Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: Bernie 65, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My 14 year old son has just been diagnosed with Scabies and do not know how he contracted this condition. The itching is driving him crazy and I have had to cover him with lotion. Also he was prescribed with Anti Histamine medicine which will hopefully give some relief. I have purchased an anti allergy quilt for his bed and will have to treat the whole family with lotion. Treatment has to be repeated in 14 days time apparently to ensure that mites have been cleared so hope this does not re occur.

Comment from: diaz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been suffering with a rash on my hand and has moved to my entire body. It has been ten years since it started. And I have seen about 20 doctors in that time. I was told I had everything but scabies. Finally a country Doctor told me "you have scabies." That explains a lot. The doctor prescribed a lotion. I am looking for a natural cure as well to use after the lotion. I got this infection after buying a house that was in poor condition. We remodeled it. I didn't know I would get a bug from that.

Comment from: my dog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

i got scabies when i was hospital& the doctors office 3 years ago. they have little white sack attach to the scab and tunnel to find a male scabies then the female dies.i haved used every kind of treatment you can think of tree oil you name it i have tried it. my immune system is down because i have Lymphoma.

Comment from: sonia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was on three different antibiotics due to a stubborn urinary tract infection. I believe I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, as I was itching like a crazy person. Two months later and still itching, having seen my primary physician, an acupuncturist, and two dermatologists, I am treating myself for scabies. It's odd in my mind that I get scabies at the same time I had an itchy allergic reaction to a medication. But, after reading some of the posts here, I am thinking that it's possible the mites are opportunistic and because my immune system was lowered due to the antibiotics, the critters just moved on in. (If someone can tell me otherwise, I'd love to know, since this is just a theory of mine.) My pharmacist said that cloth seats can contain the mites, and the seats on public transportation here in the SF bay area are cloth-covered. He also said cloth-covered seats in churches where homeless people spend time could be another source. I treated myself with the Permethrin cream last night, and will be scouring my apartment for the rest of the week and washing all my clothes.

Comment from: leanne, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I went to see a doctor four days after many red, itchy bumps appeared all over my body. I also had bumps around my nipples. I believe it started with a scab on my nipple, which is odd, and for a while I had doubts about it being scabies. I have bumps, but no burrows, mostly on my stomach and face, although I have some on my legs, pubic area, and back. I also have bumps on my hands, and some are appearing between my toes, but they are clear liquid-filled bumps. I looked this up on the Internet and it seems like pompholyx to me, which is a separate issue. I just hope this goes away as soon as possible, the bumps are so itchy and it is really embarrassing because I know everyone else thinks I have a really bad case of acne.

Comment from: Female Published: April 15

My daughter had swelling around her eye on the right side of her face although the rash was all over her face.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?