Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: cvarrone, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Hi my son is 10 months old and he has severe eczema and I noticed a couple of days ago he started to break out in little red pimples and I thought it was a flare up with his eczema. I took him to the hospital and they told me he has infantile scabies they gave me meds for him. A steroid, an antibiotic, and they told me to use Nix which treats head lice they told me to rub it on his fore head and his arms and wash it off in the morning. I followed up with her pedi and they gave me more meds. I called a nurse today at his doctor's and she told me it doesn't sound like it's scabies because they don't go higher than the neck. Someone please help my little guy.

Comment from: AR27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been itching for about 6 months now it is horrible I went to see a doctor and he said it might be an allergic reaction. I have scabs all over my legs and feet from scratching so much and tons of scars. I don't know how to get rid of this so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Comment from: Jackie B, 65-74 Female Published: February 08

My husband and I went to Florida to visit a friend and some family for a 10 day period and stayed at a motel nearby. on the 10th day I started to get very itchy and even on the plane it was bad, however 2 days after my return I visited a doctor and stated it may be an allergic reaction to food, the doctor said it was scabies and prescribed Permethrin 5% after a shower with mild soap together with some Hydroxyzine 25 mg 3 times a day, I am still very itchy especially on both feet above the ankle. After reading some of the submissions I am a bit scared as my immune system is shot to hell from other illnesses.

Comment from: Eric617, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I went to see the doctor many times.Even he misdiagnosed my condition. I have spent almost a year-and-a-half dealing with this painful itching. I have also spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on anti-histamines and other medications. I took time off work for doctor's appointments and sometime because I got no sleep at night scratching my skin off. It's amazing that when you tell a doctor, "I have intense itching" he/she doesn't immediately thinks of this condition. Thankfully, my new roommate is also a doctor and immediately recognized the signs and prescribed treatment. I have been slathering on the Premethrin and have taken Ivermectin and Stromectol yet I seem to have been re-infested several weeks later. Yes, I washed EVERYTHING I have to prevent re-infestation. After reading many of these posts, my sense is the mites and/or their eggs do indeed live on longer than 36 hours. My guess is deep in my bed and/or in my coats (leather and otherwise) since the itching and burrows have re-appeared on my arms. In 3 weeks, I did 2 applications of the Premethrin cream and 2 separate doses of the oral medications. Now I am starting a third rounds of medication (both oral and topical) and am re-washing all my bedding including my mattress pad. I will also treat my leather chair and leather coats and wash all others. Wish me luck.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had a rash on my body and been seeing my skin doctor and then he referred me over to a specialist for an allergy. I have had this for 3 months and my boyfriend has it also and it took a specialist to tell me he thought it might be scabies after I brought it up to him. My skin doctor had me on prednisone and 2 other antihistamines which were settling it down. I am now on Permethrin cream and it seems to be helping. It only has been a few days so far. It seems like this is very hard to diagnose.

Comment from: itch free, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was told I had scabies and after treatment with perethiam no luck. It has formaldehyde in it and I am highly allergic to that so it made it worse. Go see a good dermatologist! I did not have scabies! Insist on a skin punch test of sore where they surgically take a sore out! I have an allergy to nuts in any type or form even though I have eaten peanut butter every day for years. After just 48 hours I am itch free. I had been dealing with this for 4 months. It only took 1 visit to her and life is getting back to normal! See a good dermatologist!

Comment from: mimi, 75 or over Female Published: November 07

IContacted scabies 2 years ago. I never did figure out where they came from. I tried home remedies and went through 6 tubes of permethrin cream and after 6 months my doctor prescribed Ivermectin. This killed the mites but I am still itching where the mites were under my skin. I can scratch off the skin in the affected area and magnify it with a 10x magnifier and there are little black and brown specks that are apparently dead mites and excrement left in my skin. I will think the itching is better and if I get in my hot tub, the areas where I originally had the scabies will break out in a rash and itch like crazy. There are no new areas but just where they were before. I have no idea why the hot tub would cause this reaction except for the high water temperature or the vibration from the jets. This is the most miserable thing that I have ever had in my life. I am too embarrassed to tell anyone and have been afraid I would give them to someone else. I am still getting in the hot tub and it seems that the areas affected with the reoccurring rash are getting fewer. Maybe I will eventually get it all out of my skin. I apparently have a severe allergic reaction to the debris left in my skin.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?