Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Trishia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had scabies since I was about 14 years old I am now 28 about to be 29. I still yet have not found something to get rid of them but I just found out 2 years ago what it is. The doctors thought it was all sorts of things. At first it was just on my left knee for years and years and now the last 8 months on since I did my first treatment with permethrin cream, they are spreading everywhere. I have them bad all over my knee and now even worse, on my right arm and now a little on my left arm and my hands. And I just did another treatment and it is starting to spread down my leg and hands etc. It is horrible. It itches all the time and I am constantly washing my hands. But I have never heard of any of the things that you guys have tried. So maybe there is hope. I almost was about to give up on it but now I can't but now since it spread to my arms my little girl now has it and she is only 1 year old, and now my husband has also gotten it as well. But theirs is not a bad case yet! And I am not sure what do with my little girl because I don't know or think I can put vinegar, sea salt or alcohol on her like that as she has very sensitive skin I am very stressed out over it. And it seems like every time I do a treatment on her or myself they spread even more. I also have a cat and I don't really know how to go about treating him. And I don't want it to keep going back and forth I just want it gone. I have lost hope in getting rid of these things.

Comment from: savannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Whatever you do, do not put salt directly to the skin and let it sit. I did this thinking that it would be more potent to the scabies mites, but it only irritated my skin even further. I am still trying to find out something that will work for me. Best of luck!

Comment from: Chriso, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I just applied vinegar and sea salt mixture to my husband for scabies and he says he really burns. But this is probably a good sign that it is working. He is in a very hot shower now and then we are going to the beach to soak in salt water for 15 minutes or so.

Comment from: Dnblalock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had a rash for nine months. I saw the primary care physician who put me on steroids, then did my follow-up only for it to show up broken out again. He gave me another round of steroids and sent me to an allergist because half was rash and half were hives. I was given hydroxyzine, Elocon, Singulair, cetirizine, betamethasone, doxepin and nine more rounds of steroids. I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) three times and finally the third time they admitted me for extremely high doses of steroids (only to go through an IV). Each release I had a new round of steroids, except the last time in I was put on a three weeks course of them. I was also given antibiotics since my sores were huge and infected. Hospital told me to see a rheumatologist and a dermatologist. Rheumatology did large amounts of blood work. Finally got into dermatology two weeks ago, only to be told it was most likely scabies, although none showed up under microscope after scraping my skin with the knife. I did the two treatments, essential oils and witch hazel. Still no hope for me. It turns out I'm allergic to the little bugs and that's why no one could make a diagnosis. The hives were throwing everyone. I have new breakouts and new hives. All my sores are exactly where they say scabies broke out, but the annoying things must like me a lot. I am about ready to jump into fire and burn these things. Seriously these things are crazy.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief from scabies. I was on fire till I did this; some older spots need rubbing alcohol. Soak the area with paper towel for instant relief, older spots affected may need more applications.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Hydrogen peroxide works for scabies. Soak a paper towel and lay on affected area. You will get immediate relief although it may have to be done several times; the poor man's way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: SuzzBark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had scabies for over 6 months. I have been to several doctors. In reality the products prescribed only works for a short while. I have tried so many things but in the end only a few things worked for me. I bathed in bleach every night and applied my own mixed cream (citronella oil, calamine lotion and benzyl benzoate with a base cream. I recovered with no re-infestation. Scabies puts a person through agony and I check every single day for marks or bumps. Don't allow it to infest you again.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?