Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: Bettyy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 28

After my first child 52 years ago I was told I had a hiatal hernia. I found that being 'burped' helped relieve. Years later I started having spasms in the esophagus while eating or drinking too fast. It felt like I was having a heart attack; it was diagnosed as Schatzki's ring. I discovered if I would immediately take an empty capsule purchased at pharmacy or use Prilosec or Tylenol capsule it would immediately open the esophagus. Best described it was like relieving a clogged drain with finger. I never left home without my empty capsules. Around age 65 I looked into having my esophagus stretched and seldom have had a spasm but often now get hiccups. Water helps and then time to have stretching done. I have had it done about 6 to 7 times in 15 years. Now I am 80 years old.

Comment from: NenesMama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had my first episode with this when I lived alone with my newborn. I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't swallow or breathe and I was getting light headed. That was 12 1/2 years ago. I've been diagnosed with a Schatzki's Ring and apparently a few others in my family have it. I still experience horrible symptoms, I still get light headed and think I'm going to pass out. Sometimes it causes violent regurgitation. I also have the horrible hiccups. I've had it stretched once and I try to watch what I eat. Bread or sweet bread is a huge trigger. But feeling like I'm going to black out is the worst.

Comment from: TrishS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was just occasionally having difficulty swallowing solid food. It would usually happen e.g., with a large lump of bread or if I tried to eat in too much of a hurry. I would feel the food stick somewhere in my chest and then just have to wait however long it took, maybe several minutes, for the sensation to go away, before I could continue eating. Trying to flush it through with water didn't always work; that would just sit above the solid food. As it was not happening on a daily basis or getting progressively worse, I was not too worried about a malignant cause, but eventually had an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy when the Schatzki's ring was found. I do recall my father having similar intermittent episodes.

Comment from: Emeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had several treatments for Schatzki's ring now. Attacks occur without warning (once in a restaurant) and I have to call 911 each time because of the chest pain. I am unable to swallow for about 20 minutes. I am told not to drink anything until the attack is over. I have surgery scheduled for stretching of the esophagus. Symptoms include severe chest pain and inability to swallow saliva.

Comment from: Utah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

About 18 months ago I had my first episode where my throat tightened up and I felt like I was choking. I had a few of these experiences in the next year, increasing in regularity with time. In the last three months I feel almost on a daily basis that food is getting stuck halfway down, and I need to drink a lot to get it to move on. Today I had an EGD. The results showed that I have a Schatzki"s ring. They dilated my esophagus. When I came out of the anesthesia the first thing that I noticed is that my throat didn"t hurt or feel tight like it has for months. Yay! My doctor said it'll grow back. I hope not for a while.

Comment from: yo yo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I went for the test and do have Schatzki's ring. I drink a lot of water when eating, chew it well, and avoid very dry foods in large doses; tuna straight out of the can, turkey and especially steak, I eat slowly with lot of water and small solid pieces. It is hereditary, my father has it. Good luck.

Comment from: chokingwater, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a heart attack. I had problems getting better. GERD was a problem for me and so was choking. An EDG and barium swallow showed that I had a Schatzki's ring. I am choking more and more in my throat so my upper sphincter is going to be stretched. I looked for a little information about this procedure and found this site. I notice that most people talk about their lower chest. Only a few people talk about their throat.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.