Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: sadiemae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia years ago. I then started to experience painful indigestion and was then diagnosed with GERD. Medication helped with that. I have recently been bothered with pain in my chest as well as a feeling that food was not going down my esophagus. I had a set of barium x-rays done and the result was the finding of the Schatzki's Ring as well as a very large hiatal hernia. I am now scheduled for stretching the ring.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I had pain in my chest when I swallowed. This was really the only symptom I had with Schatzki's ring. My 38 year old son has the same issue.

Comment from: LSibley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had the burning chest feeling for about 5 years off and on, kind of like a giant hair ball stuck in the upper part of my chest, along with a choking feeling that is a bit scary, regurgitation with saliva and usually passes in 5 minutes or less. I try to breathe gently when this happens. I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy 2 years ago and the Schatzki's Ring was diagnosed. I was grateful to have a diagnosis and the stretching of the ring. I have been symptom free until this last month and have had 2 episodes (today it was triggered by hard bread, the prior by hastily eating meat). I generally eat too fast so I practice eating slowly and this helps. Sometimes walking around helps; exercise is definitely a help. I also drink aloe vera juice from the health food store to help soothe the throat and digestive tract.

Comment from: jsgibs, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had pain below my sternum for at least 10 years when I lie down. It was very painful and sometimes felt like gas was trapped in my upper stomach area. Lately when I go to bed, I have spasms below my sternum and it feels like someone is squeezing my esophagus or upper stomach. Every time I would turn over in bed, I would feel the squeezing feeling. Also, when reclined way back in the dentist or shampoo chair, it hurts when I am raised up from this reclined position. I have Schatzki's ring.

Comment from: TLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Schatzki's ring. Many of the symptoms described by the other patients here were my experience, although I didn't realize how serious it can get. I have been mostly vegan for several years, so I probably was spared a lot of episodes resulting from eating meat. I have found that warm to hot liquids ease the symptoms, as does walking up and down. I have been looking into the pH balancing of foods, and pursuing more alkaline-based foods, especially raw potatoes, which neutralizes stomach acids. This might be a good alternative to antacids.

Comment from: WjohnC, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed about 9 years ago, after seeing various doctors and receiving a lack of understanding as to the cause of my symptoms. I experience a blockage at nearly every meal, although regurgitation is far less often since my endoscopies. I have gone as long as 37-hours without being able to eat or drink because of a blockage, in the past. Most of the time, a carbonated drink will help remove the pressure. However, I almost never suffer any symptoms of heartburn, and I don't take any kind of anti-acids. The endoscopy greatly reduced my symptoms.

Comment from: LisaD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed with bronchitis. It started with cold and cough symptoms for a week. A week later, I had cough and mild wheezing. I am just starting to feel better now after three and a half weeks.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.