Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: surviva, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Permethrin does work but you have to be patient. I had a second application and also kept some in the tube for future touch ups on trouble areas. It can take up to 8 weeks to fully rid of it. Even after the 8 weeks you may experience an itchy rash from the use of the permethrin. This rash is different from scabies rash. It will itch but not in the same way scabies does. Also it is better to wash all clothes at a laundromat at once, air the bed, shake the mattress sleep on the couch for a couple of days.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

You may not believe this but I found a way to immediately stop the terrible itching for several hours. I washed the itchy area with hot water, as hot as I can stand it for a couple of minutes. Then magic, no more itching for hours. I also tried putting tabasco sauce on the infected areas. It burned terribly but it seemed to work, until a couple weeks later when I suppose the eggs hatched out and I started itching again. My home remedies are good, but not perfect. So I will try real medicine beginning tomorrow to get rid of these stubborn little monsters.

Comment from: BELIEVER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Scabies was 3 months of hell. Really. Anyone that's had it knows. I have a low immune system maybe why I got it much worse than my child (we think we caught it from the next door neighbor's dog, as they wrapped furniture outside in plastic and took off for 2 weeks and came back with shaved heads). Cost me $500 and lost work. It was a nightmare. I want to add ivermectin was what turned the tide after 3 months. Still doing most of the protocol. Still have some itching in eyebrows and scalp, which I coat at night with coconut oil. Works wonders. I also was spot treating any itch with an alcohol swab. Really works. Getting rid of this nightmare is like a full time job. Be vigilant. Bag everything you can in plastic bags. Treat and retreat. Diatomaceous earth is your friend. Buy food grade.

Comment from: savannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Whatever you do, do not put salt directly to the skin and let it sit. I did this thinking that it would be more potent to the scabies mites, but it only irritated my skin even further. I am still trying to find out something that will work for me. Best of luck!

Comment from: Chriso, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I just applied vinegar and sea salt mixture to my husband for scabies and he says he really burns. But this is probably a good sign that it is working. He is in a very hot shower now and then we are going to the beach to soak in salt water for 15 minutes or so.

Comment from: jeanie p., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief for scabies. I was on fire till I did this. Some older spots need more applications. It works; try it the cheap way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: mikesays, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm going through an awful time with scabies. I went to the doctor and got prescribed permethrin 5% cream and hydroxyzine, it hasn't been working. I cannot sleep, I'm miserable, I am going to try a hot bath with Clorox in it. I'm hoping it works.

Comment from: MissC, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

One of my teenagers had a friend who kept getting re-infested with scabies, then re-infesting us. I finally had enough and told my teen to tell his friend to please bug bomb as part of the treatment (flea bomb his house). Along with laundering everything, vacuuming all carpets, encasing all bed mattresses with a hypo-allergenic shell (inexpensive through Walmart), and treating with the cream (we have to leave it on longer than directed or it doesn't work), the bombing finishes what cleaning misses. My mother's care home has just been diagnosed with an outbreak, and they have need of less harmful products. There's now a product line called Cedar Bug Free that looks promising.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?