Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

You may not believe this but I found a way to immediately stop the terrible itching for several hours. I washed the itchy area with hot water, as hot as I can stand it for a couple of minutes. Then magic, no more itching for hours. I also tried putting tabasco sauce on the infected areas. It burned terribly but it seemed to work, until a couple weeks later when I suppose the eggs hatched out and I started itching again. My home remedies are good, but not perfect. So I will try real medicine beginning tomorrow to get rid of these stubborn little monsters.

Comment from: BELIEVER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Scabies was 3 months of hell. Really. Anyone that's had it knows. I have a low immune system maybe why I got it much worse than my child (we think we caught it from the next door neighbor's dog, as they wrapped furniture outside in plastic and took off for 2 weeks and came back with shaved heads). Cost me $500 and lost work. It was a nightmare. I want to add ivermectin was what turned the tide after 3 months. Still doing most of the protocol. Still have some itching in eyebrows and scalp, which I coat at night with coconut oil. Works wonders. I also was spot treating any itch with an alcohol swab. Really works. Getting rid of this nightmare is like a full time job. Be vigilant. Bag everything you can in plastic bags. Treat and retreat. Diatomaceous earth is your friend. Buy food grade.

Comment from: jeanie p., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief for scabies. I was on fire till I did this. Some older spots need more applications. It works; try it the cheap way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: mikesays, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm going through an awful time with scabies. I went to the doctor and got prescribed permethrin 5% cream and hydroxyzine, it hasn't been working. I cannot sleep, I'm miserable, I am going to try a hot bath with Clorox in it. I'm hoping it works.

Comment from: MissC, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

One of my teenagers had a friend who kept getting re-infested with scabies, then re-infesting us. I finally had enough and told my teen to tell his friend to please bug bomb as part of the treatment (flea bomb his house). Along with laundering everything, vacuuming all carpets, encasing all bed mattresses with a hypo-allergenic shell (inexpensive through Walmart), and treating with the cream (we have to leave it on longer than directed or it doesn't work), the bombing finishes what cleaning misses. My mother's care home has just been diagnosed with an outbreak, and they have need of less harmful products. There's now a product line called Cedar Bug Free that looks promising.

Comment from: I hate Itching, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I got scabies from my grandkids. I have found that a 1/4 cup of Boric Acid 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 2 cups of warm water put into a spray bottle does give some relief. What I've read the Permethrin cream is a joke. Also tea tree oil works well, it just takes time. I don't believe a nuclear blast can kill this junk. Still itching.

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn't really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: May 06

I have had scabies for about six months. I saw the doctor, and he prescribed permethrin cream. That worked OK, but I kept getting re-infected. I treated my shoes with insecticide, and that helped for a while. I found some encapsulated scabies in my favorite leather chair. I think this is how I kept getting re-infected. After I would sit in the chair for a while, I could feel them on my skin again. I used Borax on my chair, and hopefully it will kill the capsulated creeps.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?