Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Listeningandlearning, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I went through hell with the scabies. Followed doctor's orders to a T. At my wits end, I scratched all of the blisters open, filled the tub with hot water and added a lot of Clorox. Stayed in there adding more hot water. Blotted dry. In the morning my itch and my scabies were gone. This was suggested to me by a registered nurse. Thank goodness, it worked!

Comment from: Dorothy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My son brought scabies mites home not knowing how he picked them up. He was misdiagnosed by two doctors who gave him itching crème and antibiotic which made it worse. He scratched all the bumps until it spread to his entire body, including face and scalp. He has used one dose of the mite crème which was prescribed by a doctor after I did so much research and diagnosed it as mites. The crème worked a little, he will do the second dose this week, we also used every essential oil, sulfur lotion, and Nu-Stock (diluted) which worked well. These products seem to work but very slowly. I had witch hazel at home and tried it and immediately the mites came to the top of the skin and were being killed and wiped away with the pad. I picked this up also from treating him and the witch hazel made me feel creepy to see the black spots on the pad. I think we have turned the corner of getting rid of these things by using witch hazel. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to the witch hazel. This has been a nightmare to go through, getting them out of the house has been very hard. Everyone who reads this please go buy a bottle of witch hazel in the facial cleanser department of the drug store and try to find peace in fighting these horrible things.

Comment from: Jhulieteuk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was once a scabies patient. The most basic and the most non expensive remedy or cure for it is a small amount of alcohol, salt, vinegar and very hot water. Mix it all up and immediately press into the affected area for just a few minutes. The affected pores will pop out since salt, alcohol and vinegar dry up and dehydrate the inflamed pore; killing it is that easy.

Comment from: Raquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I just thought I would let everyone know that is suffering with itching from scabies, there is hope. I tried just about everything; I've been battling with this for 2 1/2 months. Here it is cheap and easy way to be rid of scabies. Use Dettol antibacterial soap, rub it on body from neck down for itching and let it sit on your body for 8 hours. Itch is nearly non-existent, wear your clothes continue life; repeat next three days and it should be close to gone if non-existent. Hopefully this helps.

Comment from: Carlita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I got scabies when I used a public washing machine and didn't allow 20 minutes on hot in the dryer. I went to the doctor and took some medication and some cream. I still had the problem, so I went to the local pets store spent 8.00 on Harts mite shampoo for dogs and used it. The first time I washed very quickly (for pets they say leave on 5 minutes) and I was a lot better. I added it to my laundry and the problem was solved. I used a few times more (with no ill effects) just to be sure. Save your money, I'm on budget and this was traumatic for me financially and mentally. You can do this, it will be ok. I got a nice smelling coconut, not bad at all. Pyrethrin is the chemical that kills the mites-best I can offer. I was close to a breakdown over this. I wish someone had posted this solution for me. Good luck.

Comment from: surviva, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Permethrin does work but you have to be patient. I had a second application and also kept some in the tube for future touch ups on trouble areas. It can take up to 8 weeks to fully rid of it. Even after the 8 weeks you may experience an itchy rash from the use of the permethrin. This rash is different from scabies rash. It will itch but not in the same way scabies does. Also it is better to wash all clothes at a laundromat at once, air the bed, shake the mattress sleep on the couch for a couple of days.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

You may not believe this but I found a way to immediately stop the terrible itching for several hours. I washed the itchy area with hot water, as hot as I can stand it for a couple of minutes. Then magic, no more itching for hours. I also tried putting tabasco sauce on the infected areas. It burned terribly but it seemed to work, until a couple weeks later when I suppose the eggs hatched out and I started itching again. My home remedies are good, but not perfect. So I will try real medicine beginning tomorrow to get rid of these stubborn little monsters.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?