Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Published: July 30

From an infected kitten. All my inside cats got it, and i did too.

Comment from: a parent concern, 3-6 Female Published: May 09

My 3-year-old daughter contracted scabies – maybe through daycare, from other kids, or from a dog. When she sleeps, she digs deep in her skin to scratch. She has terrible scars and I'm wondering if this is a disease she will have throughout her life. If anyone knows of treatments that are effective, please share.

Comment from: ckrich1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been diagnosed with scabies. I was wondering why my husband doesn't have it, especially since you can have it for up to two months before an outbreak. Can one be a carrier but not get the rash or itching, etc.?

Comment from: Scabies suck, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have scabies on my scalp, I think because my doctor told me only to treat my body from my neck down. I feel things crawling on my scalp and my hair has been falling out. I want to know how scabies can be that smart that they know how old you are. My doctor says that scabies only infect children and the elderly. That is not true – scabies will go wherever the medicine has not been applied.

Comment from: Drbob, (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I am a dentist, monogamous, and do not share clothing or towels/personal items with anyone. About 20 years ago I contracted scabies. The closest contact I have is with patients, but very little, if any, skin-to-skin contact. I contracted symptoms before my wife did, so she did not transmit it to me. Treatment was easy and straightforward, so getting rid of the scabies was quick once the diagnosis was made. These little buggers are terrible. So, casual contact can transmit them.

Comment from: nanaboss, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

We have no idea how we contacted scabies. We thought it was from kittens rescued from under a house but all the research says cat mites cannot be transferred to adults. I wish we knew because my entire family, except 1 person has been struggling with this awful infestation. My 20 months granddaughter has had it the worse and after 3 months of torture and scars we are praying and finally it worked for her. It seems to be over for her. My daughter and 2 of her sons have had it but not as bad. Now I have it and I'm covered head to toe. It's awful. I just started the cream yesterday. The worse is that I cannot see my grandkids because I do not want to re-infect them. Note: One of my grandsons has never had a single sore. I'm so glad he does not have scabies.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?