Patient Comments: Schatzki's Ring - Treatment

Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.

Comment from: Gramma Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

About a decade ago I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring and have had several dilation procedures done since. They do help as does Prilosec. However, I still choke, especially if I'm pretty hungry and eat too fast. If I am very careful to chew my food thoroughly and not eat too fast I do better. I also choke on pills, tablets or large supplements. Capsules go down better and soft-gels are best. Some things I've found that help me break up the "log-jam" are jumping on a mini-trampoline or better yet, twisting my torso in any way I can - especially rotating at the waist as far as I can from left to right. Bending at the waist from side to side can also help. Anything you can do to stretch or twist the esophagus seems to help.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: BeeNear, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband has Schatzki's ring and his father also has it. My husband had the ring expanded a few years ago. He said it did little to help him. He is only getting worse and has to really pay attention and chew his food well or else it gets stuck and he has to vomit it up. He doesn't vomit a lot, but food is getting stuck more often no matter what he eats.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Pastor Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I went into the hospital May 20th, 2014. I thought the EGD was just a basic procedure that the doctor ordered. I had a tracheostomy when I was a young child and the doctor had to remove scar tissue, he did the Maloney dilation which was very successful. I am just a bit concerned because he did multiple cold forceps biopsies for eosinophilic esophagitis. I go see him in 2 weeks for the results. I want you all to know that I have had all the symptoms of Schatzki"s ring you are talking about for a very long time, and many times in the emergency room for chest pains. Having such a busy schedule as we all do is what kept us from getting the care we needed in a timely manner, which I feel has played a big role in where I am today. Please if you are having these problems and can"t swallow, choking, and chest pains, don"t wait. Ask the doctor right away.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sapg, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 25

My husband has been diagnosed with it. He had a barium test and then was given a pill (Dexilant). Still having trouble swallowing and is a little gaggy. He has little to no appetite.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Hollandprojects, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I always thought that schatskis ring was just really bad heart burn. Sometimes it felt like my stomache was turning inside out. (We know the feeling of the piece of food that gets stuck) One day I could not swallow anything and the heartburn pain was so bad that I went to the hospital. I finally layed down and the food went down. They were concerened about chest pains and I ended up performing some radioactive heart attack test, which cost a lot of money. They never did diagnose me with schatzkis ring. I was only recently told by someone else that had it. Thats when I stumbled on this sight.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Schatzki's Ring - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of Schatzki's ring?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors