Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Treatment

Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.

Comment from: Noonie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

About 15 years ago I started having problems with food getting stuck in my throat. Often the only way to resolve the problem was to make myself throw up. The doctor did a barium test and found nothing. About 5 years ago, while discussing pre-colonoscopy questionnaire with my specialist, the choking issue was discussed and the doctor said that it was probably a ring of scar tissue causing the problem. Sometime after that, while talking to my homeopathic doctor, I was told to swallow a spoon of manuka honey to help me when I had an attack. It works like a charm! I have used ordinary honey and even a Tic-tac. It relaxes my throat and the problem goes away. Today, at an appointment with my specialist after an endoscopic procedure, I was told that I have a hiatal hernia and a Schatzki's ring. I was shown a photo of my ring. If I take some honey or a Tic-tac as soon as the hiccups start, I can prevent my throat from closing. It happens more often if I am in a hurry, stressed, or not enjoying my food, but it also seems to happen for no apparent reason. I remember my grandmother had the same problem.

Comment from: Swann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring three years ago. I had a terrifying choking episode in a restaurant while on vacation in Italy (pasta). My mother and grandmother also had this. I never ever had symptoms of heartburn, but after an endoscopy, the doctor put me on Prilosec and it really helps. I'm concerned that it may interfere with calcium absorption, but if I go even a few days without it, the choking begins again. The last time I tried to stop taking it, I almost wound up in the emergency room. It was very frightening.

Comment from: golfmajest, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was just diagnosed with Schatzki's ring during an endoscopy procedure. I have been having food get stuck in my throat and horrible pain in the upper part of my abdomen. I thought I was having a heart attack one night, it was so bad and I have had to make myself throw up to get the food out of there. My doctor stretched my entire esophagus and this is supposed to help keep the food from getting caught in there. Hopefully this will help.

Comment from: girlie girl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had trouble with food not going all the way into my stomach sometimes. My doctor prescribed a manometry and based on the result did an endoscopy and stretched the Schatzki's ring. I do not know yet whether it helped.

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I always had trouble swallowing. I remember walking to elementary school while eating an apple, it stuck in my esophagus, I drank from a puddle in the middle of the road to force the apple down. Every bite of food was followed by a sip of liquid to push it through. In my early forties I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring and started dilatation (once or twice a year). I am now 47 and have been taking Pantoloc 40mg/once daily. I no longer have problems swallowing, even go through 3 daily meals drinking no liquids just to test if the Pantoloc is working. I know from reading reviews that not everyone responds the same to a given medication, but Pantoloc changed my life for the better.

Comment from: Stu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

Schatzki's ring gets me down at times, but I could have a meal and there would be an episode, the exact same meal the week after and everything would be fine. If I had a few pints of beer before the meal, it actually helps (kind of gulping perhaps stretches it slightly, not sure). But it's the only connection I have. And maybe when stressed I am affected.

Comment from: Gramma Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

About a decade ago I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring and have had several dilation procedures done since. They do help as does Prilosec. However, I still choke, especially if I'm pretty hungry and eat too fast. If I am very careful to chew my food thoroughly and not eat too fast I do better. I also choke on pills, tablets or large supplements. Capsules go down better and soft-gels are best. Some things I've found that help me break up the "log-jam" are jumping on a mini-trampoline or better yet, twisting my torso in any way I can - especially rotating at the waist as far as I can from left to right. Bending at the waist from side to side can also help. Anything you can do to stretch or twist the esophagus seems to help.

Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?