Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: msMED, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 03

I am a medical student. Last October, I developed rashes with intense itchiness at night. As I was rotating in an OBGYN department and allergic to surgical gloves, I didn't pay much attention to it. Eventually, it became noticeable, and the itchiness became worse, which affected my studies. I consulted a dermatologist, and she told me that I had scabies and asked if anyone in my family had ever had it. I told her no. She then told me that the hospital where I'm rotating had an outbreak of scabies. She then gave me lotion to apply every two weeks and loratadine for itchiness. Still, it persists. I sought treatment again. This time, she gave me prednisone and betamethasone cream. After a few days, I noticed a great improvement. The pustules are slowly disappearing, and the itchiness at night is gone.

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: anonomous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My husband and I had scabies for seven months before we found out. By then, I had infected my 2-week-old son. His rash looked so different from mine that we didn't relate them until he was 11 weeks old. All the skin problems that the whole family had suffered with was all cleared up with two applications of permethrin (5%) cream a week apart. I had the rash for most of my pregnancy. Since I was pregnant, it did not manifest itself on my hand but over my entire body. My doctor thought it was just a pregnancy rash and would go away after I had the baby, but it just changed. By the time we discovered what it was, the rash was moving toward my hands and improving on my body. My thighs, arms, and butt are covered in scares from the rash. The pregnancy hormones caused the rash to manifest itself in the opposite way it generally appears in adults.

Comment from: thereaintnobugsonme, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 04

I had scabies a few months ago and went to my doctor who said that it was poison oak rash and prescribed me prednisone. The prednisone made the symptoms go away, but the bugs were breeding like mad because my immune system was down, and I didn't itch. After a few months, I was infested and had them all over, even on the top of my head, I believe. I went to a dermatologist -- thank goodness -- and he gave me ivermectin. After two doses of that, I started to feel better. However, two months later, they started popping up again. I had not been sexually active during this time, so I know that there were still some who survived; I'm thinking the ones on my scalp. So I got some 5% permethrin cream and just completed my second application. Hopefully this will do it because this condition is utterly miserable!

Comment from: AESK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

There are a lot of treatments that are supposed to get rid of scabies but they are all quite costly. I detected those little critters on my private areas about a week ago. As they spread, the itching increased considerably, especially at night. I read of someone using both Lysol and Bengay as a treatment so I thought I would try it after my next shower. Surprisingly the Lysol was cool and refreshing on my skin. The Bengay was not bad until it got too close to my testicles. It burned for a little while but that was all. The scabies stopped itching the next day and were totally gone by the third day. I am here to say that this treatment worked!

Comment from: Laura k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was horrified by the diagnosis of scabies and have covered every inch of skin with the cream prescribed by my doctor. About three months ago I attended a family picnic of about 70 people. It was hot and everyone was in tank tops and sweaty... didn't stop them from hugging. This had to be the cause. I can't wait for the itching to stop!

Comment from: Natalie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My son was diagnosed with scabies about 1 ½ months ago. We used the cream and treated him twice and he still is miserable. We called the doctor again and he called in an antibiotic for him and a different cream. We have done this and took all of the medicine and used the cream and he is still miserable. I even gave him Benadryl and he is miserable. I treated the house as directed. We see a dermatologist in a few weeks. We could use some help before then, though.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?