Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Comment from: Outoftheblue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I believe I got it from my 6 year old son who lives with his mother. She mentioned he was itching around the last week of March. After looking at him on April 4th and searching online I quickly came to think scabies. The burrows and tiny skin colored bumps in a line were present. I finally went back to the same doctor on June 5th because the itching got to the point where I was unable to sleep at night and the doctor believes it was scabies. He prescribed permethrin cream for me and my son.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

Treating scabies is easy. Permethrin, hot water and high heat drying of laundry. The mites will die within 48 to 72 hours without a host. Dogs have a mite called the mange mite. It can get on you but it does not survive or multiply on human hosts and the scabies mites like humans, but will not survive on animals (different body temperatures). I have not been sexually active for years and I live alone. You can get them from sitting in a seat from another person. If that were not true then why would you need to wash all your bed sheets and clothes? That makes me very angry because it is not just an STD because why would daycares and nursing homes have scabies outbreaks! I drive a truck and we slip seat trucks. That means we do not get the same truck each day. I now spray the seats with Rid spray and cover it with a plastic seat cover. Yes it is contagious and you can get it from sources other than human contact.

Comment from: GailD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I spent the Thanksgiving weekend 350 miles from home visiting family in Pompano Beach. We stayed 4 nights in a motel. One month later I started itching but it was on my legs. In January I saw my primary care physician, who prescribed antibiotic for the rash. I then went to the dermatologists 3 times. They did do a biopsy the second time and the result was "contact dermatitis and eczema." They prescribed a lotion to rub on my areas of rash. I went to see my PC physician last Tuesday and she asked if I"d been diagnosed with scabies. I said "No, but two months ago when I had my dog at the vet I asked her to do a skin scraping," knowing that she was not allowed to, but I think that was when I first thought I might have scabies. On Tuesday I started the skin medication, prednisone tablets and an antihistamine for relief of the itches. It"s horrible, and on top of it the Center for Disease Control (CDC) claims it is a sexually transmitted disease (STD), which infuriates me, because I know I didn"t do anything of that nature. Oh, well, hopefully I"ll start getting better.

Comment from: scabies arghhh!, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

You can"t get scabies from your pets, they don"t get scabies; it"s called mange and does not transfer to humans nor from humans to pets. Scabies do not live on your head or above your neck if your scalp is itchy it"s something else. Try Calamine lotion for the itch and talk to your doctor about topical or oral treatments, not every treatment may work for every patient. Be diligent, scabies mites don"t live off the body for very long maybe 20-30 hours tops. If you think you got infected by sitting on a bus bench you didn"t. Scabies mites don"t jump or fly. I am not trying to state that people here aren"t infected and going through terrible itching episodes just that you need to know what you have and how to treat it before you go spreading around that someone walked by you in the hallway and now you are infected, it just doesn"t happen. Do your research and speak with your doctor. It does suck but it will pass. Good luck to everyone that is dealing with this nightmare.

Comment from: Johnny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I contracted scabies by having sexual intercourse with someone who had already had it. It started on my genital area, so my initial reaction was that I had herpes. But it quickly spread to my legs, backside and stomach. Soon my hands and feet were covered too. Treat this thing quickly!

Comment from: CeCe, Female (Patient) Published: December 10

You can also get scabies from people if you use their items or used furniture. I didn't know, so I had to find out the hard way. I actually got it in a rare location. Apparently only children get it in this area, but I got it in the palm of my hands as well.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?