Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: itch free, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was told I had scabies and after treatment with perethiam no luck. It has formaldehyde in it and I am highly allergic to that so it made it worse. Go see a good dermatologist! I did not have scabies! Insist on a skin punch test of sore where they surgically take a sore out! I have an allergy to nuts in any type or form even though I have eaten peanut butter every day for years. After just 48 hours I am itch free. I had been dealing with this for 4 months. It only took 1 visit to her and life is getting back to normal! See a good dermatologist!

Comment from: mimi, 75 or over Female Published: November 07

IContacted scabies 2 years ago. I never did figure out where they came from. I tried home remedies and went through 6 tubes of permethrin cream and after 6 months my doctor prescribed Ivermectin. This killed the mites but I am still itching where the mites were under my skin. I can scratch off the skin in the affected area and magnify it with a 10x magnifier and there are little black and brown specks that are apparently dead mites and excrement left in my skin. I will think the itching is better and if I get in my hot tub, the areas where I originally had the scabies will break out in a rash and itch like crazy. There are no new areas but just where they were before. I have no idea why the hot tub would cause this reaction except for the high water temperature or the vibration from the jets. This is the most miserable thing that I have ever had in my life. I am too embarrassed to tell anyone and have been afraid I would give them to someone else. I am still getting in the hot tub and it seems that the areas affected with the reoccurring rash are getting fewer. Maybe I will eventually get it all out of my skin. I apparently have a severe allergic reaction to the debris left in my skin.

Comment from: WestieLover65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I did one treatment of Premtherin 2 days in a row as the pharmacy directions were no clear. I went to see my doctor 1 week post treatment, she said I looked good, felt bad that pharmacy directions were not clearer. Dr. stated that the Premtherin really dried out my skin, most affected area is my collar bones, and up both sides of my neck. I went out and bought Aveeno lotion and liquid "soap" for extremely dry skin. However, I still have raised dry bumps in those areas that still itch. Should I retreat with the Premtherin? I like many others have been really affected mentally with this. I have no idea where they came from, husband has not been affected at all, I clean, vacuum, wash everything, bedding every day, all clothing and even my coat.

Comment from: Mimi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had scabies for almost four months. It started out in between my toes. Then they just continued to spread over a period of time. I started to try Aveeno on it thinking that it was eczema. The doctor kept saying it was an allergic reaction, so she prescribed me many creams that did not work. They finally scheduled me for an appointment with a dermatologist, which is when -- within 25 minutes of being there – I found out I had scabies. I have been prescribed medicine, and I hope this will finally rid me of the little crusaders.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I first notice a rash on my arm. Thought nothing of it went out bought hydrocortisone cream didn't work also used hibiclens to wash thinking maybe it was something I had touched or an allergic reaction. No one else in the house (husband or kids) had the rash. After a week and a half I went to the doctor (about this time the rash had spread to my legs and now both arms). I told the dr I had the rash over a week and it itches like crazy he looked and told me my sweat glands we clogged prescribed some anti-itch oral medicine which I never filled. Waited about another week and half went to a different dr he took one look and asked if it itches more at night I told him that's when it is the worst. I felt like digging my skin off the itch was uncontrollable. That's when he told me it was scabies. I still have no idea how I contacted it. I work at a dental office with children the doctor said I must have gotten from there. I was just glad my children didn't catch it.

Comment from: honesty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I think Doctors don't really want to clear it up immediately. It brings money in for them. My doctor tried to give only one tube knowing it is impossible to rid of the parasite very first time due to still needing to wash clothing and bedding that re-infest you while touching these items. It also amuses me how some people say their doctor didn't know what it was after several visits at first. I think it's a money making scheme that's all, for the Doctors and the pharmaceuticals.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?