Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: AESK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

There are a lot of treatments that are supposed to get rid of scabies but they are all quite costly. I detected those little critters on my private areas about a week ago. As they spread, the itching increased considerably, especially at night. I read of someone using both Lysol and Bengay as a treatment so I thought I would try it after my next shower. Surprisingly the Lysol was cool and refreshing on my skin. The Bengay was not bad until it got too close to my testicles. It burned for a little while but that was all. The scabies stopped itching the next day and were totally gone by the third day. I am here to say that this treatment worked!

Comment from: Laura k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was horrified by the diagnosis of scabies and have covered every inch of skin with the cream prescribed by my doctor. About three months ago I attended a family picnic of about 70 people. It was hot and everyone was in tank tops and sweaty... didn't stop them from hugging. This had to be the cause. I can't wait for the itching to stop!

Comment from: Natalie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My son was diagnosed with scabies about 1 ½ months ago. We used the cream and treated him twice and he still is miserable. We called the doctor again and he called in an antibiotic for him and a different cream. We have done this and took all of the medicine and used the cream and he is still miserable. I even gave him Benadryl and he is miserable. I treated the house as directed. We see a dermatologist in a few weeks. We could use some help before then, though.

Comment from: tleeg1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I noticed a small itchy area when staying temporarily at a men's shelter. I moved into a motel room but the itching remained. I went to the doctor, thinking it was bed bugs. I've had two rounds of prednisone, but we are all afraid of prolonged use of steroids. I have gone through three tubes of a prescription ointment. I tried loratadine and the rash seems worse. I am at my wit's end – I can't sleep. I put ice in a washcloth and that helps a bit. I've tried scalding hot showers. I think now its scabies.

Comment from: RhondaFaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Working as a nurse, I came in contact with this little bug in the hospital. I also use holistic medicine for most of my problems. I have found that dry wood ash is very effective against scabies. You can build a campfire outside and use the cooled dry ashes on your skin just like baby powder. Gently apply the cool ash powder on any bumps or itchy places as often as you want. It soothes the itching as well as smothering the bug. You can apply it to open sores as well as new bumps. You cannot see the ash on your skin, and it washes out of clothing easily. You can do this several times a day for at least a month; to be sure you're killing all the bugs. You can use it longer if you need to.

Comment from: Sharane Antonette, 55-64 Female Published: March 05

Not sexually active; work with a sizeable homeless population. I was at work when I had intense itching at the waistline. Checked at home and noticed one small red pimple. Itching at night, the next day, noticed spreading in a scratch pattern, looking like scabies of about 12 spots. Using a needle-nose tweezer I extracted the scabiei from each of these spots. In order to Id the extraction (examined under high magnification), found photos and this website--sure enough scabies. Inspired by the Lysol cure in one of these posts, I spread Lysol over the infected area. Prior to bedtime I coated the area with Ben Gay. When that was absorbed I followed up with a nice coating of Vicks Vapo rub. Next day: all the newer/lesser red spots were gone. Remaining are the initial spots, which were larger. They no longer itch and appear to be healing and no other spots have appeared. If this works, it's only due to the fact that it was nipped in the bud. I don't want to mislead anyone into a home remedy that doesn't work for them; neither did I want exponential, disease development, while I waited to see a doctor. If one spot turns into 12 into 2 days, think of what that would be in a week. Thanks, Lysol poster!

Comment from: itchy, Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My husband had broken out with a "rash" that seemed to become worse with time. He had extreme itching, raised red bumps, and brownish spots that kind of looked like bruises. He applied steroid creams, but these spots would not go away. Then I started to notice spots on myself that intensified with time. I went to a local health department and was diagnosed with herpes. I took the prescribed medicine but it didn't work. The itching became unbearable, and the sores spread. After three months of physical torture, I visited a dermatologist and found it was scabies. I used the permethrin cream. It helped for a while, although it would not rid us of these vermin. So I asked the doctor for something stronger. We will see if they go away.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?