Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Mr. Scabie Mite, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Ivermectin and a hair dryer cured my scabies after one full year! I tried everything else; cleaned house and cars from top to bottom, dusted everything with DE (diatomaceous earth), sealed unused clothes in plastic bags, high heat washer and dryer, permethrin cream several weeks in a row, hat sauce, hydrogen peroxide; you name it! I spent thousands on permethrin cream and ivermectin pills. Nothing worked! I took horse paste Ivermectin in a ratio with my body weight, bought industrial permethrin and mixed with water for spray on specific areas, and used a number 1875 hair dryer on areas that itched for as long as I could bear the pain instead of scratching! Finally, after one full year of agony these things are dead! I would not wish them on my worst enemy! I am out of work and depressed over the torment the tenacious little creatures put me through! All the money on earth is not worth losing your health. I hope this works for you. Peace be with you.

Comment from: h8tescabs, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 04

Ice and heat will put scabies on the run, and give you some relief, but it will not kill them out for good. I am still working on that. I have ordered some permethrin 10 and baby lotion to make my own salve. I will try to get back on here and let you know how it works.

Comment from: Trishia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had scabies since I was about 14 years old I am now 28 about to be 29. I still yet have not found something to get rid of them but I just found out 2 years ago what it is. The doctors thought it was all sorts of things. At first it was just on my left knee for years and years and now the last 8 months on since I did my first treatment with permethrin cream, they are spreading everywhere. I have them bad all over my knee and now even worse, on my right arm and now a little on my left arm and my hands. And I just did another treatment and it is starting to spread down my leg and hands etc. It is horrible. It itches all the time and I am constantly washing my hands. But I have never heard of any of the things that you guys have tried. So maybe there is hope. I almost was about to give up on it but now I can't but now since it spread to my arms my little girl now has it and she is only 1 year old, and now my husband has also gotten it as well. But theirs is not a bad case yet! And I am not sure what do with my little girl because I don't know or think I can put vinegar, sea salt or alcohol on her like that as she has very sensitive skin I am very stressed out over it. And it seems like every time I do a treatment on her or myself they spread even more. I also have a cat and I don't really know how to go about treating him. And I don't want it to keep going back and forth I just want it gone. I have lost hope in getting rid of these things.

Comment from: savannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Whatever you do, do not put salt directly to the skin and let it sit. I did this thinking that it would be more potent to the scabies mites, but it only irritated my skin even further. I am still trying to find out something that will work for me. Best of luck!

Comment from: rongalap, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I finally got rid of those little creatures. I tried several ointments and baths with borax and hydrogen peroxide for scabies. No success. I ended up making a paste of diatomaceous earth and olive oil. Scabies were gone in a week.

Comment from: Dnblalock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had a rash for nine months. I saw the primary care physician who put me on steroids, then did my follow-up only for it to show up broken out again. He gave me another round of steroids and sent me to an allergist because half was rash and half were hives. I was given hydroxyzine, Elocon, Singulair, cetirizine, betamethasone, doxepin and nine more rounds of steroids. I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) three times and finally the third time they admitted me for extremely high doses of steroids (only to go through an IV). Each release I had a new round of steroids, except the last time in I was put on a three weeks course of them. I was also given antibiotics since my sores were huge and infected. Hospital told me to see a rheumatologist and a dermatologist. Rheumatology did large amounts of blood work. Finally got into dermatology two weeks ago, only to be told it was most likely scabies, although none showed up under microscope after scraping my skin with the knife. I did the two treatments, essential oils and witch hazel. Still no hope for me. It turns out I'm allergic to the little bugs and that's why no one could make a diagnosis. The hives were throwing everyone. I have new breakouts and new hives. All my sores are exactly where they say scabies broke out, but the annoying things must like me a lot. I am about ready to jump into fire and burn these things. Seriously these things are crazy.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?