Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: springhiller, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

After a few bites of a meal I began to cough, sometimes very long and hard. Some believed I was choking, it was difficult to get my breath sometimes, but I could breathe. Food seemed to make a lump near the bottom of my breastbone, and at times it was quite painful. I have found that breathing slowly, eating slowly, and chewing my food well helps. Exercise also seems to help the symptoms of Schatzki's ring.

Comment from: nanny j, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Because of my Schatzki's ring I've difficulty swallowing, particularly steak, chicken and prescription tablets. Felt I had to get the food over a lump at the back of the throat often having 'heart burn' like sensation approximately 2-3 hours after eating.

Comment from: nochri67, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I have just recently been released from hospital with a schatzki ring and have now been on OMEPRAOLE 20mg and that seems to keep it at bay. I couldn't take any fluids in at all and regurgitated regularly but now have full range of intake. The condition can be distressing but is controllable you just have to take your time when eating.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had difficulty swallowing pills. They would get caught in my throat, staying there until they dissolved or I would simply not be able to swallow larger ones at all. I also sometimes experienced a feeling of constriction in my thoat which would give me a light-headed feeling for a few seconds. Yesterday I had an endoscopy and the doctor stretched the Schatzi ring. I have a mild sore throat today, but otherwise feel fine. I did not feel anything during the procedure. I was sedated and my thoat was sprayed with a numbing spray.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had this Schatzki's ring problem for decades. I have to eat very slowly. If food does get stuck for more than a few minutes I have to regurgitate to get it out. Usually if all of the food is regurgitated I can swallow again and resume eating. Occasionally when all of the food is regurgitated, I still can't swallow. When that occurs I find sucking on hard candy like lifesavers gets the swallowing process going agaain within a few minutes. For reasons I can't explain I find that regular strenuous aerobic exercise helps releive this condition. I can't think of a reason why the exercise works, but it does.

Comment from: dfowler30, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have the severe middle of chest pain from time to time. No heart condition, just acid reflux. I'm on daily medicine for it. I've found that drinking a full glass of water immediately stops the pain. If no water is available sometimes opening my mouth to form a perfect O causes a pop and the pain is relieved. Hopes this helps someone.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.