Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: luv2sre, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had scabies that I acquired from my mother in the nursing home. I did several rounds of premetherin cream but was nearly having a mental breakdown. A fella at the local health foods store gave me what I believe was the solution. We washed all of our laundry with Borax, used dimethicus earth (food grade) and sprinkled that on our carpets, bedding, mattress and pets and left it to sit a few days before vaccumming. We also used neem soap with each bathing followed by neem lotion and I would also put tea tree oil on the itchy areas. Wash your hair with rubbing alcohol if you feel itching and crawling on your scalp. We did this regimine for a few weeks and the dermatologist told me that surely I had eradicated them all with as much pesticide I had put on my body. He told me the itching would continue a while due to allergic reaction and putting so much stuff on my skin. He advised me to stop the premetherin treatments and give myself a few weeks for my skin to calm down and I should be free of scabies. I did continue the neem soap as it is soothing to the skin and voila! I was free! You can also spray peppermint or orange oil mixture ( I cannot remember the dosage) and spray your automobile and soft surfaces with this as well. We spent a small fortune but it was money well spent. I really feel the neem, DE, tea tree oil and alocohol and borax helped more than the premetherin to rid the bugs. Plus you can continue use of borax, de, and essential oils if you choose with no harmful effects. Good luck!

Comment from: cvarrone, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Hi my son is 10 months old and he has severe eczema and I noticed a couple of days ago he started to break out in little red pimples and I thought it was a flare up with his eczema. I took him to the hospital and they told me he has infantile scabies they gave me meds for him. A steroid, an antibiotic, and they told me to use Nix which treats head lice they told me to rub it on his fore head and his arms and wash it off in the morning. I followed up with her pedi and they gave me more meds. I called a nurse today at his doctor's and she told me it doesn't sound like it's scabies because they don't go higher than the neck. Someone please help my little guy.

Comment from: AR27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been itching for about 6 months now it is horrible I went to see a doctor and he said it might be an allergic reaction. I have scabs all over my legs and feet from scratching so much and tons of scars. I don't know how to get rid of this so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Comment from: Jackie B, 65-74 Female Published: February 08

My husband and I went to Florida to visit a friend and some family for a 10 day period and stayed at a motel nearby. on the 10th day I started to get very itchy and even on the plane it was bad, however 2 days after my return I visited a doctor and stated it may be an allergic reaction to food, the doctor said it was scabies and prescribed Permethrin 5% after a shower with mild soap together with some Hydroxyzine 25 mg 3 times a day, I am still very itchy especially on both feet above the ankle. After reading some of the submissions I am a bit scared as my immune system is shot to hell from other illnesses.

Comment from: Eric617, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I went to see the doctor many times.Even he misdiagnosed my condition. I have spent almost a year-and-a-half dealing with this painful itching. I have also spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on anti-histamines and other medications. I took time off work for doctor's appointments and sometime because I got no sleep at night scratching my skin off. It's amazing that when you tell a doctor, "I have intense itching" he/she doesn't immediately thinks of this condition. Thankfully, my new roommate is also a doctor and immediately recognized the signs and prescribed treatment. I have been slathering on the Premethrin and have taken Ivermectin and Stromectol yet I seem to have been re-infested several weeks later. Yes, I washed EVERYTHING I have to prevent re-infestation. After reading many of these posts, my sense is the mites and/or their eggs do indeed live on longer than 36 hours. My guess is deep in my bed and/or in my coats (leather and otherwise) since the itching and burrows have re-appeared on my arms. In 3 weeks, I did 2 applications of the Premethrin cream and 2 separate doses of the oral medications. Now I am starting a third rounds of medication (both oral and topical) and am re-washing all my bedding including my mattress pad. I will also treat my leather chair and leather coats and wash all others. Wish me luck.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had a rash on my body and been seeing my skin doctor and then he referred me over to a specialist for an allergy. I have had this for 3 months and my boyfriend has it also and it took a specialist to tell me he thought it might be scabies after I brought it up to him. My skin doctor had me on prednisone and 2 other antihistamines which were settling it down. I am now on Permethrin cream and it seems to be helping. It only has been a few days so far. It seems like this is very hard to diagnose.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?