Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: aznurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I went through the traditional treatment which included ivermectin two times, Kwell ointment two times and I found what worked best was from a feed store. I tried the Nu-Stock and it worked well, it is expensive. The feed store was out of Nu-Stock so I bought M-T-G, an ointment for horses. The main ingredient is mineral oil, then sulfur. I have been using it daily for 4 days and no more bugs! It is non-toxic. Good luck there is hope!

Comment from: BLOVE, Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I just tried the vinegar, alcohol and salt and wow! This stuff did dry these little critters up. I've rested for the first time last night. I work as a teacher and I believe this is where I contacted scabies. This just happened in June but doctors don't know to look for this. My doctor thinks I'm breaking out from a reaction to a spider bite. Nothing he prescribed worked. I scrubbed with a Brillo pad first. I thought of the person who said that the salt didn't work, so I exfoliated lightly and then I blotted or soaked in the hot solution. My next quest is finding a solution for clearing the scars. I'm currently using Mederma PM.

Comment from: J_R, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I got scabies from a stray kitten that was given to my family. Cats and dogs can both contract the mite and you can get them from touching the animals. I treated the kitten with LimePlus Dip prescribed by the vet. I then washed all bedding, blankets, pillows, towels, and clothing in hot water and laundry soap that had Clorox in it. I then let them dry for an extra 30 minutes. The heat should kill them. I took a shower in water as hot as I could possibly stand it, for as long as I could stand it, and am continuing to do so. I have been told to try witch hazel which can help with the itching. Also, a diluted Clorox and water solution applied to the affected area with a cotton ball can also help to get rid of the pests. If you continue washing laundry like that and showering like that for a couple weeks, you should get rid of them. This is my second run in with them due to contact with infected animals.

Comment from: Listeningandlearning, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I went through hell with the scabies. Followed doctor's orders to a T. At my wits end, I scratched all of the blisters open, filled the tub with hot water and added a lot of Clorox. Stayed in there adding more hot water. Blotted dry. In the morning my itch and my scabies were gone. This was suggested to me by a registered nurse. Thank goodness, it worked!

Comment from: Dorothy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My son brought scabies mites home not knowing how he picked them up. He was misdiagnosed by two doctors who gave him itching crème and antibiotic which made it worse. He scratched all the bumps until it spread to his entire body, including face and scalp. He has used one dose of the mite crème which was prescribed by a doctor after I did so much research and diagnosed it as mites. The crème worked a little, he will do the second dose this week, we also used every essential oil, sulfur lotion, and Nu-Stock (diluted) which worked well. These products seem to work but very slowly. I had witch hazel at home and tried it and immediately the mites came to the top of the skin and were being killed and wiped away with the pad. I picked this up also from treating him and the witch hazel made me feel creepy to see the black spots on the pad. I think we have turned the corner of getting rid of these things by using witch hazel. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to the witch hazel. This has been a nightmare to go through, getting them out of the house has been very hard. Everyone who reads this please go buy a bottle of witch hazel in the facial cleanser department of the drug store and try to find peace in fighting these horrible things.

Comment from: Jhulieteuk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was once a scabies patient. The most basic and the most non expensive remedy or cure for it is a small amount of alcohol, salt, vinegar and very hot water. Mix it all up and immediately press into the affected area for just a few minutes. The affected pores will pop out since salt, alcohol and vinegar dry up and dehydrate the inflamed pore; killing it is that easy.

Comment from: Raquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I just thought I would let everyone know that is suffering with itching from scabies, there is hope. I tried just about everything; I've been battling with this for 2 1/2 months. Here it is cheap and easy way to be rid of scabies. Use Dettol antibacterial soap, rub it on body from neck down for itching and let it sit on your body for 8 hours. Itch is nearly non-existent, wear your clothes continue life; repeat next three days and it should be close to gone if non-existent. Hopefully this helps.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?