Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: Kathryn, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 11

My husband had one episode where he was eating and then felt like he couldn't breathe. It passed in a few moments, so we just thought he had swallowed the wrong way. Then, a few months later, it happened in the middle of a friend's dinner event and it was much scarier. My husband had horrible chest pain, turned very pale, sweated profusely and couldn't catch his breath. It looked like a heart attack and a doctor at the event insisted my husband go to emergency. They diagnosed dysphagia and said we had to have a follow-up with a gastroenterologist. Today my husband had an endoscopy and they found the Schatzki's ring and did the dilation while he was under. They also took biopsies, as there is a newly understood allergic ailment that can cause this. We'll know in a few days what the biopsies show. The doctor said that my husband might have to have the dilation done one other time in his lifetime, but said that a third dilation would be rare. Apparently, when they enlarge the ring, they are actually tearing the opening and it heals larger, but then can narrow again over a period of years. We're glad there were no growths or tumors, as that would have been the worst case scenario. I urge everyone with these symptoms to go to a gastroenterologist! As we were describing the symptoms, he immediately told us what it probably was and asked his assistant to get the dilation instruments, just in case. Don't ignore this, as apparently it's pretty fixable.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

Last February while at work I got a sudden urge to throw up. When I did it was just saliva. It would happen every 10 to 15 minutes. I went to emergency and they performed an endoscopy. It turned out a piece of banana was stuck. I too have Schatzki's ring but grateful it wasn't something worse. Yesterday I had the balloon treatment and feeling a sore throat but it is already feeling better today.

Comment from: Laney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring about 4 or 5 years ago, along with a hiatal hernia. I notice it when I eat too fast and don't chew my food very good. I have to drink a lot of water when I eat and I usually get the hiccups. It's a terrible feeling, like you are going to choke and you can't breathe, and your chest hurts. My doctor said to take small bites and eat slow. It really makes a difference!

Comment from: Tankar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

I was told I have probably had Schatzki's ring since birth, which would explain my awful pain and stomach problems as a kid. When I finally started choking on my food from it about ten years ago I put it off until I could stand it no more. I was scheduled to be knocked out for a colonoscopy so I told them to go ahead and fix the ring finally while I was out. That procedure hurt like a heart attack for a week after I woke up. It fixed the swallowing issue for about 5 years though. Now it's back. I am going to put up with the ring for now. I can't take that pain again.

Comment from: daxtea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Well, I am 41. I have had this Schatzki's ring problem for about 2 years now. What I have read and seen a few people talk about on YouTube seems to be that Schatzki's ring does not happen all the time. Probably 2 times a week, always the first bite and lasts a minute or 2. I sit and relax so I do not panic. It goes away and I am fine with the rest of meal. I don't have acid reflux symptoms or anything else going on. I don't have any other ailments other than having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I don't smoke or drink. This is strange to me. But what is even stranger is that my husband has the same thing going on, his started a year ago. So that in itself is scary that both of us have it. We are hoping it is nothing crazy going on with us. We have read maybe asbestos could be something going on since we have lived in our house going on 8 1/2 years now. One of the symptoms was trouble swallowing. We have not gotten checked yet. I think I may check to see about me first to see why I have this and why my husband does also. Very strange and scary.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.