Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: Worried mommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My four year old was diagnosed with scabies about four months ago. We took her to the emergency room four times with the same symptoms: itching red bumps started on her hands and feet but eventually covered her entire body. She constantly itched and scratched. Finally we took her to a dermatologist who diagnosed the rash as scabies. It took two treatments a week apart of permethrin cream to cure her. I cleaned every blanket pillow and article of clothing in our entire house with Lysol and hot water. She is now free of scabies but has scars from the scratching.

Comment from: Morgan, Published: June 30

I've had scabies numerous times, though no one else in my house (three adults and two small children) have ever gotten it through me. First got it from spending the night with a friend, then at work (I am a nursery worker, so lots of close contact with kids). I have recently gotten it AGAIN and have treated myself three times in the last two weeks. Still have bumps. Hopefully it's just because the treatment is hard on your skin. I washed all my bedding, vacuumed the matress and floor, wiped down all surfaces in house with clorox wipes, washed towels and rugs, even heat-treated shoes in the dryer, and still have new bumps. Planning on treating again in a few days if bumps keep showing up. These darn bugs are relentless. The worst part is fearing that you have infected someone else, especially when you work with small children. I feel so gross!

Comment from: Onegina, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I used Sulfur ointment for about 3 weeks and it did cure the bug. Most likely, I caught it on the train, and boy, I suffered for about 2 months until I diagnosed myself with it (I'm not a doctor, I was a Biology student at that time) while reading a textbook on skin diseases. I actually found a mite at the end of the burrow! It's grayish-green and really small, I extracted it and looked at it under a microscope. My next step was to get the ointment - it's OTC in Russia, so I skipped the doctor visit.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Hi, I had scabies for around three months, caught it from my mum. You need to use the Lyclear cream on your head as well as body, in your hair (glad wrap your head) but not around your eyes, place in back neck and around ears. If they are biting around your eyes get the doctor to give you an antibiotic eye cream that has a low dose of borax and smear your eyes with the cream all at the same time. As for application times, do it once then three days later than a week later (to make sure you get all the life cycle). Change all bedding and clothing. I ended up leaving my home and staying elsewhere (with application cream all over me so didn't infect the new place), I bought all new bathroom stuff and new towels and cheap clothing for five days in new place. Also placed my entire clothing bedding etc in bags and left them for two weeks to make sure all bugs dead. It's a pain but it worked. The scabies bugs tend to run to your head to hide from body applications hence the reoccurrences!! Does not use the same pillow...even wrap them in plastic to sleep on them.

Comment from: Biancia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am sixteen when I first got scabies I was 15. It was around Christmas time last year it didn't start out very bad but then that changed. I got rashes. I had it everywhere we didn't know what was wrong but we went to the doctors ten times and saw 10 doctors until finally we saw the right one they told us that it was scabies and gave us this stuff to use and I had to leave it on for 48 hours without showing. I didn't like that part but then I got it back again they weren't even gone for that long. It was very embarrassing going to school of course I didn't know that I wasn't meant to and having it has made me lose so much sleep for a while we were wondering where it was from and how I got it and then we went back to the doctors a couple months ago and they told us it's from old mattresses and that you can get it just from sleeping in one for just one night but now this time I have it again and it has spread more than the first time and I so sore and tired my throat is hurting. I even got sent home the day I got it back because I was sick. I hope we find a way to get rid of it once and for all!! haha good luck everyone.

Comment from: cuddybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I think I got scabies while I was receiving blood transfusion, I was bed ridden for 7 days without a bath or change of sheets, I don't know if this is where I contacted it or not. It started out with a few itching and got worse, after about a month I was itching so bad I thought I was going to tear my skin off so I went to the ER where they diagnosed scabies. I received a shot of benedryl for the itches and permethrin which I applied from the neck down, this is the first day I have used it, it helped a lot, I still have itches but not as bad, maybe I will be able to sleep tonight.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?