Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Comment from: litttlemama, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have scabies and the only way I could have gotten it was at a hair cutting business. They put a tiny piece of paper around your neck and then that plastic cape. That's where I got it first, on my neck, so beware men, women and children!

Comment from: Ethel S., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I'm a foster parent and I kept a 3 month old baby for one week because his foster mother went on vacation. The foster mother told me that the baby had a rash but she didn't know what it was. She thought maybe it was eczema but it wasn't. The condition was also making her itch and she showed me a few healed scars. I came home with the baby and when it became night time to put him to bed I noticed he had broken out with scabies all over his body. He went back home but now I'm itching. I was prescribed permethrin but it's not helping me.

Comment from: Outoftheblue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I believe I got it from my 6 year old son who lives with his mother. She mentioned he was itching around the last week of March. After looking at him on April 4th and searching online I quickly came to think scabies. The burrows and tiny skin colored bumps in a line were present. I finally went back to the same doctor on June 5th because the itching got to the point where I was unable to sleep at night and the doctor believes it was scabies. He prescribed permethrin cream for me and my son.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

Treating scabies is easy. Permethrin, hot water and high heat drying of laundry. The mites will die within 48 to 72 hours without a host. Dogs have a mite called the mange mite. It can get on you but it does not survive or multiply on human hosts and the scabies mites like humans, but will not survive on animals (different body temperatures). I have not been sexually active for years and I live alone. You can get them from sitting in a seat from another person. If that were not true then why would you need to wash all your bed sheets and clothes? That makes me very angry because it is not just an STD because why would daycares and nursing homes have scabies outbreaks! I drive a truck and we slip seat trucks. That means we do not get the same truck each day. I now spray the seats with Rid spray and cover it with a plastic seat cover. Yes it is contagious and you can get it from sources other than human contact.

Comment from: GailD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I spent the Thanksgiving weekend 350 miles from home visiting family in Pompano Beach. We stayed 4 nights in a motel. One month later I started itching but it was on my legs. In January I saw my primary care physician, who prescribed antibiotic for the rash. I then went to the dermatologists 3 times. They did do a biopsy the second time and the result was "contact dermatitis and eczema." They prescribed a lotion to rub on my areas of rash. I went to see my PC physician last Tuesday and she asked if I"d been diagnosed with scabies. I said "No, but two months ago when I had my dog at the vet I asked her to do a skin scraping," knowing that she was not allowed to, but I think that was when I first thought I might have scabies. On Tuesday I started the skin medication, prednisone tablets and an antihistamine for relief of the itches. It"s horrible, and on top of it the Center for Disease Control (CDC) claims it is a sexually transmitted disease (STD), which infuriates me, because I know I didn"t do anything of that nature. Oh, well, hopefully I"ll start getting better.

Comment from: Jean smith, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have scabies rash over my hands, abdomen, and top of legs. It is itching a lot, red and angry.

Comment from: Misenhelterj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

This is response to the person saying you can't get scabies on your head or scalp. You can in fact get scabies on your head and scalp. It is just typically a place children can get them. My entire family is going through treatment for scabies. My hubby, my oldest (9), and I don't have them on our scalps but my 2 year old does.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?