Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: What's in common, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been infected with scabies for about three months. At first we thought they were bed bugs and I had professionals out to treat our home. I still got bites in the middle of the night and woke up in pain. I've experienced terrible anxiety and it's been like fighting a war. I know how all of you feel. My husband has not been infected, but we moved him into the guest bedroom and he's been there since. Show your doctor the spots or take pictures of the really bad spots. Wash your clothes and bedding every day in sulfur—you can find it at a drug store. Wash your hair and treat it if you need to. I'd like to know how we got these “monsters” in the first place? I had 80 bites on one leg. I have a dog and am around horses, livestock and hay in a barn every day.

Comment from: Mitey Nutty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

At first I noticed a severe itching on my ring finger, along w/ white bumps all down the side of it. (This was 2-3 weeks after contact w/ person who infected me). Then, gradually, I noticed itching beyond normal. I thought nothing of it. Then 6-8 weeks after contact, all my symptoms came on. Severe itching. Then a rash, then I noticed the "tracks" last. Some were red, 1/2 inch long, sometimes with 2-3 lines directly above them. Some tracks/burrows were white bumpy and approximately 1/2 - an inch long. Also were thin white lines. Very thin, about 1/2 inch long. The tracks came last and that's when I figured out what I had & it's been hell sense. It takes trial and error, but they can be eradicated.

Comment from: Kayli3254, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I'm 17 years old and had probably been itching for 3 months straight not knowing it was scabies. I had been to 3 different doctors and they all had different reasons, eczema allergies or just a simple body rash. My entire body was infected after several weeks and as you can imagine took forever to get into the dermatologist. I was shocked how quickly the doctor was to say scabies after she saw just one bump and how all three of the other doctors were oblivious the condition even after I pointed scabies out to them. She prescribed me with permethrin cream 5 % and hydroxyzine 25mg Safe to say with any skin condition I would go straight to a dermatologist.

Comment from: cvarrone, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Hi my son is 10 months old and he has severe eczema and I noticed a couple of days ago he started to break out in little red pimples and I thought it was a flare up with his eczema. I took him to the hospital and they told me he has infantile scabies they gave me meds for him. A steroid, an antibiotic, and they told me to use Nix which treats head lice they told me to rub it on his fore head and his arms and wash it off in the morning. I followed up with her pedi and they gave me more meds. I called a nurse today at his doctor's and she told me it doesn't sound like it's scabies because they don't go higher than the neck. Someone please help my little guy.

Comment from: AR27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been itching for about 6 months now it is horrible I went to see a doctor and he said it might be an allergic reaction. I have scabs all over my legs and feet from scratching so much and tons of scars. I don't know how to get rid of this so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Comment from: Jackie B, 65-74 Female Published: February 08

My husband and I went to Florida to visit a friend and some family for a 10 day period and stayed at a motel nearby. on the 10th day I started to get very itchy and even on the plane it was bad, however 2 days after my return I visited a doctor and stated it may be an allergic reaction to food, the doctor said it was scabies and prescribed Permethrin 5% after a shower with mild soap together with some Hydroxyzine 25 mg 3 times a day, I am still very itchy especially on both feet above the ankle. After reading some of the submissions I am a bit scared as my immune system is shot to hell from other illnesses.

Comment from: Eric617, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I went to see the doctor many times.Even he misdiagnosed my condition. I have spent almost a year-and-a-half dealing with this painful itching. I have also spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on anti-histamines and other medications. I took time off work for doctor's appointments and sometime because I got no sleep at night scratching my skin off. It's amazing that when you tell a doctor, "I have intense itching" he/she doesn't immediately thinks of this condition. Thankfully, my new roommate is also a doctor and immediately recognized the signs and prescribed treatment. I have been slathering on the Premethrin and have taken Ivermectin and Stromectol yet I seem to have been re-infested several weeks later. Yes, I washed EVERYTHING I have to prevent re-infestation. After reading many of these posts, my sense is the mites and/or their eggs do indeed live on longer than 36 hours. My guess is deep in my bed and/or in my coats (leather and otherwise) since the itching and burrows have re-appeared on my arms. In 3 weeks, I did 2 applications of the Premethrin cream and 2 separate doses of the oral medications. Now I am starting a third rounds of medication (both oral and topical) and am re-washing all my bedding including my mattress pad. I will also treat my leather chair and leather coats and wash all others. Wish me luck.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?