Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Mr. Scabie Mite, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Ivermectin and a hair dryer cured my scabies after one full year! I tried everything else; cleaned house and cars from top to bottom, dusted everything with DE (diatomaceous earth), sealed unused clothes in plastic bags, high heat washer and dryer, permethrin cream several weeks in a row, hat sauce, hydrogen peroxide; you name it! I spent thousands on permethrin cream and ivermectin pills. Nothing worked! I took horse paste Ivermectin in a ratio with my body weight, bought industrial permethrin and mixed with water for spray on specific areas, and used a number 1875 hair dryer on areas that itched for as long as I could bear the pain instead of scratching! Finally, after one full year of agony these things are dead! I would not wish them on my worst enemy! I am out of work and depressed over the torment the tenacious little creatures put me through! All the money on earth is not worth losing your health. I hope this works for you. Peace be with you.

Comment from: rongalap, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I finally got rid of those little creatures. I tried several ointments and baths with borax and hydrogen peroxide for scabies. No success. I ended up making a paste of diatomaceous earth and olive oil. Scabies were gone in a week.

Comment from: Dnblalock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had a rash for nine months. I saw the primary care physician who put me on steroids, then did my follow-up only for it to show up broken out again. He gave me another round of steroids and sent me to an allergist because half was rash and half were hives. I was given hydroxyzine, Elocon, Singulair, cetirizine, betamethasone, doxepin and nine more rounds of steroids. I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) three times and finally the third time they admitted me for extremely high doses of steroids (only to go through an IV). Each release I had a new round of steroids, except the last time in I was put on a three weeks course of them. I was also given antibiotics since my sores were huge and infected. Hospital told me to see a rheumatologist and a dermatologist. Rheumatology did large amounts of blood work. Finally got into dermatology two weeks ago, only to be told it was most likely scabies, although none showed up under microscope after scraping my skin with the knife. I did the two treatments, essential oils and witch hazel. Still no hope for me. It turns out I'm allergic to the little bugs and that's why no one could make a diagnosis. The hives were throwing everyone. I have new breakouts and new hives. All my sores are exactly where they say scabies broke out, but the annoying things must like me a lot. I am about ready to jump into fire and burn these things. Seriously these things are crazy.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief from scabies. I was on fire till I did this; some older spots need rubbing alcohol. Soak the area with paper towel for instant relief, older spots affected may need more applications.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Hydrogen peroxide works for scabies. Soak a paper towel and lay on affected area. You will get immediate relief although it may have to be done several times; the poor man's way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: Jay, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

The best thing I did was finally go to the doctor after two years of trying to treat multiple symptoms of scabies myself. I quarantined myself and I was careful as much as possible to avoid contaminating anything.

Comment from: SuzzBark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had scabies for over 6 months. I have been to several doctors. In reality the products prescribed only works for a short while. I have tried so many things but in the end only a few things worked for me. I bathed in bleach every night and applied my own mixed cream (citronella oil, calamine lotion and benzyl benzoate with a base cream. I recovered with no re-infestation. Scabies puts a person through agony and I check every single day for marks or bumps. Don't allow it to infest you again.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?