Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Comment from: scabies arghhh!, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

You can"t get scabies from your pets, they don"t get scabies; it"s called mange and does not transfer to humans nor from humans to pets. Scabies do not live on your head or above your neck if your scalp is itchy it"s something else. Try Calamine lotion for the itch and talk to your doctor about topical or oral treatments, not every treatment may work for every patient. Be diligent, scabies mites don"t live off the body for very long maybe 20-30 hours tops. If you think you got infected by sitting on a bus bench you didn"t. Scabies mites don"t jump or fly. I am not trying to state that people here aren"t infected and going through terrible itching episodes just that you need to know what you have and how to treat it before you go spreading around that someone walked by you in the hallway and now you are infected, it just doesn"t happen. Do your research and speak with your doctor. It does suck but it will pass. Good luck to everyone that is dealing with this nightmare.

Comment from: Johnny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I contracted scabies by having sexual intercourse with someone who had already had it. It started on my genital area, so my initial reaction was that I had herpes. But it quickly spread to my legs, backside and stomach. Soon my hands and feet were covered too. Treat this thing quickly!

Comment from: ojosblu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Scabies are absolutely able to pass from pets to people. I adopted a dog from a shelter, and I began itching shortly after he started sleeping on my bed. We are both on medication for scabies.

Comment from: Teach1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a creature of habit; I go to work as a second grade teacher and I go home. I got scabies about 8 weeks into the school year last year; and 4 more times after that. Never got re-infected when summer hit, but new school year and now I have it again after almost 6 months of nothing. I am still unsure of who I am getting this from. My fiancé and family have never shown signs. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Comment from: ltcnurse, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I contracted this from patients in a nursing home. I was treated with permethrin. Two and a half weeks later visited a patient in a different nursing home whose spouse and himself both had scabies and a few days later I had it again.

Comment from: Johm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I stayed at a cheap hotel for two months. I am positive I got it from the bed. I will never try to economize like that again.

Published: July 30

From an infected kitten. All my inside cats got it, and i did too.

Comment from: a parent concern, 3-6 Female Published: May 09

My 3-year-old daughter contracted scabies – maybe through daycare, from other kids, or from a dog. When she sleeps, she digs deep in her skin to scratch. She has terrible scars and I'm wondering if this is a disease she will have throughout her life. If anyone knows of treatments that are effective, please share.

Comment from: ckrich1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been diagnosed with scabies. I was wondering why my husband doesn't have it, especially since you can have it for up to two months before an outbreak. Can one be a carrier but not get the rash or itching, etc.?

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?