Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: Sidney, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I experienced swallowing difficulties from 1976 to 1991 with partial or full blockages. In 1991 I was diagnosed with Schatzski's Ring. After that, I was dilated every two years with an endoscopy using a hard rubber ball to filate the ring. In 2006 I started taking Omeprezole (Prilosec)to control my stomach acid. I have not had to dilate the Schatzki' Ring since that time and have no swallowing difficulties.

Comment from: loulu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For the last year I had trouble swallowing. I needed to have an ultrasound of my heart but the cardiologist would not do it until the swallowing problem was addressed. I had a barium swallow done, which didn't show anything. The doctor did an EGD and found the Schatzki's ring last week. He stretched the ring and the problem seems to be resolved already.

Published: January 14

For many years I would feel as though my food was stuck and would have to drink a lot to swallow it. I did a barium swallow but it didn't show anything. Then one day a piece of chicken got stuck. I could not regurgitate or swallow it or my saliva. I went to the ER and they did an EGD to dislodge the chicken and later I had a EGD to stretch the ring.

Comment from: Xcaliber, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I had trouble swallowing food. When eating I would get the sensation that I was choking. This choking sensation would lead to panic as I felt as if I could not breathe. In actuality I could breathe but, I could not pass food to my stomach. The sensation was very scary. This problem developed and became worse over a year. Sometimes I was able to alleviate the problem by drinking water but, sometimes I would have to induce vomiting by myself to remove the blockage. This problem was very intermittent. I finally went to a doctor and I had a video x-ray taken while ingesting barium. This video showed that I had a Schatzki ring in my esophagus which would intermittently dilate like a sphincter. I received the "ballon" treatment which was very painless and totally fixed the problem at that time. It is now 20 years later and I am having some of the same symptoms. I may need to have this done again.

Comment from: Roman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I'm 37 and I had trouble swallowing for almost 10 years. It was fine in the beginning but for the past 2 years I need to have water constantly available every time I swallow anything. The water helps me to push the food down. I have had 3 big chocking episodes that occurred while I was eating chicken or meat. I felt like I was dying, I couldn't breathe. I had to have someone do the Heimlich maneuver to make me regurgitate the food. I was really scared. One time the chocking lasted for 8 hours. I couldn't even swallow my own saliva because I couldn't breathe. I just got diagnosed with Schatzki's ring last month. Now I know what's going on. They made me drink barium and get an X-ray to discover it. It's getting worse everyday but I'm going to get the procedure with the balloons to expand my esophagus next week. I hope I can help some people having the same trouble as I am. It's really scary and I don't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am relieved others have these symptoms. Intense chest pain, saliva build up and you basically have to wait it out until it passes. Sometimes within a second you can almost feel the blockage or bubble feeling pop and your back to normal. I have had one procedure, dilation 6 years ago and my symptoms have returned in the pass few months. I notice a natural whole foods diet does not cause any symptoms, I am going to try that for a few more months before having another procedure. I fear that the procedures may cause scar tissue or more damage in the long term.

Comment from: Anne, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 12

I have a ten year old daughter who has this. Her GI doctor is following new research that seems to conclude that these can be caused by food allergies. We put her on a new diet with Prilosec and a Flovent inhaler to decrease the swelling and inflammation.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.