Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: tvkb0507, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I stayed at a hotel for four days and upon me arriving home the very next day I started to see red spots on my arm. By day two I was covered all over my belly, under and side of boobs and on my lower back. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with what I thought was bed bug bites it was actually scabies. The doctor said whoever stayed before me may have had them. I have no had close contact with anyone but my kids and they do not have it. I was prescribed permythrin and used it yesterday. Now it's the night after and I'm covered a whole lot worse. The Walgreens lady told me it's probably because the little demons are dying off. I'm so itchy I want to rip my skin off. I have used the dryer to help with the itching. I read a great thing to use is "Sulfur Soap" I read it not only kills them but also helps heal your rash/bumps/scars a lot quicker. I will be going to store and getting me some cause I cannot tolerate this itching any longer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I too was recently diagnosed with scabies. After the shock wore off, all I did was question how I could've contracted this nasty parasite. I have not been sexually active for several years. I had been experiencing symptoms for about six weeks and finally went to my dermatologist. He prescribed oral medication which I have to repeat in one week. I truly pray that does the trick. I've never felt so disgusted in all my life. After washing everything I could in hot water, I used my shark steam mop with the attachments to do my bed and furniture.

Comment from: Marianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had scabies for 9 months. I have used Permethrin and Eurax as well as Ivermectin. I am not a dirty person, in fact, I have OCD with cleanliness. I have shampooed and steamed all furniture and flooring (carpet, wood, and tile) at least 30 times. I have not slept in my bed for all this time limiting contact with all but a leather couch which is disinfected daily. I still have them although none of the rest of the family has been infected. I believe I contracted them from a hotel room. What else can I do. My doctor thinks I am not cleaning enough. I take two showers a day, one with an exfoliate.

Comment from: Samiiee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Even though my rash looks nothing like scabies according to two different doctors, they are treating me as if it is. I don't feel any crawling. Just itchy and really sore. It's not on my stomach, back, head, ears or even my face. The rash is just on my elbows, bottom and vaginal area with a bit of spotting almost chicken pox look a like on the parts of my arms, legs and feet. The doctors have told me it's a rare case not to have it all over. Let's hope these pills and cream help soon

Comment from: jar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with scabies a couple of weeks ago. I believe I had it a long time. I have a rash on my scalp, finger, toe, calve, elbows, under my arm, and around my waste. It is extremely itchy. I have done the lotion four times and still have intense itching on my scalp and under my arm. My scalp is the worst!

Comment from: kris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 34 years old and I just found out that I have scabies. I had no clue that I had them. I just started working over at Stahile's Laundry. About two weeks later they started to show up on me and I thought it was bugs bites. It was getting so bad and very itchy. The skin doctor has me on the creams that treat it but it makes it worse. I am scratching it right off and it sucks I can't work at all.

Comment from: Goddiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was just diagnosed yesterday with scabies. It's random painful needle-like pain. The itching for me got 5 times worse when applying the cream to get rid of the mites. I have more rashes. I want to rip my skin off my bones. Last night the itching and pain was so intense I didn't sleep a wink. My skin is very dry and cracked now because of the treatments. Oh, and don't look under the microscope at the mite, it's nasty!

Comment from: Sandpiper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I, too, don't know how I got these critters called scabies. I tried all the creams suggested by my doctor. They really didn't help. I'm covered all over my chest, back, arms, and my neck. I have some on my stomach, butt, private area, and legs. I've gone through many tubes of itch cream also. Finally my doctor gave me a prescription for Stromectol. I take two pills on an empty stomach and take two more pills in two weeks. I am also taking Zyrtec 10 mg one time a day and I put Sarna Medicated Lotion all over me two times a day. I have just started this and I'm hoping it helps. So far, today, it's not too bad, but it's always at night when these mites do their traveling. I've also washed my bedding in hot water. Hope we all have luck getting rid of them. You may want to ask your doctor about Stromectol. Good Luck.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?