Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently discovered little bumps on the top of my hands that itched pretty badly. They then started to appear on the top of my feet and worked their way up my arms and legs. I went to the emergency room (just moved and don't have a doctor) and she told me she thinks I have scabies. She prescribed me permethrin 5 percent like the rest of you. But I read here that vinegar and salt help. People, vinegar and salt do help! I got in the bath with no water in the tub and poured vinegar on my feet hands arms and legs. Then I took sea salt and rubbed it in with the vinegar until a white, almost foam, started to appear on my skin (mind you it burned very bad but only for a moment). After I let it sit on my bites and skin I turned the bath on and filled the tub up about a quarter full and stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes. Then after I felt that the vinegar had done its job I took a scalding hot shower (as hot as you can stand). When I got out I dried my body with a brand new towel from the dryer and then I put the permethrin 5 percent cream on my body from head to toe, behind my ears even; everywhere. I washed my sheets and put on clean clothes from straight out of the dryer and went to sleep. I woke up, showered off the cream and bam! The bumps on my hands are gone and the ones on my legs and feet are vanishing slowly. It will still take time for my scabs from itching to heal but I can tell that it definitely worked. I would highly suggest the vinegar. After work I am going to go home and do one more vinegar bath and wash my sheets one more time. I am really hoping this helps someone! I know how horrible these creatures are.

Comment from: pheonix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have suffered from scabies for 6 months. I just tried the treatment of alcohol, salt, and vinegar. It was the best!! I soaked a handkerchief in it and wrapped it around my arm for 5 minutes. My bumps were almost gone! Now I soaked my socks in it and am wearing them. It is amazing.

Comment from: Mr. Scabie Mite, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Ivermectin and a hair dryer cured my scabies after one full year! I tried everything else; cleaned house and cars from top to bottom, dusted everything with DE (diatomaceous earth), sealed unused clothes in plastic bags, high heat washer and dryer, permethrin cream several weeks in a row, hat sauce, hydrogen peroxide; you name it! I spent thousands on permethrin cream and ivermectin pills. Nothing worked! I took horse paste Ivermectin in a ratio with my body weight, bought industrial permethrin and mixed with water for spray on specific areas, and used a number 1875 hair dryer on areas that itched for as long as I could bear the pain instead of scratching! Finally, after one full year of agony these things are dead! I would not wish them on my worst enemy! I am out of work and depressed over the torment the tenacious little creatures put me through! All the money on earth is not worth losing your health. I hope this works for you. Peace be with you.

Comment from: rongalap, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I finally got rid of those little creatures. I tried several ointments and baths with borax and hydrogen peroxide for scabies. No success. I ended up making a paste of diatomaceous earth and olive oil. Scabies were gone in a week.

Comment from: Dnblalock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had a rash for nine months. I saw the primary care physician who put me on steroids, then did my follow-up only for it to show up broken out again. He gave me another round of steroids and sent me to an allergist because half was rash and half were hives. I was given hydroxyzine, Elocon, Singulair, cetirizine, betamethasone, doxepin and nine more rounds of steroids. I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) three times and finally the third time they admitted me for extremely high doses of steroids (only to go through an IV). Each release I had a new round of steroids, except the last time in I was put on a three weeks course of them. I was also given antibiotics since my sores were huge and infected. Hospital told me to see a rheumatologist and a dermatologist. Rheumatology did large amounts of blood work. Finally got into dermatology two weeks ago, only to be told it was most likely scabies, although none showed up under microscope after scraping my skin with the knife. I did the two treatments, essential oils and witch hazel. Still no hope for me. It turns out I'm allergic to the little bugs and that's why no one could make a diagnosis. The hives were throwing everyone. I have new breakouts and new hives. All my sores are exactly where they say scabies broke out, but the annoying things must like me a lot. I am about ready to jump into fire and burn these things. Seriously these things are crazy.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?