Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: luv2sre, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had scabies that I acquired from my mother in the nursing home. I did several rounds of premetherin cream but was nearly having a mental breakdown. A fella at the local health foods store gave me what I believe was the solution. We washed all of our laundry with Borax, used dimethicus earth (food grade) and sprinkled that on our carpets, bedding, mattress and pets and left it to sit a few days before vaccumming. We also used neem soap with each bathing followed by neem lotion and I would also put tea tree oil on the itchy areas. Wash your hair with rubbing alcohol if you feel itching and crawling on your scalp. We did this regimine for a few weeks and the dermatologist told me that surely I had eradicated them all with as much pesticide I had put on my body. He told me the itching would continue a while due to allergic reaction and putting so much stuff on my skin. He advised me to stop the premetherin treatments and give myself a few weeks for my skin to calm down and I should be free of scabies. I did continue the neem soap as it is soothing to the skin and voila! I was free! You can also spray peppermint or orange oil mixture ( I cannot remember the dosage) and spray your automobile and soft surfaces with this as well. We spent a small fortune but it was money well spent. I really feel the neem, DE, tea tree oil and alocohol and borax helped more than the premetherin to rid the bugs. Plus you can continue use of borax, de, and essential oils if you choose with no harmful effects. Good luck!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I too was recently diagnosed with scabies. After the shock wore off, all I did was question how I could've contracted this nasty parasite. I have not been sexually active for several years. I had been experiencing symptoms for about six weeks and finally went to my dermatologist. He prescribed oral medication which I have to repeat in one week. I truly pray that does the trick. I've never felt so disgusted in all my life. After washing everything I could in hot water, I used my shark steam mop with the attachments to do my bed and furniture.

Comment from: Marianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had scabies for 9 months. I have used Permethrin and Eurax as well as Ivermectin. I am not a dirty person, in fact, I have OCD with cleanliness. I have shampooed and steamed all furniture and flooring (carpet, wood, and tile) at least 30 times. I have not slept in my bed for all this time limiting contact with all but a leather couch which is disinfected daily. I still have them although none of the rest of the family has been infected. I believe I contracted them from a hotel room. What else can I do. My doctor thinks I am not cleaning enough. I take two showers a day, one with an exfoliate.

Comment from: Samiiee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Even though my rash looks nothing like scabies according to two different doctors, they are treating me as if it is. I don't feel any crawling. Just itchy and really sore. It's not on my stomach, back, head, ears or even my face. The rash is just on my elbows, bottom and vaginal area with a bit of spotting almost chicken pox look a like on the parts of my arms, legs and feet. The doctors have told me it's a rare case not to have it all over. Let's hope these pills and cream help soon

Comment from: jar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with scabies a couple of weeks ago. I believe I had it a long time. I have a rash on my scalp, finger, toe, calve, elbows, under my arm, and around my waste. It is extremely itchy. I have done the lotion four times and still have intense itching on my scalp and under my arm. My scalp is the worst!

Comment from: kris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 34 years old and I just found out that I have scabies. I had no clue that I had them. I just started working over at Stahile's Laundry. About two weeks later they started to show up on me and I thought it was bugs bites. It was getting so bad and very itchy. The skin doctor has me on the creams that treat it but it makes it worse. I am scratching it right off and it sucks I can't work at all.

Comment from: Goddiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was just diagnosed yesterday with scabies. It's random painful needle-like pain. The itching for me got 5 times worse when applying the cream to get rid of the mites. I have more rashes. I want to rip my skin off my bones. Last night the itching and pain was so intense I didn't sleep a wink. My skin is very dry and cracked now because of the treatments. Oh, and don't look under the microscope at the mite, it's nasty!

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?