Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: BELIEVER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Scabies was 3 months of hell. Really. Anyone that's had it knows. I have a low immune system maybe why I got it much worse than my child (we think we caught it from the next door neighbor's dog, as they wrapped furniture outside in plastic and took off for 2 weeks and came back with shaved heads). Cost me $500 and lost work. It was a nightmare. I want to add ivermectin was what turned the tide after 3 months. Still doing most of the protocol. Still have some itching in eyebrows and scalp, which I coat at night with coconut oil. Works wonders. I also was spot treating any itch with an alcohol swab. Really works. Getting rid of this nightmare is like a full time job. Be vigilant. Bag everything you can in plastic bags. Treat and retreat. Diatomaceous earth is your friend. Buy food grade.

Comment from: MissC, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

One of my teenagers had a friend who kept getting re-infested with scabies, then re-infesting us. I finally had enough and told my teen to tell his friend to please bug bomb as part of the treatment (flea bomb his house). Along with laundering everything, vacuuming all carpets, encasing all bed mattresses with a hypo-allergenic shell (inexpensive through Walmart), and treating with the cream (we have to leave it on longer than directed or it doesn't work), the bombing finishes what cleaning misses. My mother's care home has just been diagnosed with an outbreak, and they have need of less harmful products. There's now a product line called Cedar Bug Free that looks promising.

Comment from: I hate Itching, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I got scabies from my grandkids. I have found that a 1/4 cup of Boric Acid 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 2 cups of warm water put into a spray bottle does give some relief. What I've read the Permethrin cream is a joke. Also tea tree oil works well, it just takes time. I don't believe a nuclear blast can kill this junk. Still itching.

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn't really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: May 06

I have had scabies for about six months. I saw the doctor, and he prescribed permethrin cream. That worked OK, but I kept getting re-infected. I treated my shoes with insecticide, and that helped for a while. I found some encapsulated scabies in my favorite leather chair. I think this is how I kept getting re-infected. After I would sit in the chair for a while, I could feel them on my skin again. I used Borax on my chair, and hopefully it will kill the capsulated creeps.

Comment from: Vertige, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I'm still perplexed as to how I got scabies. I was in a long-term relationship that ended, and my partner and I still speak regularly. He has not had scabies, and I have not had sexual contact with anyone else, yet I can't get rid of it. I'm on my fifth tube of 5% permethrin (and a sixth one ready to go in a week's time). All this permethrin does is keep the scabies at bay, but I always get re-infected. I'm tired of cleaning the house from top to bottom to get rid of the scabies. I even tried sleeping on the floor for two weeks with new bedding and didn't sit on any of the furniture, and I still got re-infected.

Comment from: pros, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have what I believe is Norwegian crusted scabies; and caught this infestation about 5 months ago. At first I developed 2 crusty lesions on my back that itched and burned. Then they began making long "scratch-like” burrows (where they lay their eggs) mostly on my back, flanks and stomach. I tried many topical medications: permethrin, Kwell, and a home-made sulfur cream. These helped some, but did not rid me of the pests. I developed burrows in my vagina and noticed eggs and black larvae in my stool.( my fiance has been in the medical profession for over 25 years and has a microscope at home which we used to id the mites). Only when I began taking ivermectin did I start to have real relief; but the amount prescribed isn't enough to completely rid me of this infestation. I believe that the amount needed is more like 0.25 milligrams up to 0.5 milligrams per kg of body weight. With the technology that we have today it is ashamed that a mite is allowed to cause such misery.

Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?