Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: Samiiee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Even though my rash looks nothing like scabies according to two different doctors, they are treating me as if it is. I don't feel any crawling. Just itchy and really sore. It's not on my stomach, back, head, ears or even my face. The rash is just on my elbows, bottom and vaginal area with a bit of spotting almost chicken pox look a like on the parts of my arms, legs and feet. The doctors have told me it's a rare case not to have it all over. Let's hope these pills and cream help soon

Comment from: jar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with scabies a couple of weeks ago. I believe I had it a long time. I have a rash on my scalp, finger, toe, calve, elbows, under my arm, and around my waste. It is extremely itchy. I have done the lotion four times and still have intense itching on my scalp and under my arm. My scalp is the worst!

Comment from: kris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 34 years old and I just found out that I have scabies. I had no clue that I had them. I just started working over at Stahile's Laundry. About two weeks later they started to show up on me and I thought it was bugs bites. It was getting so bad and very itchy. The skin doctor has me on the creams that treat it but it makes it worse. I am scratching it right off and it sucks I can't work at all.

Comment from: Goddiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was just diagnosed yesterday with scabies. It's random painful needle-like pain. The itching for me got 5 times worse when applying the cream to get rid of the mites. I have more rashes. I want to rip my skin off my bones. Last night the itching and pain was so intense I didn't sleep a wink. My skin is very dry and cracked now because of the treatments. Oh, and don't look under the microscope at the mite, it's nasty!

Comment from: Sandpiper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I, too, don't know how I got these critters called scabies. I tried all the creams suggested by my doctor. They really didn't help. I'm covered all over my chest, back, arms, and my neck. I have some on my stomach, butt, private area, and legs. I've gone through many tubes of itch cream also. Finally my doctor gave me a prescription for Stromectol. I take two pills on an empty stomach and take two more pills in two weeks. I am also taking Zyrtec 10 mg one time a day and I put Sarna Medicated Lotion all over me two times a day. I have just started this and I'm hoping it helps. So far, today, it's not too bad, but it's always at night when these mites do their traveling. I've also washed my bedding in hot water. Hope we all have luck getting rid of them. You may want to ask your doctor about Stromectol. Good Luck.

Comment from: Worried mommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My four year old was diagnosed with scabies about four months ago. We took her to the emergency room four times with the same symptoms: itching red bumps started on her hands and feet but eventually covered her entire body. She constantly itched and scratched. Finally we took her to a dermatologist who diagnosed the rash as scabies. It took two treatments a week apart of permethrin cream to cure her. I cleaned every blanket pillow and article of clothing in our entire house with Lysol and hot water. She is now free of scabies but has scars from the scratching.

Comment from: Onegina, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I used Sulfur ointment for about 3 weeks and it did cure the bug. Most likely, I caught it on the train, and boy, I suffered for about 2 months until I diagnosed myself with it (I'm not a doctor, I was a Biology student at that time) while reading a textbook on skin diseases. I actually found a mite at the end of the burrow! It's grayish-green and really small, I extracted it and looked at it under a microscope. My next step was to get the ointment - it's OTC in Russia, so I skipped the doctor visit.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Hi, I had scabies for around three months, caught it from my mum. You need to use the Lyclear cream on your head as well as body, in your hair (glad wrap your head) but not around your eyes, place in back neck and around ears. If they are biting around your eyes get the doctor to give you an antibiotic eye cream that has a low dose of borax and smear your eyes with the cream all at the same time. As for application times, do it once then three days later than a week later (to make sure you get all the life cycle). Change all bedding and clothing. I ended up leaving my home and staying elsewhere (with application cream all over me so didn't infect the new place), I bought all new bathroom stuff and new towels and cheap clothing for five days in new place. Also placed my entire clothing bedding etc in bags and left them for two weeks to make sure all bugs dead. It's a pain but it worked. The scabies bugs tend to run to your head to hide from body applications hence the reoccurrences!! Does not use the same pillow...even wrap them in plastic to sleep on them.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?