Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: WestieLover65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I did one treatment of Premtherin 2 days in a row as the pharmacy directions were no clear. I went to see my doctor 1 week post treatment, she said I looked good, felt bad that pharmacy directions were not clearer. Dr. stated that the Premtherin really dried out my skin, most affected area is my collar bones, and up both sides of my neck. I went out and bought Aveeno lotion and liquid "soap" for extremely dry skin. However, I still have raised dry bumps in those areas that still itch. Should I retreat with the Premtherin? I like many others have been really affected mentally with this. I have no idea where they came from, husband has not been affected at all, I clean, vacuum, wash everything, bedding every day, all clothing and even my coat.

Comment from: Mimi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had scabies for almost four months. It started out in between my toes. Then they just continued to spread over a period of time. I started to try Aveeno on it thinking that it was eczema. The doctor kept saying it was an allergic reaction, so she prescribed me many creams that did not work. They finally scheduled me for an appointment with a dermatologist, which is when -- within 25 minutes of being there – I found out I had scabies. I have been prescribed medicine, and I hope this will finally rid me of the little crusaders.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I first notice a rash on my arm. Thought nothing of it went out bought hydrocortisone cream didn't work also used hibiclens to wash thinking maybe it was something I had touched or an allergic reaction. No one else in the house (husband or kids) had the rash. After a week and a half I went to the doctor (about this time the rash had spread to my legs and now both arms). I told the dr I had the rash over a week and it itches like crazy he looked and told me my sweat glands we clogged prescribed some anti-itch oral medicine which I never filled. Waited about another week and half went to a different dr he took one look and asked if it itches more at night I told him that's when it is the worst. I felt like digging my skin off the itch was uncontrollable. That's when he told me it was scabies. I still have no idea how I contacted it. I work at a dental office with children the doctor said I must have gotten from there. I was just glad my children didn't catch it.

Comment from: honesty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I think Doctors don't really want to clear it up immediately. It brings money in for them. My doctor tried to give only one tube knowing it is impossible to rid of the parasite very first time due to still needing to wash clothing and bedding that re-infest you while touching these items. It also amuses me how some people say their doctor didn't know what it was after several visits at first. I think it's a money making scheme that's all, for the Doctors and the pharmaceuticals.

Comment from: tvkb0507, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I stayed at a hotel for four days and upon me arriving home the very next day I started to see red spots on my arm. By day two I was covered all over my belly, under and side of boobs and on my lower back. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with what I thought was bed bug bites it was actually scabies. The doctor said whoever stayed before me may have had them. I have no had close contact with anyone but my kids and they do not have it. I was prescribed permythrin and used it yesterday. Now it's the night after and I'm covered a whole lot worse. The Walgreens lady told me it's probably because the little demons are dying off. I'm so itchy I want to rip my skin off. I have used the dryer to help with the itching. I read a great thing to use is "Sulfur Soap" I read it not only kills them but also helps heal your rash/bumps/scars a lot quicker. I will be going to store and getting me some cause I cannot tolerate this itching any longer.

Comment from: Fruitypebbles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Severe itching under my breast, itching on my hands, burning rashes that appeared for no reason & my body was very hot in isolated. Three in a row bites (which are consistent with bed bugs so I delayed treatment and sprayed 91% alcohol. It felt like dust mites. i saw alot of what appeared to be dust particles around clothing that caused me severe itching! Appetite has also been suppressed as a result of mites. It also noticed that mites like to lay eggs on a crevices of your flesh. I am fair skinned bi-racial african American with facial freckles the bumps on my body is light brown & it egg nest on my back looks like a ringworm more so in a circle with tiny bumps inside (not in a ring)

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?