Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: JAMN, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 05

I tried everything for my scabies; vinegar, bleach soakings, clobetasol, etc. I have psoriasis as well, so the scabies made it extremely difficult to manage the itching. You can re-infect yourself because of the itching because the mites get under your fingernails. The only thing I found that helped it was Tiger Balm. This ointment was the only thing that stopped the itching enough so I could sleep. With the oral prescription for getting rid of the boogers, Tiger Balm stopped the itching. It also started getting rid of the welts that were formed by the mites and also the scars from my psoriasis.

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently discovered little bumps on the top of my hands that itched pretty badly. They then started to appear on the top of my feet and worked their way up my arms and legs. I went to the emergency room (just moved and don't have a doctor) and she told me she thinks I have scabies. She prescribed me permethrin 5 percent like the rest of you. But I read here that vinegar and salt help. People, vinegar and salt do help! I got in the bath with no water in the tub and poured vinegar on my feet hands arms and legs. Then I took sea salt and rubbed it in with the vinegar until a white, almost foam, started to appear on my skin (mind you it burned very bad but only for a moment). After I let it sit on my bites and skin I turned the bath on and filled the tub up about a quarter full and stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes. Then after I felt that the vinegar had done its job I took a scalding hot shower (as hot as you can stand). When I got out I dried my body with a brand new towel from the dryer and then I put the permethrin 5 percent cream on my body from head to toe, behind my ears even; everywhere. I washed my sheets and put on clean clothes from straight out of the dryer and went to sleep. I woke up, showered off the cream and bam! The bumps on my hands are gone and the ones on my legs and feet are vanishing slowly. It will still take time for my scabs from itching to heal but I can tell that it definitely worked. I would highly suggest the vinegar. After work I am going to go home and do one more vinegar bath and wash my sheets one more time. I am really hoping this helps someone! I know how horrible these creatures are.

Comment from: pheonix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have suffered from scabies for 6 months. I just tried the treatment of alcohol, salt, and vinegar. It was the best!! I soaked a handkerchief in it and wrapped it around my arm for 5 minutes. My bumps were almost gone! Now I soaked my socks in it and am wearing them. It is amazing.

Comment from: Mr. Scabie Mite, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Ivermectin and a hair dryer cured my scabies after one full year! I tried everything else; cleaned house and cars from top to bottom, dusted everything with DE (diatomaceous earth), sealed unused clothes in plastic bags, high heat washer and dryer, permethrin cream several weeks in a row, hat sauce, hydrogen peroxide; you name it! I spent thousands on permethrin cream and ivermectin pills. Nothing worked! I took horse paste Ivermectin in a ratio with my body weight, bought industrial permethrin and mixed with water for spray on specific areas, and used a number 1875 hair dryer on areas that itched for as long as I could bear the pain instead of scratching! Finally, after one full year of agony these things are dead! I would not wish them on my worst enemy! I am out of work and depressed over the torment the tenacious little creatures put me through! All the money on earth is not worth losing your health. I hope this works for you. Peace be with you.

Comment from: rongalap, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I finally got rid of those little creatures. I tried several ointments and baths with borax and hydrogen peroxide for scabies. No success. I ended up making a paste of diatomaceous earth and olive oil. Scabies were gone in a week.

Comment from: h8tescabs, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 04

Ice and heat will put scabies on the run, and give you some relief, but it will not kill them out for good. I am still working on that. I have ordered some permethrin 10 and baby lotion to make my own salve. I will try to get back on here and let you know how it works.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?