Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: Jerryweb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

After 1 year and 4 months of mites living under my skin, I have exhausted all treatments. I said mites and not scabies because I believe that mites other than scabies are beginning to infest people. I moved to an agricultural area and contracted a severe parasitic infestation of skin mites. Permethrin did not cure them, benzyl benzoate did not cure them. Ivermectin did not cure them. I am currently on several oral medications albendazole, praziquantel, ivermectin, and for a skin topical application, 7 percent benzyl alcohol mixed in a mineral oil base lotion. The old rules for mites are gone, these mites infest where ever they want, anywhere on the body. The anti-parasite medications work well, but they did not kill all the mites. I still have mites on my face and groin. Benzyl alcohol seems to be doing a good job, but there is much pain when the mites are active. It is like they go crazy in the skin because benzyl alcohol works by suffocation.

Comment from: exhausted, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been dealing with scabies for almost 2 months now. When I first went to the doctor they told me I had gotten poison ivy. Then I went back because I wasn't getting better and then the doctor realized it was scabies. I had it on my hands in between my fingers, on my stomach, under my armpit, and on my thighs near my vagina. I got the permethrin cream 5 percent and I used the whole tube. My mom also made a spray of tea tree oil and the scabies on my hands had disappeared and were gone but that took a month. Then I noticed the area in my privates was still bad and had welts so I went back to the doctor again and got cream. She suggested that I clean everything; I have cleaned my sheets, bought new sheets and cleaned clothes, and I am hoping it goes away. It has brought me down and made me depressed, wondering when it will go away.

Comment from: Itchintx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

However unconventional, this worked for me for scabies. I had several bites that were not concentrated in one particular area (a few here, a few there). As soon as I saw one, I'd pop the pustule and swab it with alcohol. Then smother it in toothpaste and cover with a Band-Aid. The toothpaste stung a bit. Doing this helped relieve itching and smothered the mite. I kept this up while treating and haven't had any additional issues.

Comment from: watersmelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

A friend's big dog jumped on me and dug a big hole in my arm. After healing it I noted a lump in the area of the injury and thought it was possibly a fungus caused by the injury. A couple of weeks later my arm was covered in red itchy bumps. I practice holistic medicines when I can and after another week I decided I needed to see a doctor. He didn't know what it was either, prescribed an ointment for scabies. I used it for a day and after reading about someone using witch hazel, decided to try that method. Lo and behold, all the little black dots on the cotton pad was encouraging that they were being removed from my arm. Now I'm back to therapeutic essential oils treating the wounds from these little critters. Witch hazel and therapeutic essential oils are the way to go.

Comment from: angel, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

I have been told I have caught scabies from my care home that I work. I have been given Lyclear cream and fexofenadine hydrochloride tablets to stop this itching. It is keeping me awake at night.

Comment from: aniee, Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I've have had scabies for at least 2 weeks and 5 days. The itch is horrible. But I went to a doctor and I have been prescribed with the cream permethrin lotion. Sadly, it hasn't worked for me as effectively as I would like it to. But I will try my best to use the alcohol, vinegar and salt. I'm starting to feel it in my scalp! This is horrible! But I really do have faith it will be cured! Not all hope is lost! Keep on fighting guys! It will pass!

Comment from: Bijouxsha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I contracted scabies at the gym. I noticed a man with weird spots all over his legs and we were using the same machines. About four weeks later, I had a pimple-like spot on my forearm. I thought it was a pimple and squeezed it. It created a huge crater and only pus (or so I thought) came out. Then I began to get areas of irritation all over my body. The worst area was in my armpit – the itching at night was horrible. After two weeks, I figured out it was scabies. Here is how I got rid of them: Permethrin 5% cream. Change sheets daily. If I sat on furniture, I sat on a sheet and then washed it. I also got some tea tree oil and mixed 1 part tea tree oil with 4 parts vitamin E oil and coated myself in it every night for the past few weeks. I slept in full clothing, including socks on my hands. I also put tea tree oil in my hair, just to be sure. My husband and I reinfected each other several times, but eventually we got rid of them. I itched for another month afterwards, but stopped getting the red bumpy areas within a few days. This was the worst month of my life, and I spent nearly $300 between the doctor, water bills, bandages, and creams, etc.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?