Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: Tankar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

I was told I have probably had Schatzki's ring since birth, which would explain my awful pain and stomach problems as a kid. When I finally started choking on my food from it about ten years ago I put it off until I could stand it no more. I was scheduled to be knocked out for a colonoscopy so I told them to go ahead and fix the ring finally while I was out. That procedure hurt like a heart attack for a week after I woke up. It fixed the swallowing issue for about 5 years though. Now it's back. I am going to put up with the ring for now. I can't take that pain again.

Comment from: daxtea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Well, I am 41. I have had this Schatzki's ring problem for about 2 years now. What I have read and seen a few people talk about on YouTube seems to be that Schatzki's ring does not happen all the time. Probably 2 times a week, always the first bite and lasts a minute or 2. I sit and relax so I do not panic. It goes away and I am fine with the rest of meal. I don't have acid reflux symptoms or anything else going on. I don't have any other ailments other than having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I don't smoke or drink. This is strange to me. But what is even stranger is that my husband has the same thing going on, his started a year ago. So that in itself is scary that both of us have it. We are hoping it is nothing crazy going on with us. We have read maybe asbestos could be something going on since we have lived in our house going on 8 1/2 years now. One of the symptoms was trouble swallowing. We have not gotten checked yet. I think I may check to see about me first to see why I have this and why my husband does also. Very strange and scary.

Comment from: Bettyy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 28

After my first child 52 years ago I was told I had a hiatal hernia. I found that being 'burped' helped relieve. Years later I started having spasms in the esophagus while eating or drinking too fast. It felt like I was having a heart attack; it was diagnosed as Schatzki's ring. I discovered if I would immediately take an empty capsule purchased at pharmacy or use Prilosec or Tylenol capsule it would immediately open the esophagus. Best described it was like relieving a clogged drain with finger. I never left home without my empty capsules. Around age 65 I looked into having my esophagus stretched and seldom have had a spasm but often now get hiccups. Water helps and then time to have stretching done. I have had it done about 6 to 7 times in 15 years. Now I am 80 years old.

Comment from: NenesMama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had my first episode with this when I lived alone with my newborn. I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't swallow or breathe and I was getting light headed. That was 12 1/2 years ago. I've been diagnosed with a Schatzki's Ring and apparently a few others in my family have it. I still experience horrible symptoms, I still get light headed and think I'm going to pass out. Sometimes it causes violent regurgitation. I also have the horrible hiccups. I've had it stretched once and I try to watch what I eat. Bread or sweet bread is a huge trigger. But feeling like I'm going to black out is the worst.

Comment from: TrishS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was just occasionally having difficulty swallowing solid food. It would usually happen e.g., with a large lump of bread or if I tried to eat in too much of a hurry. I would feel the food stick somewhere in my chest and then just have to wait however long it took, maybe several minutes, for the sensation to go away, before I could continue eating. Trying to flush it through with water didn't always work; that would just sit above the solid food. As it was not happening on a daily basis or getting progressively worse, I was not too worried about a malignant cause, but eventually had an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy when the Schatzki's ring was found. I do recall my father having similar intermittent episodes.

Comment from: Aoife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had my esophagus stretched twice due to Schatzki's ring, and I woke up during both procedures. I am trying to get my nerve up to have the procedure done again as the stretching from the previous procedures has worn off and my throat actually hurts when I swallow. I wish there was a way they could fracture the Schatzki's ring and put an end to it. I travel a lot and it is very difficult to plan where to run to the loo to throw up when you are in new places. It is hard to plan meals with other people, sometimes I have to tell them in advance that I may have to jump up and run to the bathroom for a bit. I never know when it is going to hit and even when I eat or drink slowly and carefully it can all of a sudden act up. It does seem like it is now worse than the first two times I had the procedure. So tired of this!

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.