Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn't really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: May 06

I have had scabies for about six months. I saw the doctor, and he prescribed permethrin cream. That worked OK, but I kept getting re-infected. I treated my shoes with insecticide, and that helped for a while. I found some encapsulated scabies in my favorite leather chair. I think this is how I kept getting re-infected. After I would sit in the chair for a while, I could feel them on my skin again. I used Borax on my chair, and hopefully it will kill the capsulated creeps.

Comment from: Vertige, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I'm still perplexed as to how I got scabies. I was in a long-term relationship that ended, and my partner and I still speak regularly. He has not had scabies, and I have not had sexual contact with anyone else, yet I can't get rid of it. I'm on my fifth tube of 5% permethrin (and a sixth one ready to go in a week's time). All this permethrin does is keep the scabies at bay, but I always get re-infected. I'm tired of cleaning the house from top to bottom to get rid of the scabies. I even tried sleeping on the floor for two weeks with new bedding and didn't sit on any of the furniture, and I still got re-infected.

Comment from: pros, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have what I believe is Norwegian crusted scabies; and caught this infestation about 5 months ago. At first I developed 2 crusty lesions on my back that itched and burned. Then they began making long "scratch-like” burrows (where they lay their eggs) mostly on my back, flanks and stomach. I tried many topical medications: permethrin, Kwell, and a home-made sulfur cream. These helped some, but did not rid me of the pests. I developed burrows in my vagina and noticed eggs and black larvae in my stool.( my fiance has been in the medical profession for over 25 years and has a microscope at home which we used to id the mites). Only when I began taking ivermectin did I start to have real relief; but the amount prescribed isn't enough to completely rid me of this infestation. I believe that the amount needed is more like 0.25 milligrams up to 0.5 milligrams per kg of body weight. With the technology that we have today it is ashamed that a mite is allowed to cause such misery.

Comment from: msMED, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 03

I am a medical student. Last October, I developed rashes with intense itchiness at night. As I was rotating in an OBGYN department and allergic to surgical gloves, I didn't pay much attention to it. Eventually, it became noticeable, and the itchiness became worse, which affected my studies. I consulted a dermatologist, and she told me that I had scabies and asked if anyone in my family had ever had it. I told her no. She then told me that the hospital where I'm rotating had an outbreak of scabies. She then gave me lotion to apply every two weeks and loratadine for itchiness. Still, it persists. I sought treatment again. This time, she gave me prednisone and betamethasone cream. After a few days, I noticed a great improvement. The pustules are slowly disappearing, and the itchiness at night is gone.

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: anonomous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My husband and I had scabies for seven months before we found out. By then, I had infected my 2-week-old son. His rash looked so different from mine that we didn't relate them until he was 11 weeks old. All the skin problems that the whole family had suffered with was all cleared up with two applications of permethrin (5%) cream a week apart. I had the rash for most of my pregnancy. Since I was pregnant, it did not manifest itself on my hand but over my entire body. My doctor thought it was just a pregnancy rash and would go away after I had the baby, but it just changed. By the time we discovered what it was, the rash was moving toward my hands and improving on my body. My thighs, arms, and butt are covered in scares from the rash. The pregnancy hormones caused the rash to manifest itself in the opposite way it generally appears in adults.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?