Patient Comments: Scalp Psoriasis - Symptoms

Describe your symptoms of scalp psoriasis.

Comment from: Devon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I suddenly and out of nowhere started itching on my scalp. It's been torture with a constant itch and white flakes on my clothes. Now it's in my ear and all the itching is on my left side including my left ear. I went to the dermatologist and she said I have scalp psoriasis and gave me Topicort spray and oh, I was so happy because within 3 days it was all gone, the itching and everything but then I developed these bumps on my scalp and it hurt to the touch. I called my doctor and she said I was having a steroid induced reaction from the medicine and put me on antibiotics. Well great, she calls me in for another medicine and it is 188.00 dollars that I don't have, so I'm still losing my mind and have tried everything from coconut oil to mineral oil to everything. The only thing that helps stop the itching temporarily is the Scalpicin liquid but it burns so bad when I put in on.

Comment from: Mother of 2, Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I just got diagnosed with scalp psoriasis on Monday, but I'm still baffled by it. Growing up, I just thought I had bad dandruff. When I was 14 years old is when I remembered that maybe this wasn't normal, but I wasn't normal, my home setting (water conditions) were not normal. So I just ignored it. Finally about a year ago my boyfriend said it was getting bad, behind my ears even. So I asked my doctor. We tried different shampoos and drops but nothing was helping. Finally she sent me to a dermatologist. It took her about 30 seconds to name my problem. It turns out my mother and grandmother have it too. If I would've stood up when I was younger, I probably would've had less teasing and stress about my dandruff. Now I can start treatments, and hopefully get it under control.

Comment from: hair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had what I thought was a pimple on scalp that just continually got worse. It started when I was 21 years old now I am 35. I never had it before but used to work with a lady who had it everywhere. The psoriasis is only on my scalp and at least 2 inches across. I got it looked at when I was pregnant, they said it was scalp psoriasis and proceeded to do nothing else to help condition.

Comment from: Jbell, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

With scalp psoriasis I have severe itching, scaling, redness, flakes and throbbing.

Scalp Psoriasis - Topical Treatments Question: What topical treatments have been effective for your scalp psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Office Treatments Question: Describe the medical treatments you have received for your scalp psoriasis at your doctor's office.
Scalp Psoriasis - Medications Question: If you have severe scalp psoriasis, which prescription medications have you tried?