Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Comment from: GailD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I spent the Thanksgiving weekend 350 miles from home visiting family in Pompano Beach. We stayed 4 nights in a motel. One month later I started itching but it was on my legs. In January I saw my primary care physician, who prescribed antibiotic for the rash. I then went to the dermatologists 3 times. They did do a biopsy the second time and the result was "contact dermatitis and eczema." They prescribed a lotion to rub on my areas of rash. I went to see my PC physician last Tuesday and she asked if I"d been diagnosed with scabies. I said "No, but two months ago when I had my dog at the vet I asked her to do a skin scraping," knowing that she was not allowed to, but I think that was when I first thought I might have scabies. On Tuesday I started the skin medication, prednisone tablets and an antihistamine for relief of the itches. It"s horrible, and on top of it the Center for Disease Control (CDC) claims it is a sexually transmitted disease (STD), which infuriates me, because I know I didn"t do anything of that nature. Oh, well, hopefully I"ll start getting better.

Comment from: scabies arghhh!, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

You can"t get scabies from your pets, they don"t get scabies; it"s called mange and does not transfer to humans nor from humans to pets. Scabies do not live on your head or above your neck if your scalp is itchy it"s something else. Try Calamine lotion for the itch and talk to your doctor about topical or oral treatments, not every treatment may work for every patient. Be diligent, scabies mites don"t live off the body for very long maybe 20-30 hours tops. If you think you got infected by sitting on a bus bench you didn"t. Scabies mites don"t jump or fly. I am not trying to state that people here aren"t infected and going through terrible itching episodes just that you need to know what you have and how to treat it before you go spreading around that someone walked by you in the hallway and now you are infected, it just doesn"t happen. Do your research and speak with your doctor. It does suck but it will pass. Good luck to everyone that is dealing with this nightmare.

Comment from: Johnny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I contracted scabies by having sexual intercourse with someone who had already had it. It started on my genital area, so my initial reaction was that I had herpes. But it quickly spread to my legs, backside and stomach. Soon my hands and feet were covered too. Treat this thing quickly!

Comment from: ojosblu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Scabies are absolutely able to pass from pets to people. I adopted a dog from a shelter, and I began itching shortly after he started sleeping on my bed. We are both on medication for scabies.

Comment from: Teach1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a creature of habit; I go to work as a second grade teacher and I go home. I got scabies about 8 weeks into the school year last year; and 4 more times after that. Never got re-infected when summer hit, but new school year and now I have it again after almost 6 months of nothing. I am still unsure of who I am getting this from. My fiancé and family have never shown signs. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Comment from: ltcnurse, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I contracted this from patients in a nursing home. I was treated with permethrin. Two and a half weeks later visited a patient in a different nursing home whose spouse and himself both had scabies and a few days later I had it again.

Comment from: Johm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I stayed at a cheap hotel for two months. I am positive I got it from the bed. I will never try to economize like that again.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?