Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?

Comment from: Jerryweb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

After 1 year and 4 months of mites living under my skin, I have exhausted all treatments. I said mites and not scabies because I believe that mites other than scabies are beginning to infest people. I moved to an agricultural area and contracted a severe parasitic infestation of skin mites. Permethrin did not cure them, benzyl benzoate did not cure them. Ivermectin did not cure them. I am currently on several oral medications albendazole, praziquantel, ivermectin, and for a skin topical application, 7 percent benzyl alcohol mixed in a mineral oil base lotion. The old rules for mites are gone, these mites infest where ever they want, anywhere on the body. The anti-parasite medications work well, but they did not kill all the mites. I still have mites on my face and groin. Benzyl alcohol seems to be doing a good job, but there is much pain when the mites are active. It is like they go crazy in the skin because benzyl alcohol works by suffocation.

Comment from: angel, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

I have been told I have caught scabies from my care home that I work. I have been given Lyclear cream and fexofenadine hydrochloride tablets to stop this itching. It is keeping me awake at night.

Comment from: aniee, Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I've have had scabies for at least 2 weeks and 5 days. The itch is horrible. But I went to a doctor and I have been prescribed with the cream permethrin lotion. Sadly, it hasn't worked for me as effectively as I would like it to. But I will try my best to use the alcohol, vinegar and salt. I'm starting to feel it in my scalp! This is horrible! But I really do have faith it will be cured! Not all hope is lost! Keep on fighting guys! It will pass!

Comment from: Bijouxsha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I contracted scabies at the gym. I noticed a man with weird spots all over his legs and we were using the same machines. About four weeks later, I had a pimple-like spot on my forearm. I thought it was a pimple and squeezed it. It created a huge crater and only pus (or so I thought) came out. Then I began to get areas of irritation all over my body. The worst area was in my armpit – the itching at night was horrible. After two weeks, I figured out it was scabies. Here is how I got rid of them: Permethrin 5% cream. Change sheets daily. If I sat on furniture, I sat on a sheet and then washed it. I also got some tea tree oil and mixed 1 part tea tree oil with 4 parts vitamin E oil and coated myself in it every night for the past few weeks. I slept in full clothing, including socks on my hands. I also put tea tree oil in my hair, just to be sure. My husband and I reinfected each other several times, but eventually we got rid of them. I itched for another month afterwards, but stopped getting the red bumpy areas within a few days. This was the worst month of my life, and I spent nearly $300 between the doctor, water bills, bandages, and creams, etc.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I don't know where I got scabies. I have a friend who had lice and I sat in his car for a little while. I got red bites on one leg and used some old medication for lice that I kept when my husband had it while he was homeless 10 years ago. It went away and I was fine, until I put the same pants back on that I wore when I was in my friend's car. Of course, the pants were washed and dried, and were clean – or so I thought. Then I got bites on my shoulders and back. That was two months ago, and I have been using permethrin 5%. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I hope she gives me a pill for it. It's horrible to have this. I never had this when I was homeless as a teen. I am clean, shower daily, and I still have this. I will try the Lysol treatment. I have seen there is a natural treatment for it, but it is about $80. I'm thinking of ordering it if this doesn't go away. I do have three cats but I read that it couldn't be from them. I'd like to get rid of these soon.

Comment from: What's in common, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been infected with scabies for about three months. At first we thought they were bed bugs and I had professionals out to treat our home. I still got bites in the middle of the night and woke up in pain. I've experienced terrible anxiety and it's been like fighting a war. I know how all of you feel. My husband has not been infected, but we moved him into the guest bedroom and he's been there since. Show your doctor the spots or take pictures of the really bad spots. Wash your clothes and bedding every day in sulfur—you can find it at a drug store. Wash your hair and treat it if you need to. I'd like to know how we got these “monsters” in the first place? I had 80 bites on one leg. I have a dog and am around horses, livestock and hay in a barn every day.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?