Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: anonomous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My husband and I had scabies for seven months before we found out. By then, I had infected my 2-week-old son. His rash looked so different from mine that we didn't relate them until he was 11 weeks old. All the skin problems that the whole family had suffered with was all cleared up with two applications of permethrin (5%) cream a week apart. I had the rash for most of my pregnancy. Since I was pregnant, it did not manifest itself on my hand but over my entire body. My doctor thought it was just a pregnancy rash and would go away after I had the baby, but it just changed. By the time we discovered what it was, the rash was moving toward my hands and improving on my body. My thighs, arms, and butt are covered in scares from the rash. The pregnancy hormones caused the rash to manifest itself in the opposite way it generally appears in adults.

Comment from: thereaintnobugsonme, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 04

I had scabies a few months ago and went to my doctor who said that it was poison oak rash and prescribed me prednisone. The prednisone made the symptoms go away, but the bugs were breeding like mad because my immune system was down, and I didn't itch. After a few months, I was infested and had them all over, even on the top of my head, I believe. I went to a dermatologist -- thank goodness -- and he gave me ivermectin. After two doses of that, I started to feel better. However, two months later, they started popping up again. I had not been sexually active during this time, so I know that there were still some who survived; I'm thinking the ones on my scalp. So I got some 5% permethrin cream and just completed my second application. Hopefully this will do it because this condition is utterly miserable!

Comment from: AESK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

There are a lot of treatments that are supposed to get rid of scabies but they are all quite costly. I detected those little critters on my private areas about a week ago. As they spread, the itching increased considerably, especially at night. I read of someone using both Lysol and Bengay as a treatment so I thought I would try it after my next shower. Surprisingly the Lysol was cool and refreshing on my skin. The Bengay was not bad until it got too close to my testicles. It burned for a little while but that was all. The scabies stopped itching the next day and were totally gone by the third day. I am here to say that this treatment worked!

Comment from: Laura k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was horrified by the diagnosis of scabies and have covered every inch of skin with the cream prescribed by my doctor. About three months ago I attended a family picnic of about 70 people. It was hot and everyone was in tank tops and sweaty... didn't stop them from hugging. This had to be the cause. I can't wait for the itching to stop!

Comment from: Natalie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My son was diagnosed with scabies about 1 ½ months ago. We used the cream and treated him twice and he still is miserable. We called the doctor again and he called in an antibiotic for him and a different cream. We have done this and took all of the medicine and used the cream and he is still miserable. I even gave him Benadryl and he is miserable. I treated the house as directed. We see a dermatologist in a few weeks. We could use some help before then, though.

Comment from: tleeg1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I noticed a small itchy area when staying temporarily at a men's shelter. I moved into a motel room but the itching remained. I went to the doctor, thinking it was bed bugs. I've had two rounds of prednisone, but we are all afraid of prolonged use of steroids. I have gone through three tubes of a prescription ointment. I tried loratadine and the rash seems worse. I am at my wit's end – I can't sleep. I put ice in a washcloth and that helps a bit. I've tried scalding hot showers. I think now its scabies.

Comment from: RhondaFaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Working as a nurse, I came in contact with this little bug in the hospital. I also use holistic medicine for most of my problems. I have found that dry wood ash is very effective against scabies. You can build a campfire outside and use the cooled dry ashes on your skin just like baby powder. Gently apply the cool ash powder on any bumps or itchy places as often as you want. It soothes the itching as well as smothering the bug. You can apply it to open sores as well as new bumps. You cannot see the ash on your skin, and it washes out of clothing easily. You can do this several times a day for at least a month; to be sure you're killing all the bugs. You can use it longer if you need to.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?