Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: Utah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

About 18 months ago I had my first episode where my throat tightened up and I felt like I was choking. I had a few of these experiences in the next year, increasing in regularity with time. In the last three months I feel almost on a daily basis that food is getting stuck halfway down, and I need to drink a lot to get it to move on. Today I had an EGD. The results showed that I have a Schatzki"s ring. They dilated my esophagus. When I came out of the anesthesia the first thing that I noticed is that my throat didn"t hurt or feel tight like it has for months. Yay! My doctor said it'll grow back. I hope not for a while.

Comment from: chokingwater, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a heart attack. I had problems getting better. GERD was a problem for me and so was choking. An EDG and barium swallow showed that I had a Schatzki's ring. I am choking more and more in my throat so my upper sphincter is going to be stretched. I looked for a little information about this procedure and found this site. I notice that most people talk about their lower chest. Only a few people talk about their throat.

Comment from: sadiemae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia years ago. I then started to experience painful indigestion and was then diagnosed with GERD. Medication helped with that. I have recently been bothered with pain in my chest as well as a feeling that food was not going down my esophagus. I had a set of barium x-rays done and the result was the finding of the Schatzki's Ring as well as a very large hiatal hernia. I am now scheduled for stretching the ring.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I had pain in my chest when I swallowed. This was really the only symptom I had with Schatzki's ring. My 38 year old son has the same issue.

Comment from: LSibley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had the burning chest feeling for about 5 years off and on, kind of like a giant hair ball stuck in the upper part of my chest, along with a choking feeling that is a bit scary, regurgitation with saliva and usually passes in 5 minutes or less. I try to breathe gently when this happens. I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy 2 years ago and the Schatzki's Ring was diagnosed. I was grateful to have a diagnosis and the stretching of the ring. I have been symptom free until this last month and have had 2 episodes (today it was triggered by hard bread, the prior by hastily eating meat). I generally eat too fast so I practice eating slowly and this helps. Sometimes walking around helps; exercise is definitely a help. I also drink aloe vera juice from the health food store to help soothe the throat and digestive tract.

Comment from: mrhiccup, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had been diagnosed with Barrett's a couple years ago, and when I was recently scoped again, my gastroenterologist (without my prior consent) elected to stretch my Schatzki"s ring, which had not been a significant problem in the past at all. Now I have very bad GERD when I lie down after eating, and I also have violent hiccups after eating, and sometimes when I haven"t eaten- which is very disturbing and embarrassing. If one doesn"t have serious swallowing issues, I would caution allowing a doctor to perform this procedure.

Comment from: jsgibs, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had pain below my sternum for at least 10 years when I lie down. It was very painful and sometimes felt like gas was trapped in my upper stomach area. Lately when I go to bed, I have spasms below my sternum and it feels like someone is squeezing my esophagus or upper stomach. Every time I would turn over in bed, I would feel the squeezing feeling. Also, when reclined way back in the dentist or shampoo chair, it hurts when I am raised up from this reclined position. I have Schatzki's ring.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.