Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: honesty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I think Doctors don't really want to clear it up immediately. It brings money in for them. My doctor tried to give only one tube knowing it is impossible to rid of the parasite very first time due to still needing to wash clothing and bedding that re-infest you while touching these items. It also amuses me how some people say their doctor didn't know what it was after several visits at first. I think it's a money making scheme that's all, for the Doctors and the pharmaceuticals.

Comment from: tvkb0507, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I stayed at a hotel for four days and upon me arriving home the very next day I started to see red spots on my arm. By day two I was covered all over my belly, under and side of boobs and on my lower back. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with what I thought was bed bug bites it was actually scabies. The doctor said whoever stayed before me may have had them. I have no had close contact with anyone but my kids and they do not have it. I was prescribed permythrin and used it yesterday. Now it's the night after and I'm covered a whole lot worse. The Walgreens lady told me it's probably because the little demons are dying off. I'm so itchy I want to rip my skin off. I have used the dryer to help with the itching. I read a great thing to use is "Sulfur Soap" I read it not only kills them but also helps heal your rash/bumps/scars a lot quicker. I will be going to store and getting me some cause I cannot tolerate this itching any longer.

Comment from: Fruitypebbles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Severe itching under my breast, itching on my hands, burning rashes that appeared for no reason & my body was very hot in isolated. Three in a row bites (which are consistent with bed bugs so I delayed treatment and sprayed 91% alcohol. It felt like dust mites. i saw alot of what appeared to be dust particles around clothing that caused me severe itching! Appetite has also been suppressed as a result of mites. It also noticed that mites like to lay eggs on a crevices of your flesh. I am fair skinned bi-racial african American with facial freckles the bumps on my body is light brown & it egg nest on my back looks like a ringworm more so in a circle with tiny bumps inside (not in a ring)

Comment from: luv2sre, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had scabies that I acquired from my mother in the nursing home. I did several rounds of premetherin cream but was nearly having a mental breakdown. A fella at the local health foods store gave me what I believe was the solution. We washed all of our laundry with Borax, used dimethicus earth (food grade) and sprinkled that on our carpets, bedding, mattress and pets and left it to sit a few days before vaccumming. We also used neem soap with each bathing followed by neem lotion and I would also put tea tree oil on the itchy areas. Wash your hair with rubbing alcohol if you feel itching and crawling on your scalp. We did this regimine for a few weeks and the dermatologist told me that surely I had eradicated them all with as much pesticide I had put on my body. He told me the itching would continue a while due to allergic reaction and putting so much stuff on my skin. He advised me to stop the premetherin treatments and give myself a few weeks for my skin to calm down and I should be free of scabies. I did continue the neem soap as it is soothing to the skin and voila! I was free! You can also spray peppermint or orange oil mixture ( I cannot remember the dosage) and spray your automobile and soft surfaces with this as well. We spent a small fortune but it was money well spent. I really feel the neem, DE, tea tree oil and alocohol and borax helped more than the premetherin to rid the bugs. Plus you can continue use of borax, de, and essential oils if you choose with no harmful effects. Good luck!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I too was recently diagnosed with scabies. After the shock wore off, all I did was question how I could've contracted this nasty parasite. I have not been sexually active for several years. I had been experiencing symptoms for about six weeks and finally went to my dermatologist. He prescribed oral medication which I have to repeat in one week. I truly pray that does the trick. I've never felt so disgusted in all my life. After washing everything I could in hot water, I used my shark steam mop with the attachments to do my bed and furniture.

Comment from: Marianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had scabies for 9 months. I have used Permethrin and Eurax as well as Ivermectin. I am not a dirty person, in fact, I have OCD with cleanliness. I have shampooed and steamed all furniture and flooring (carpet, wood, and tile) at least 30 times. I have not slept in my bed for all this time limiting contact with all but a leather couch which is disinfected daily. I still have them although none of the rest of the family has been infected. I believe I contracted them from a hotel room. What else can I do. My doctor thinks I am not cleaning enough. I take two showers a day, one with an exfoliate.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?