Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: bentley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have scabies and have been using Dettol and tea tree oil. I put 2 caps of Dettol in my bath 2 times a day and put tea tree oil on of a night and it works. The Dettol cleans the skin and the tea tree oil helps to sooth my skin at night and during the day.

Comment from: MadScabies, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I have been put through the ringer for nearly 5 years and numerous visits to the dermatologist who kept telling me I had some kind of an allergy. I recently decided to find a new family doctor and am I so glad I did; he discovered I had scabies all this time which turned into severe scabies and very severe yeast infection from all the scratching. It started out as a very itchy rash with red sores on my sides and along the waistline with bad genital itching. So I set up date to see a dermatologist. First visit I was told it was herpes. I didn't believe that! Returned visit a male doctor checked, did a biopsy test which showed negative unknown, so the doctor told me I needed allergy patch testing, which took several visits. All the while I continued suffering itching severely, and unable to sleep. Patch test was negative but the doctor still told me it must be allergy to something around my home. He prescribed methotrexate low dose which tapered down the rash but it never went away. I took the medicine over a year until finally it stopped working at all and I had flare up over my entire body with red rashes and extreme itching, and open sores all over. I tried clobetasol creams, antihistamines, Aveeno soaps and bath soaks, changed to fragrance free All laundry soap, stopped using deodorants and colognes, tried eczema creams, Caladryl. I mean I tried everything on the shelf and nothing worked, it just kept getting worse and worse. My legs became scarred just from all the scratching and sores, yet I returned to the dermatologist for help again. I was seen and told it's an allergy and that clobetasol is the best cream they have. I told her it's not working and I'm getting these sores up the back of my neck and head now into my hair literally from my feet up to my head. The itching is not just an itch, I've tried to explain this that you really want to take a wire brush and scratch the heck out of it. Any kind of heat intensifies the itch extremely bad. I mean I have suffered a long time with this mess and was stunned when my family doctor prescribed permethrin. You take a clean, bath get out and totally dry your skin off then spread this cream, leave it on overnight, then shower the next day. I changed all linens and washed with a little borax in the clothes and linens. I sprayed our mattress down with Rid, put my shoes enclosed in an air tight bag for 3 days after spraying bug spray in it too. All along the whole time it's been scabies once I treated my body with the permethrin I started feeling better the next day but still had to do another treatment 1 week later to make sure it's gone.

Comment from: JAMN, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 05

I tried everything for my scabies; vinegar, bleach soakings, clobetasol, etc. I have psoriasis as well, so the scabies made it extremely difficult to manage the itching. You can re-infect yourself because of the itching because the mites get under your fingernails. The only thing I found that helped it was Tiger Balm. This ointment was the only thing that stopped the itching enough so I could sleep. With the oral prescription for getting rid of the boogers, Tiger Balm stopped the itching. It also started getting rid of the welts that were formed by the mites and also the scars from my psoriasis.

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently discovered little bumps on the top of my hands that itched pretty badly. They then started to appear on the top of my feet and worked their way up my arms and legs. I went to the emergency room (just moved and don't have a doctor) and she told me she thinks I have scabies. She prescribed me permethrin 5 percent like the rest of you. But I read here that vinegar and salt help. People, vinegar and salt do help! I got in the bath with no water in the tub and poured vinegar on my feet hands arms and legs. Then I took sea salt and rubbed it in with the vinegar until a white, almost foam, started to appear on my skin (mind you it burned very bad but only for a moment). After I let it sit on my bites and skin I turned the bath on and filled the tub up about a quarter full and stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes. Then after I felt that the vinegar had done its job I took a scalding hot shower (as hot as you can stand). When I got out I dried my body with a brand new towel from the dryer and then I put the permethrin 5 percent cream on my body from head to toe, behind my ears even; everywhere. I washed my sheets and put on clean clothes from straight out of the dryer and went to sleep. I woke up, showered off the cream and bam! The bumps on my hands are gone and the ones on my legs and feet are vanishing slowly. It will still take time for my scabs from itching to heal but I can tell that it definitely worked. I would highly suggest the vinegar. After work I am going to go home and do one more vinegar bath and wash my sheets one more time. I am really hoping this helps someone! I know how horrible these creatures are.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?