Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Trishia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had scabies since I was about 14 years old I am now 28 about to be 29. I still yet have not found something to get rid of them but I just found out 2 years ago what it is. The doctors thought it was all sorts of things. At first it was just on my left knee for years and years and now the last 8 months on since I did my first treatment with permethrin cream, they are spreading everywhere. I have them bad all over my knee and now even worse, on my right arm and now a little on my left arm and my hands. And I just did another treatment and it is starting to spread down my leg and hands etc. It is horrible. It itches all the time and I am constantly washing my hands. But I have never heard of any of the things that you guys have tried. So maybe there is hope. I almost was about to give up on it but now I can't but now since it spread to my arms my little girl now has it and she is only 1 year old, and now my husband has also gotten it as well. But theirs is not a bad case yet! And I am not sure what do with my little girl because I don't know or think I can put vinegar, sea salt or alcohol on her like that as she has very sensitive skin I am very stressed out over it. And it seems like every time I do a treatment on her or myself they spread even more. I also have a cat and I don't really know how to go about treating him. And I don't want it to keep going back and forth I just want it gone. I have lost hope in getting rid of these things.

Comment from: savannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Whatever you do, do not put salt directly to the skin and let it sit. I did this thinking that it would be more potent to the scabies mites, but it only irritated my skin even further. I am still trying to find out something that will work for me. Best of luck!

Comment from: Chriso, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I just applied vinegar and sea salt mixture to my husband for scabies and he says he really burns. But this is probably a good sign that it is working. He is in a very hot shower now and then we are going to the beach to soak in salt water for 15 minutes or so.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief from scabies. I was on fire till I did this; some older spots need rubbing alcohol. Soak the area with paper towel for instant relief, older spots affected may need more applications.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Hydrogen peroxide works for scabies. Soak a paper towel and lay on affected area. You will get immediate relief although it may have to be done several times; the poor man's way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: SuzzBark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had scabies for over 6 months. I have been to several doctors. In reality the products prescribed only works for a short while. I have tried so many things but in the end only a few things worked for me. I bathed in bleach every night and applied my own mixed cream (citronella oil, calamine lotion and benzyl benzoate with a base cream. I recovered with no re-infestation. Scabies puts a person through agony and I check every single day for marks or bumps. Don't allow it to infest you again.

Comment from: lcase, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My husband had scabies last year, I did a little research and found that taking a hot bath with 1 to 2 cups of salt in it got rid of the scabies. He took a bath every night for a week and it cured him. But we had to wash everything with hot water or bag everything else for 3 days to kill all the scabies in the house.

Comment from: itchnomore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I figured I'd share how I got rid of this once I was figured out it was scabies. The telltale sign that you have this are the bumps in between your fingers and the intense itching at night. I tried every cream to stop the itching, nothing seemed to work. The only meaningful thing that stopped itching was a liberal amount of tee tree oil. At first I went to a sauna, as the heat is supposed to kill the mites. I didn't really work. Then I went to a dermatologist and received both the oral medication and the cream. That day I took the pills, bought new clothes for the next 3 days, separately bagged them, and applied the cream on myself overnight. The pills are supposed to work within three days, so I stayed in different hotels all three days. My plan seemed to work, as I only have crazy scars that occasionally itch, and this was 2 months ago. Hope this helps.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?