Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Jay, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

The best thing I did was finally go to the doctor after two years of trying to treat multiple symptoms of scabies myself. I quarantined myself and I was careful as much as possible to avoid contaminating anything.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief from scabies. I was on fire till I did this; some older spots need rubbing alcohol. Soak the area with paper towel for instant relief, older spots affected may need more applications.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Hydrogen peroxide works for scabies. Soak a paper towel and lay on affected area. You will get immediate relief although it may have to be done several times; the poor man's way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: SuzzBark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had scabies for over 6 months. I have been to several doctors. In reality the products prescribed only works for a short while. I have tried so many things but in the end only a few things worked for me. I bathed in bleach every night and applied my own mixed cream (citronella oil, calamine lotion and benzyl benzoate with a base cream. I recovered with no re-infestation. Scabies puts a person through agony and I check every single day for marks or bumps. Don't allow it to infest you again.

Comment from: lcase, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My husband had scabies last year, I did a little research and found that taking a hot bath with 1 to 2 cups of salt in it got rid of the scabies. He took a bath every night for a week and it cured him. But we had to wash everything with hot water or bag everything else for 3 days to kill all the scabies in the house.

Comment from: itchnomore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I figured I'd share how I got rid of this once I was figured out it was scabies. The telltale sign that you have this are the bumps in between your fingers and the intense itching at night. I tried every cream to stop the itching, nothing seemed to work. The only meaningful thing that stopped itching was a liberal amount of tee tree oil. At first I went to a sauna, as the heat is supposed to kill the mites. I didn't really work. Then I went to a dermatologist and received both the oral medication and the cream. That day I took the pills, bought new clothes for the next 3 days, separately bagged them, and applied the cream on myself overnight. The pills are supposed to work within three days, so I stayed in different hotels all three days. My plan seemed to work, as I only have crazy scars that occasionally itch, and this was 2 months ago. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Itchintx, Female (Patient) Published: November 20

However unconventional, this worked for me for scabies. I had several bites that were not concentrated in one particular area (a few here, a few there). As soon as I saw one, I'd pop the pustule and swab it with alcohol. Then smother it in toothpaste and cover with a Band-Aid. The toothpaste stung a bit. Doing this helped relieve itching and smothered the mite. I kept this up while treating and haven't had any additional issues.

Comment from: Perplexed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have suffered from itchy rash for 3 and a half years in my arms, underarms, groin, back of legs, chest. After 2 and a half years I started having severe bruising with the outbreaks. Itch drove me insane at night. I was lucky to get one hour's sleep most nights. Most times went a week or more without sleep then it was back on prednisone for the itch along with 100 mg Reactine daily. Reactine did nothing. I saw many doctors and specialists including 2 dermatologists who all dismissed it as an allergy even though an allergist said it wasn't. By chance I took a nephew to a walk-in clinic and the doctor noticed my rash and right away he said you have scabies. He'd seen it hundreds of times and a lot of it lately he said. He gave me a cream and said to repeat it in 7 days. Just did the second treatment. I am hoping this is the end of it because I cannot go on living like this anymore. My life has been on hold all this time. I'd rather die than suffer another month of this. I'm done. I figure I picked this up when I went on my very first vacation. I heard afterward that the hotel was one of the ones involved with some kind of infectious outbreak. I am just perplexed why no one picked up on it at the beginning.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?