Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently discovered little bumps on the top of my hands that itched pretty badly. They then started to appear on the top of my feet and worked their way up my arms and legs. I went to the emergency room (just moved and don't have a doctor) and she told me she thinks I have scabies. She prescribed me permethrin 5 percent like the rest of you. But I read here that vinegar and salt help. People, vinegar and salt do help!

Comment from: Outoftheblue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I believe I got it from my 6 year old son who lives with his mother. She mentioned he was itching, around the last week of March. After looking at him on April 4th and searching online I quickly came to think scabies. The burrows and tiny skin colored bumps in a line were present. He had had tiny skin color bumps around his waist band, side and back of neck, chest, lower back, and butt area. There were not too many all over, just tiny clusters here and there. The doctor did not agree with me and prescribed prednisolone for him. Around the middle of May, I recall a feeling on my skin like you would when pale skin first got sunburn (more like a hot burning feeling). It was not an itch at the time, more like a need to brush my hand across the skin. I remember standing in the shower a few days later and noticed my entire groin area was brighter in color like a sun burn. My skin looked like a rash at that time. Bumps were not visible, just a blotchy redness. It progressed. I noticed tiny bumps like my son had around the entire area of my boxer shorts and socks. I had bumps on my ankles. It was a few days later that I noticed more bumps in other areas, arms, on knees, behind knees, back, neck, between fingers, and chest. Best way to describe the itching is that as the days went by, the itching was more often and intense and nothing I did would make it go away. Lost a lot of sleep. I finally went back to the same doctor on June 5th because the itching got to the point where I was unable to sleep at night and now the doctor believes it is scabies. He prescribed permethrin cream for me and my son.

Comment from: JJ6, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

The only thing new in my life when I first noticed my first itchy spot was a new gym membership. About a month later it had turned into a rash and bites appeared on my other leg. Soon my hip, elbow, waist, tailbone were affected and a doctor diagnosed it as scabies and prescribed permethrin cream. My first application seemed to agitate two of the areas considerably. On a scale of 1 to 10 I was about an 8 with the itch. A few days later I was about a 4 in the evening. I reapplied to some sensitive spots but no improvement. I then did another full application a couple weeks later but no improvement. I ordered a natural product, which helped considerably with the itch immediately but they slowly began to spread again. This time, a month and a half later, it was not as intense. I had been bathing in sulfur soap, tea tree oil was of no help, and dabbing spots with isopropyl alcohol was helpful after showers. I finally came across a post about Nu-Stock. I was that desperate to try it. I mixed a 12 dollar tube with regular lotion and applied heavily for four nights in a row. In a couple spots where it began to sting a little I just applied more regular lotion. I wore sweats and long sleeve t-shirt to bed and was discouraged as a new rash developed in two areas. I kept at it and the rashes began to heal and the other smaller trouble spots began to heal. Constant clothes and bedding washing and reapplication of Nu-Stock for a week has made the biggest impact yet. Just one small spot I'm watching and zero itch. The smell is awful but after everything else I would start with this product before anything else. So grateful for seeing healing. There is a video on you tube and a few posts if you search. Please research yourself but in my case I'll rave about the stuff. Good luck!

Comment from: exhausted, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been dealing with scabies for almost 2 months now. When I first went to the doctor they told me I had gotten poison ivy. Then I went back because I wasn't getting better and then the doctor realized it was scabies. I had it on my hands in between my fingers, on my stomach, under my armpit, and on my thighs near my vagina. I got the permethrin cream 5 percent and I used the whole tube. My mom also made a spray of tea tree oil and the scabies on my hands had disappeared and were gone but that took a month. Then I noticed the area in my privates was still bad and had welts so I went back to the doctor again and got cream. She suggested that I clean everything; I have cleaned my sheets, bought new sheets and cleaned clothes, and I am hoping it goes away. It has brought me down and made me depressed, wondering when it will go away.

Comment from: Itchintx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

However unconventional, this worked for me for scabies. I had several bites that were not concentrated in one particular area (a few here, a few there). As soon as I saw one, I'd pop the pustule and swab it with alcohol. Then smother it in toothpaste and cover with a Band-Aid. The toothpaste stung a bit. Doing this helped relieve itching and smothered the mite. I kept this up while treating and haven't had any additional issues.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?