Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Jhulieteuk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was once a scabies patient. The most basic and the most non expensive remedy or cure for it is a small amount of alcohol, salt, vinegar and very hot water. Mix it all up and immediately press into the affected area for just a few minutes. The affected pores will pop out since salt, alcohol and vinegar dry up and dehydrate the inflamed pore; killing it is that easy.

Comment from: Raquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I just thought I would let everyone know that is suffering with itching from scabies, there is hope. I tried just about everything; I've been battling with this for 2 1/2 months. Here it is cheap and easy way to be rid of scabies. Use Dettol antibacterial soap, rub it on body from neck down for itching and let it sit on your body for 8 hours. Itch is nearly non-existent, wear your clothes continue life; repeat next three days and it should be close to gone if non-existent. Hopefully this helps.

Comment from: Carlita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I got scabies when I used a public washing machine and didn't allow 20 minutes on hot in the dryer. I went to the doctor and took some medication and some cream. I still had the problem, so I went to the local pets store spent 8.00 on Harts mite shampoo for dogs and used it. The first time I washed very quickly (for pets they say leave on 5 minutes) and I was a lot better. I added it to my laundry and the problem was solved. I used a few times more (with no ill effects) just to be sure. Save your money, I'm on budget and this was traumatic for me financially and mentally. You can do this, it will be ok. I got a nice smelling coconut, not bad at all. Pyrethrin is the chemical that kills the mites-best I can offer. I was close to a breakdown over this. I wish someone had posted this solution for me. Good luck.

Comment from: surviva, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Permethrin does work but you have to be patient. I had a second application and also kept some in the tube for future touch ups on trouble areas. It can take up to 8 weeks to fully rid of it. Even after the 8 weeks you may experience an itchy rash from the use of the permethrin. This rash is different from scabies rash. It will itch but not in the same way scabies does. Also it is better to wash all clothes at a laundromat at once, air the bed, shake the mattress sleep on the couch for a couple of days.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

You may not believe this but I found a way to immediately stop the terrible itching for several hours. I washed the itchy area with hot water, as hot as I can stand it for a couple of minutes. Then magic, no more itching for hours. I also tried putting tabasco sauce on the infected areas. It burned terribly but it seemed to work, until a couple weeks later when I suppose the eggs hatched out and I started itching again. My home remedies are good, but not perfect. So I will try real medicine beginning tomorrow to get rid of these stubborn little monsters.

Comment from: BELIEVER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Scabies was 3 months of hell. Really. Anyone that's had it knows. I have a low immune system maybe why I got it much worse than my child (we think we caught it from the next door neighbor's dog, as they wrapped furniture outside in plastic and took off for 2 weeks and came back with shaved heads). Cost me $500 and lost work. It was a nightmare. I want to add ivermectin was what turned the tide after 3 months. Still doing most of the protocol. Still have some itching in eyebrows and scalp, which I coat at night with coconut oil. Works wonders. I also was spot treating any itch with an alcohol swab. Really works. Getting rid of this nightmare is like a full time job. Be vigilant. Bag everything you can in plastic bags. Treat and retreat. Diatomaceous earth is your friend. Buy food grade.

Comment from: jeanie p., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief for scabies. I was on fire till I did this. Some older spots need more applications. It works; try it the cheap way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: mikesays, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm going through an awful time with scabies. I went to the doctor and got prescribed permethrin 5% cream and hydroxyzine, it hasn't been working. I cannot sleep, I'm miserable, I am going to try a hot bath with Clorox in it. I'm hoping it works.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?