are two kinds of schizoaffective disorder: bipolar and depressive.
- There is no known single specific cause for schizoaffective disorder.
- Schizoaffective disorder symptoms and signs include those of schizophrenia in addition to a manic episode or a major depressive episode.
- The typical treatment for schizoaffective disorder involves the individual taking an antipsychotic drug and possibly a mood stabilizer in addition to psychoeducation.
What is schizoaffective disorder?
Schizoaffective disorder is an illness that is characterized by persistent psychotic symptoms, like hallucinations or delusions, occurring together with mood problems of depressive, manic, or mixed episodes. The term schizoaffective was first used in 1933 by Jacob Kasanin and has been included in every edition of the mental-health diagnostic manual, called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), since 1952. Statistics on how common this disorder is range from 0.2% in the general United States population up to as much as 9% of psychiatrically hospitalized people. Schizoaffective disorder is thought to occur at least as often as schizophrenia and less often than bipolar disorder.
What are the different types of schizoaffective disorder?
There are two types of schizoaffective disorder: bipolar type and depressive type. The bipolar type of schizoaffective disorder is characterized by the illness including at least one manic episode. The depressive type of this illness involves having only major depressive episodes as the mood disorder part of the illness.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/2/2016