Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Comment from: TLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Schatzki's ring. Many of the symptoms described by the other patients here were my experience, although I didn't realize how serious it can get. I have been mostly vegan for several years, so I probably was spared a lot of episodes resulting from eating meat. I have found that warm to hot liquids ease the symptoms, as does walking up and down. I have been looking into the pH balancing of foods, and pursuing more alkaline-based foods, especially raw potatoes, which neutralizes stomach acids. This might be a good alternative to antacids.

Comment from: WjohnC, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed about 9 years ago, after seeing various doctors and receiving a lack of understanding as to the cause of my symptoms. I experience a blockage at nearly every meal, although regurgitation is far less often since my endoscopies. I have gone as long as 37-hours without being able to eat or drink because of a blockage, in the past. Most of the time, a carbonated drink will help remove the pressure. However, I almost never suffer any symptoms of heartburn, and I don't take any kind of anti-acids. The endoscopy greatly reduced my symptoms.

Comment from: Knoble7264, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had severe acid reflux and was prescribed Prilosec. An endoscopy showed the Schatzki's ring. Prilosec keeps everything under control now.

Comment from: Amy Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with Shatzki's ring this during an endoscopy exam. They said they fixed the problem but I still have some pain when I eat. I was told to chew my food very slowly and to cut my food up very small. I sometimes feel like the pain is on both sides of my sternum and then moves under the breast almost like a spasm. It is very painful!

Comment from: SMF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I was diagnosed with the ring about 3 years ago. My doctor said it formed from rising stomach acids irritating my esophagus thru a hiatal hernia. I have found a simple solution. Every morning (and whenever convenient) I stretch over backward on the endge of my bed, until my hands touch the floor. This seems to correct the hernia and prevent the stomach acids from rising. I still have the occasional food sticking, but find that if I drink between every couple of bites then I am ok.

Comment from: Sidney, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I experienced swallowing difficulties from 1976 to 1991 with partial or full blockages. In 1991 I was diagnosed with Schatzski's Ring. After that, I was dilated every two years with an endoscopy using a hard rubber ball to filate the ring. In 2006 I started taking Omeprezole (Prilosec)to control my stomach acid. I have not had to dilate the Schatzki' Ring since that time and have no swallowing difficulties.

Comment from: loulu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For the last year I had trouble swallowing. I needed to have an ultrasound of my heart but the cardiologist would not do it until the swallowing problem was addressed. I had a barium swallow done, which didn't show anything. The doctor did an EGD and found the Schatzki's ring last week. He stretched the ring and the problem seems to be resolved already.

Published: January 14

For many years I would feel as though my food was stuck and would have to drink a lot to swallow it. I did a barium swallow but it didn't show anything. Then one day a piece of chicken got stuck. I could not regurgitate or swallow it or my saliva. I went to the ER and they did an EGD to dislodge the chicken and later I had a EGD to stretch the ring.

Schatzki's Ring - Treatment Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.