Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: Bijouxsha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I contracted scabies at the gym. I noticed a man with weird spots all over his legs and we were using the same machines. About four weeks later, I had a pimple-like spot on my forearm. I thought it was a pimple and squeezed it. It created a huge crater and only pus (or so I thought) came out. Then I began to get areas of irritation all over my body. The worst area was in my armpit – the itching at night was horrible. After two weeks, I figured out it was scabies. Here is how I got rid of them: Permethrin 5% cream. Change sheets daily. If I sat on furniture, I sat on a sheet and then washed it. I also got some tea tree oil and mixed 1 part tea tree oil with 4 parts vitamin E oil and coated myself in it every night for the past few weeks. I slept in full clothing, including socks on my hands. I also put tea tree oil in my hair, just to be sure. My husband and I reinfected each other several times, but eventually we got rid of them. I itched for another month afterwards, but stopped getting the red bumpy areas within a few days. This was the worst month of my life, and I spent nearly $300 between the doctor, water bills, bandages, and creams, etc.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I don't know where I got scabies. I have a friend who had lice and I sat in his car for a little while. I got red bites on one leg and used some old medication for lice that I kept when my husband had it while he was homeless 10 years ago. It went away and I was fine, until I put the same pants back on that I wore when I was in my friend's car. Of course, the pants were washed and dried, and were clean – or so I thought. Then I got bites on my shoulders and back. That was two months ago, and I have been using permethrin 5%. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I hope she gives me a pill for it. It's horrible to have this. I never had this when I was homeless as a teen. I am clean, shower daily, and I still have this. I will try the Lysol treatment. I have seen there is a natural treatment for it, but it is about $80. I'm thinking of ordering it if this doesn't go away. I do have three cats but I read that it couldn't be from them. I'd like to get rid of these soon.

Comment from: What's in common, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been infected with scabies for about three months. At first we thought they were bed bugs and I had professionals out to treat our home. I still got bites in the middle of the night and woke up in pain. I've experienced terrible anxiety and it's been like fighting a war. I know how all of you feel. My husband has not been infected, but we moved him into the guest bedroom and he's been there since. Show your doctor the spots or take pictures of the really bad spots. Wash your clothes and bedding every day in sulfur—you can find it at a drug store. Wash your hair and treat it if you need to. I'd like to know how we got these “monsters” in the first place? I had 80 bites on one leg. I have a dog and am around horses, livestock and hay in a barn every day.

Comment from: Mitey Nutty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

At first I noticed a severe itching on my ring finger, along w/ white bumps all down the side of it. (This was 2-3 weeks after contact w/ person who infected me). Then, gradually, I noticed itching beyond normal. I thought nothing of it. Then 6-8 weeks after contact, all my symptoms came on. Severe itching. Then a rash, then I noticed the "tracks" last. Some were red, 1/2 inch long, sometimes with 2-3 lines directly above them. Some tracks/burrows were white bumpy and approximately 1/2 - an inch long. Also were thin white lines. Very thin, about 1/2 inch long. The tracks came last and that's when I figured out what I had & it's been hell sense. It takes trial and error, but they can be eradicated.

Comment from: Kayli3254, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I'm 17 years old and had probably been itching for 3 months straight not knowing it was scabies. I had been to 3 different doctors and they all had different reasons, eczema allergies or just a simple body rash. My entire body was infected after several weeks and as you can imagine took forever to get into the dermatologist. I was shocked how quickly the doctor was to say scabies after she saw just one bump and how all three of the other doctors were oblivious the condition even after I pointed scabies out to them. She prescribed me with permethrin cream 5 % and hydroxyzine 25mg Safe to say with any skin condition I would go straight to a dermatologist.

Comment from: Fruitypebbles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Severe itching under my breast, itching on my hands, burning rashes that appeared for no reason & my body was very hot in isolated. Three in a row bites (which are consistent with bed bugs so I delayed treatment and sprayed 91% alcohol. It felt like dust mites. i saw alot of what appeared to be dust particles around clothing that caused me severe itching! Appetite has also been suppressed as a result of mites. It also noticed that mites like to lay eggs on a crevices of your flesh. I am fair skinned bi-racial african American with facial freckles the bumps on my body is light brown & it egg nest on my back looks like a ringworm more so in a circle with tiny bumps inside (not in a ring)

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?