Patient Comments: Scabies - How it's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies?

Comment from: Ginger, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am a 77 year old retired nurse who lives alone with my dog. Mites can live 72 hours. Scabies is resisting treatments with permethrin. If you google, you will find studies that indicate only about 50% of the mites are killed the first time. You need a second treatment about a week later. Also in research sulfur 8% and 10% is a less toxic approach. I used both permethrin and sulfur soap as the itching was persistent. It helped control the painful itching. Transfer is possible to your dog as you pet him with your infected hand. This is a terrifying experience as you feel it will never end and it is painful for me.

Comment from: ojosblu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Scabies are absolutely able to pass from pets to people. I adopted a dog from a shelter, and I began itching shortly after he started sleeping on my bed. We are both on medication for scabies.

Comment from: Teach1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a creature of habit; I go to work as a second grade teacher and I go home. I got scabies about 8 weeks into the school year last year; and 4 more times after that. Never got re-infected when summer hit, but new school year and now I have it again after almost 6 months of nothing. I am still unsure of who I am getting this from. My fiancé and family have never shown signs. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Comment from: ltcnurse, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I contracted this from patients in a nursing home. I was treated with permethrin. Two and a half weeks later visited a patient in a different nursing home whose spouse and himself both had scabies and a few days later I had it again.

Comment from: Johm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I stayed at a cheap hotel for two months. I am positive I got it from the bed. I will never try to economize like that again.

Published: July 30

From an infected kitten. All my inside cats got it, and i did too.

Comment from: a parent concern, 3-6 Female Published: May 09

My 3-year-old daughter contracted scabies – maybe through daycare, from other kids, or from a dog. When she sleeps, she digs deep in her skin to scratch. She has terrible scars and I'm wondering if this is a disease she will have throughout her life. If anyone knows of treatments that are effective, please share.

Comment from: ckrich1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been diagnosed with scabies. I was wondering why my husband doesn't have it, especially since you can have it for up to two months before an outbreak. Can one be a carrier but not get the rash or itching, etc.?

Comment from: Scabies suck, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have scabies on my scalp, I think because my doctor told me only to treat my body from my neck down. I feel things crawling on my scalp and my hair has been falling out. I want to know how scabies can be that smart that they know how old you are. My doctor says that scabies only infect children and the elderly. That is not true – scabies will go wherever the medicine has not been applied.

Comment from: Drbob, (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I am a dentist, monogamous, and do not share clothing or towels/personal items with anyone. About 20 years ago I contracted scabies. The closest contact I have is with patients, but very little, if any, skin-to-skin contact. I contracted symptoms before my wife did, so she did not transmit it to me. Treatment was easy and straightforward, so getting rid of the scabies was quick once the diagnosis was made. These little buggers are terrible. So, casual contact can transmit them.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - Causes Question: What caused your scabies?