Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: mrhiccup, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had been diagnosed with Barrett's a couple years ago, and when I was recently scoped again, my gastroenterologist (without my prior consent) elected to stretch my Schatzki"s ring, which had not been a significant problem in the past at all. Now I have very bad GERD when I lie down after eating, and I also have violent hiccups after eating, and sometimes when I haven"t eaten- which is very disturbing and embarrassing. If one doesn"t have serious swallowing issues, I would caution allowing a doctor to perform this procedure.

Comment from: Knoble7264, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had severe acid reflux and was prescribed Prilosec. An endoscopy showed the Schatzki's ring. Prilosec keeps everything under control now.

Comment from: Amy Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with Shatzki's ring this during an endoscopy exam. They said they fixed the problem but I still have some pain when I eat. I was told to chew my food very slowly and to cut my food up very small. I sometimes feel like the pain is on both sides of my sternum and then moves under the breast almost like a spasm. It is very painful!

Comment from: SMF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I was diagnosed with the ring about 3 years ago. My doctor said it formed from rising stomach acids irritating my esophagus thru a hiatal hernia. I have found a simple solution. Every morning (and whenever convenient) I stretch over backward on the endge of my bed, until my hands touch the floor. This seems to correct the hernia and prevent the stomach acids from rising. I still have the occasional food sticking, but find that if I drink between every couple of bites then I am ok.

Comment from: Sidney, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I experienced swallowing difficulties from 1976 to 1991 with partial or full blockages. In 1991 I was diagnosed with Schatzski's Ring. After that, I was dilated every two years with an endoscopy using a hard rubber ball to filate the ring. In 2006 I started taking Omeprezole (Prilosec)to control my stomach acid. I have not had to dilate the Schatzki' Ring since that time and have no swallowing difficulties.

Comment from: loulu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For the last year I had trouble swallowing. I needed to have an ultrasound of my heart but the cardiologist would not do it until the swallowing problem was addressed. I had a barium swallow done, which didn't show anything. The doctor did an EGD and found the Schatzki's ring last week. He stretched the ring and the problem seems to be resolved already.

Published: January 14

For many years I would feel as though my food was stuck and would have to drink a lot to swallow it. I did a barium swallow but it didn't show anything. Then one day a piece of chicken got stuck. I could not regurgitate or swallow it or my saliva. I went to the ER and they did an EGD to dislodge the chicken and later I had a EGD to stretch the ring.

Comment from: Xcaliber, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I had trouble swallowing food. When eating I would get the sensation that I was choking. This choking sensation would lead to panic as I felt as if I could not breathe. In actuality I could breathe but, I could not pass food to my stomach. The sensation was very scary. This problem developed and became worse over a year. Sometimes I was able to alleviate the problem by drinking water but, sometimes I would have to induce vomiting by myself to remove the blockage. This problem was very intermittent. I finally went to a doctor and I had a video x-ray taken while ingesting barium. This video showed that I had a Schatzki ring in my esophagus which would intermittently dilate like a sphincter. I received the "ballon" treatment which was very painless and totally fixed the problem at that time. It is now 20 years later and I am having some of the same symptoms. I may need to have this done again.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.