Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Comment from: scabies arghhh!, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

You can"t get scabies from your pets, they don"t get scabies; it"s called mange and does not transfer to humans nor from humans to pets. Scabies do not live on your head or above your neck if your scalp is itchy it"s something else. Try Calamine lotion for the itch and talk to your doctor about topical or oral treatments, not every treatment may work for every patient. Be diligent, scabies mites don"t live off the body for very long maybe 20-30 hours tops. If you think you got infected by sitting on a bus bench you didn"t. Scabies mites don"t jump or fly. I am not trying to state that people here aren"t infected and going through terrible itching episodes just that you need to know what you have and how to treat it before you go spreading around that someone walked by you in the hallway and now you are infected, it just doesn"t happen. Do your research and speak with your doctor. It does suck but it will pass. Good luck to everyone that is dealing with this nightmare.

Comment from: Johnny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I contracted scabies by having sexual intercourse with someone who had already had it. It started on my genital area, so my initial reaction was that I had herpes. But it quickly spread to my legs, backside and stomach. Soon my hands and feet were covered too. Treat this thing quickly!

Comment from: ojosblu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Scabies are absolutely able to pass from pets to people. I adopted a dog from a shelter, and I began itching shortly after he started sleeping on my bed. We are both on medication for scabies.

Comment from: Teach1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a creature of habit; I go to work as a second grade teacher and I go home. I got scabies about 8 weeks into the school year last year; and 4 more times after that. Never got re-infected when summer hit, but new school year and now I have it again after almost 6 months of nothing. I am still unsure of who I am getting this from. My fiancé and family have never shown signs. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Comment from: ltcnurse, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I contracted this from patients in a nursing home. I was treated with permethrin. Two and a half weeks later visited a patient in a different nursing home whose spouse and himself both had scabies and a few days later I had it again.

Comment from: CeCe, Female (Patient) Published: December 10

You can also get scabies from people if you use their items or used furniture. I didn't know, so I had to find out the hard way. I actually got it in a rare location. Apparently only children get it in this area, but I got it in the palm of my hands as well.

Comment from: Ginger, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am a 77 year old retired nurse who lives alone with my dog. Mites can live 72 hours. Scabies is resisting treatments with permethrin. If you google www.pub.med, you will find studies that indicate only about 50% of the mites are killed the first time. You need a second treatment about a week later. Also in research sulfur 8% and 10% is a less toxic approach. I used both permethrin and sulfur soap as the itching was persistent. It helped control the painful itching. Transfer is possible to your dog as you pet him with your infected hand. This is a terrifying experience as you feel it will never end and it is painful for me.

Comment from: Johm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I stayed at a cheap hotel for two months. I am positive I got it from the bed. I will never try to economize like that again.

Published: July 30

From an infected kitten. All my inside cats got it, and i did too.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?