Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: tleeg1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I noticed a small itchy area when staying temporarily at a men's shelter. I moved into a motel room but the itching remained. I went to the doctor, thinking it was bed bugs. I've had two rounds of prednisone, but we are all afraid of prolonged use of steroids. I have gone through three tubes of a prescription ointment. I tried loratadine and the rash seems worse. I am at my wit's end – I can't sleep. I put ice in a washcloth and that helps a bit. I've tried scalding hot showers. I think now its scabies.

Comment from: RhondaFaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Working as a nurse, I came in contact with this little bug in the hospital. I also use holistic medicine for most of my problems. I have found that dry wood ash is very effective against scabies. You can build a campfire outside and use the cooled dry ashes on your skin just like baby powder. Gently apply the cool ash powder on any bumps or itchy places as often as you want. It soothes the itching as well as smothering the bug. You can apply it to open sores as well as new bumps. You cannot see the ash on your skin, and it washes out of clothing easily. You can do this several times a day for at least a month; to be sure you're killing all the bugs. You can use it longer if you need to.

Comment from: Sharane Antonette, 55-64 Female Published: March 05

Not sexually active; work with a sizeable homeless population. I was at work when I had intense itching at the waistline. Checked at home and noticed one small red pimple. Itching at night, the next day, noticed spreading in a scratch pattern, looking like scabies of about 12 spots. Using a needle-nose tweezer I extracted the scabiei from each of these spots. In order to Id the extraction (examined under high magnification), found photos and this website--sure enough scabies. Inspired by the Lysol cure in one of these posts, I spread Lysol over the infected area. Prior to bedtime I coated the area with Ben Gay. When that was absorbed I followed up with a nice coating of Vicks Vapo rub. Next day: all the newer/lesser red spots were gone. Remaining are the initial spots, which were larger. They no longer itch and appear to be healing and no other spots have appeared. If this works, it's only due to the fact that it was nipped in the bud. I don't want to mislead anyone into a home remedy that doesn't work for them; neither did I want exponential, disease development, while I waited to see a doctor. If one spot turns into 12 into 2 days, think of what that would be in a week. Thanks, Lysol poster!

Comment from: itchy, Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My husband had broken out with a "rash" that seemed to become worse with time. He had extreme itching, raised red bumps, and brownish spots that kind of looked like bruises. He applied steroid creams, but these spots would not go away. Then I started to notice spots on myself that intensified with time. I went to a local health department and was diagnosed with herpes. I took the prescribed medicine but it didn't work. The itching became unbearable, and the sores spread. After three months of physical torture, I visited a dermatologist and found it was scabies. I used the permethrin cream. It helped for a while, although it would not rid us of these vermin. So I asked the doctor for something stronger. We will see if they go away.

Comment from: Lori H., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I just got scabies behind my knee and on the upper part of my left leg. I put hydrogen peroxide on it and then rubbing alcohol to relieve the itching and stop infection. I then smothered the rash area with Vaseline, which seems helpful in an attempt to suffocate the little critters. The result is still unknown. As a precaution, after bathing, I get a new towel for next time. I may try a super-diluted solution of Clorox and water to see if that works, and then follow up with olive oil or vitamin E oil. The idea is to kill them and then smother the eggs.

Published: March 23

I went to my dermatologist for a rash that started on my bilateral inner elbows. It was accompanied by severe itching, followed by blistering pustules over a period of two weeks. My doctor prescribed me prednisone and diagnosed me with poison ivy. While on the prednisone, my symptoms subsided, but within three days, it returned with a vengeance. My upper and lower legs were full of blisters, and again, the doctor said it was poison ivy. I went to a dermatologist who said my doctor was wrong, and I had scabies. Two weeks later, I finally applied the right cream. I'm a nurse and have seen scabies at the nursing home where I used to work. It can be a very different-appearing disease at any given stage. It is always somewhat rash-like, and raised, and almost always pin-pointed. And it itches like heck! It doesn't always sit in the palms and webs of the toes as people think, and it is difficult to properly diagnosis. It can take several weeks of misdiagnosing before someone realizes it's scabies. If you are not seizure prone, do yourself a favor and beg your doctor to prescribe you a cream for treatment. It works!

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?