Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: TLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Schatzki's ring. Many of the symptoms described by the other patients here were my experience, although I didn't realize how serious it can get. I have been mostly vegan for several years, so I probably was spared a lot of episodes resulting from eating meat. I have found that warm to hot liquids ease the symptoms, as does walking up and down. I have been looking into the pH balancing of foods, and pursuing more alkaline-based foods, especially raw potatoes, which neutralizes stomach acids. This might be a good alternative to antacids.

Comment from: WjohnC, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed about 9 years ago, after seeing various doctors and receiving a lack of understanding as to the cause of my symptoms. I experience a blockage at nearly every meal, although regurgitation is far less often since my endoscopies. I have gone as long as 37-hours without being able to eat or drink because of a blockage, in the past. Most of the time, a carbonated drink will help remove the pressure. However, I almost never suffer any symptoms of heartburn, and I don't take any kind of anti-acids. The endoscopy greatly reduced my symptoms.

Comment from: LisaD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed with bronchitis. It started with cold and cough symptoms for a week. A week later, I had cough and mild wheezing. I am just starting to feel better now after three and a half weeks.

Comment from: mrhiccup, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had been diagnosed with Barrett's a couple years ago, and when I was recently scoped again, my gastroenterologist (without my prior consent) elected to stretch my Schatzki"s ring, which had not been a significant problem in the past at all. Now I have very bad GERD when I lie down after eating, and I also have violent hiccups after eating, and sometimes when I haven"t eaten- which is very disturbing and embarrassing. If one doesn"t have serious swallowing issues, I would caution allowing a doctor to perform this procedure.

Comment from: Knoble7264, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had severe acid reflux and was prescribed Prilosec. An endoscopy showed the Schatzki's ring. Prilosec keeps everything under control now.

Comment from: Amy Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with Shatzki's ring this during an endoscopy exam. They said they fixed the problem but I still have some pain when I eat. I was told to chew my food very slowly and to cut my food up very small. I sometimes feel like the pain is on both sides of my sternum and then moves under the breast almost like a spasm. It is very painful!

Comment from: SMF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I was diagnosed with the ring about 3 years ago. My doctor said it formed from rising stomach acids irritating my esophagus thru a hiatal hernia. I have found a simple solution. Every morning (and whenever convenient) I stretch over backward on the endge of my bed, until my hands touch the floor. This seems to correct the hernia and prevent the stomach acids from rising. I still have the occasional food sticking, but find that if I drink between every couple of bites then I am ok.

Comment from: Sidney, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I experienced swallowing difficulties from 1976 to 1991 with partial or full blockages. In 1991 I was diagnosed with Schatzski's Ring. After that, I was dilated every two years with an endoscopy using a hard rubber ball to filate the ring. In 2006 I started taking Omeprezole (Prilosec)to control my stomach acid. I have not had to dilate the Schatzki' Ring since that time and have no swallowing difficulties.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.