Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Lee, Male Published: February 11

I had scabies last year and got misdiagnosed. My doctor thought it was impetigo and prescribed me antibiotics, which of course, did no good. I found it quite hard to get rid of the things but none of even my close friends caught it off me, which was a plus I guess!

Comment from: 19-24 Male Published: October 13

My brother has scabies and I think it's so gross. I had to use the same washing machine as him and was worried that I may contract the scabies and possibly transfer it to my boyfriend. However, after reading the material on this site I think it should be okay as scabies do not live too long off of the body host.

Published: June 06

I had scabies on my feet and I soaked them in hot water as hot as I could stand it and a bottle of LYSOL. The next day the scabies were gone. NO JOKE!

Comment from: rick22rt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had an outbreak of scabies five months ago that was very severe. I had painful sores and itching at night. After a couple of days, I went to the doctor and got permethrin. It worked ... sort of.

Comment from: Nolia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I just got back from the dermatologist today and was diagnosed with scabies. I believe I cried for a good hour, just the thought of little mites all over my body creeps me out. I've had scabies for the past 3 months now. First I thought it was just a rash on my hands & then my hands started to itch. I thought I was just dry so I applied lotion more than usual. Then it started spreading all over my body especially on my stomach. I was prescribed permethrin cream 5% & hydroxyzine (for the itching). Hopefully this works on me. It seems like it doesn't work on some people. I don't know how this happened to me. I just hope no one catches it from me, I would feel horrible.

Comment from: tiredofnavymedical, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am in the military and upon returning from my deployment in Iraq I noticed some itchy bumps on my skin. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed for scabies. Permethrin was prescribed to me. Over a period of a couple weeks I went through the entire bottle of cream. So I went back to the doctor. He prescribed me 2 more bottles of cream and told me to use it daily until they were gone. I used the cream until it was gone. Still no relief. So I go back to see doctor. I am then prescribed Ivermectin to take one time and doctor said I should feel relief within a couple weeks. 3 weeks later I still have an itchy rash on my forearms, neck and lower legs.

Published: February 05

After seeing a dermatologist he told me I had scabies most likely because of the severe itching and bumps on my wrist, legs, and buttocks. He prescribed me PERMETHRIN cream 5% and I left it on for about 10 hours. I changed my sheets but failed to wash some clothes and the itching and symptoms never went away. It has been about 3 weeks since my first dose so I am going to use the cream again and wash everything I have come in contact with.

Comment from: Isabella schuh-cast, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I thought scabies were something you get when you are not clean, I think I'm very hygienic and I still caught them, but I probably would not have never thought they were scabies I thought they were sweat pimples they started under my belly button then really got to my arms and my wrists it was really horrible because my whole body became itchy but then I bought a bottle of LYCLEAR and washed all my linen the itchiness still persisted for a couple of days afterwards, but apparently that was normal now I am scabie free.

Comment from: pissedoffpatient, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was just recently diagnosed with scabies, and it is horrible. I was prescribed permethrin and I am praying that it works. I live with my two kids and fiance, and I am the only one that has any symptoms. Although everybody else in the house will also have to use the medication. It's all just such a hassle, having to use the cream on myself and children, and having to disinfect everything. It just makes me so mad that we're such clean people and dirty people that are your neighbors give you some crap like this.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?