Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Itchintx, Female (Patient) Published: November 20

However unconventional, this worked for me for scabies. I had several bites that were not concentrated in one particular area (a few here, a few there). As soon as I saw one, I'd pop the pustule and swab it with alcohol. Then smother it in toothpaste and cover with a Band-Aid. The toothpaste stung a bit. Doing this helped relieve itching and smothered the mite. I kept this up while treating and haven't had any additional issues.

Comment from: Perplexed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have suffered from itchy rash for 3 and a half years in my arms, underarms, groin, back of legs, chest. After 2 and a half years I started having severe bruising with the outbreaks. Itch drove me insane at night. I was lucky to get one hour's sleep most nights. Most times went a week or more without sleep then it was back on prednisone for the itch along with 100 mg Reactine daily. Reactine did nothing. I saw many doctors and specialists including 2 dermatologists who all dismissed it as an allergy even though an allergist said it wasn't. By chance I took a nephew to a walk-in clinic and the doctor noticed my rash and right away he said you have scabies. He'd seen it hundreds of times and a lot of it lately he said. He gave me a cream and said to repeat it in 7 days. Just did the second treatment. I am hoping this is the end of it because I cannot go on living like this anymore. My life has been on hold all this time. I'd rather die than suffer another month of this. I'm done. I figure I picked this up when I went on my very first vacation. I heard afterward that the hotel was one of the ones involved with some kind of infectious outbreak. I am just perplexed why no one picked up on it at the beginning.

Comment from: aznurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I went through the traditional treatment which included ivermectin two times, Kwell ointment two times and I found what worked best was from a feed store. I tried the Nu-Stock and it worked well, it is expensive. The feed store was out of Nu-Stock so I bought M-T-G, an ointment for horses. The main ingredient is mineral oil, then sulfur. I have been using it daily for 4 days and no more bugs! It is non-toxic. Good luck there is hope!

Comment from: BLOVE, Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I just tried the vinegar, alcohol and salt and wow! This stuff did dry these little critters up. I've rested for the first time last night. I work as a teacher and I believe this is where I contacted scabies. This just happened in June but doctors don't know to look for this. My doctor thinks I'm breaking out from a reaction to a spider bite. Nothing he prescribed worked. I scrubbed with a Brillo pad first. I thought of the person who said that the salt didn't work, so I exfoliated lightly and then I blotted or soaked in the hot solution. My next quest is finding a solution for clearing the scars. I'm currently using Mederma PM.

Comment from: J_R, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I got scabies from a stray kitten that was given to my family. Cats and dogs can both contract the mite and you can get them from touching the animals. I treated the kitten with LimePlus Dip prescribed by the vet. I then washed all bedding, blankets, pillows, towels, and clothing in hot water and laundry soap that had Clorox in it. I then let them dry for an extra 30 minutes. The heat should kill them. I took a shower in water as hot as I could possibly stand it, for as long as I could stand it, and am continuing to do so. I have been told to try witch hazel which can help with the itching. Also, a diluted Clorox and water solution applied to the affected area with a cotton ball can also help to get rid of the pests. If you continue washing laundry like that and showering like that for a couple weeks, you should get rid of them. This is my second run in with them due to contact with infected animals.

Comment from: Listeningandlearning, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I went through hell with the scabies. Followed doctor's orders to a T. At my wits end, I scratched all of the blisters open, filled the tub with hot water and added a lot of Clorox. Stayed in there adding more hot water. Blotted dry. In the morning my itch and my scabies were gone. This was suggested to me by a registered nurse. Thank goodness, it worked!

Comment from: Dorothy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My son brought scabies mites home not knowing how he picked them up. He was misdiagnosed by two doctors who gave him itching crème and antibiotic which made it worse. He scratched all the bumps until it spread to his entire body, including face and scalp. He has used one dose of the mite crème which was prescribed by a doctor after I did so much research and diagnosed it as mites. The crème worked a little, he will do the second dose this week, we also used every essential oil, sulfur lotion, and Nu-Stock (diluted) which worked well. These products seem to work but very slowly. I had witch hazel at home and tried it and immediately the mites came to the top of the skin and were being killed and wiped away with the pad. I picked this up also from treating him and the witch hazel made me feel creepy to see the black spots on the pad. I think we have turned the corner of getting rid of these things by using witch hazel. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to the witch hazel. This has been a nightmare to go through, getting them out of the house has been very hard. Everyone who reads this please go buy a bottle of witch hazel in the facial cleanser department of the drug store and try to find peace in fighting these horrible things.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?