Patient Comments: Scalp Psoriasis - Symptoms

Describe your symptoms of scalp psoriasis.

Comment from: judith2538, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

A few years ago a mild, itchy rash started to appear on my hairy scalp which slowly moved down to the line of my eyebrows, mustache and beard and began to spread into an even larger area. It emerged gradually, however varied in intensity, sometimes it was visible other times it completely disappeared. As time passed the symptoms became more and more stubborn and intense. Smaller and larger white scaly, red patches came out on facial area, which was not an aesthetic sight at all. I had to admit that I needed to deal with this so, I went to see a dermatologist who told me that I have psoriasis. She hasn't encouraged me with rapid improvement and she also told me that the relatively fast-acting medications have strong long-term side effects, while the so-called maintenance treatments can provide the desired effects slowly. Well let's face it honestly, this whole thing didn't sound promising at all. I began to treat myself for quick result with a cream which according to the specialist and the description is fast-acting with strong side effects, so I took the risk. After application of the cream I experienced some improvement, but unfortunately when I stopped using it the symptoms soon returned, they became even stronger than before. In addition, the side effects were more and more uncomfortable. Then I tried Arquebuse Water which has helped me get rid of it. I still use it today and when I feel the first signs of the symptoms, I immediately spray it onto the area.

Comment from: sickitch, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My dermatologist did a biopsy of my scalp which determined I had squamous cell problem, which he said was pre-cancerous. My scalp psoriasis has improved with his treatment but now remains at a scaly, itching level that drives me crazy. There is one cream that helps temporarily but leaves the hair so oily, I can't go 2 days without washing it. I continue to lose hair and am taking 800 mg of finasteride.

Comment from: Devon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I suddenly and out of nowhere started itching on my scalp. It's been torture with a constant itch and white flakes on my clothes. Now it's in my ear and all the itching is on my left side including my left ear. I went to the dermatologist and she said I have scalp psoriasis and gave me Topicort spray and oh, I was so happy because within 3 days it was all gone, the itching and everything but then I developed these bumps on my scalp and it hurt to the touch. I called my doctor and she said I was having a steroid induced reaction from the medicine and put me on antibiotics. Well great, she calls me in for another medicine and it is 188.00 dollars that I don't have, so I'm still losing my mind and have tried everything from coconut oil to mineral oil to everything. The only thing that helps stop the itching temporarily is the Scalpicin liquid but it burns so bad when I put in on.

Comment from: Mother of 2, Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I just got diagnosed with scalp psoriasis on Monday, but I'm still baffled by it. Growing up, I just thought I had bad dandruff. When I was 14 years old is when I remembered that maybe this wasn't normal, but I wasn't normal, my home setting (water conditions) were not normal. So I just ignored it. Finally about a year ago my boyfriend said it was getting bad, behind my ears even. So I asked my doctor. We tried different shampoos and drops but nothing was helping. Finally she sent me to a dermatologist. It took her about 30 seconds to name my problem. It turns out my mother and grandmother have it too. If I would've stood up when I was younger, I probably would've had less teasing and stress about my dandruff. Now I can start treatments, and hopefully get it under control.

Comment from: hair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had what I thought was a pimple on scalp that just continually got worse. It started when I was 21 years old now I am 35. I never had it before but used to work with a lady who had it everywhere. The psoriasis is only on my scalp and at least 2 inches across. I got it looked at when I was pregnant, they said it was scalp psoriasis and proceeded to do nothing else to help condition.

Scalp Psoriasis - Topical Treatments Question: What topical treatments have been effective for your scalp psoriasis?
Scalp Psoriasis - Office Treatments Question: Describe the medical treatments you have received for your scalp psoriasis at your doctor's office.
Scalp Psoriasis - Medications Question: If you have severe scalp psoriasis, which prescription medications have you tried?