Patient Comments: Scabies - Causes

What caused your scabies?

Comment from: Gorow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My scabies incident began after a plane trip. The itching started at the back of my neck and I thought it was because of a new shampoo I had just bought. Within a few weeks my upper torso was infected and the itching was horrendous. My husband began itching soon, mostly around the waist. We both were effectively treated with the permethrin cream. I'm certain I got the scabies from the airplane seat.

Comment from: Twinny2009, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I am a school nurse and observed a brother and sister who had scabies and sent them home. Two months later I have it even though I washed my hands and used gloves.

Comment from: Down With Scabies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I used to be a dog groomer, so when my mom's dog started scratching a lot for a few days recently, my mother asked me to check her for fleas. I found no fleas, and had no ideas about the potential for the dog having scabies! A day or so later, I started itching on my neck near my hairline. Now I have itching and red spots on my hands and at the top of my back, and my neck itches like crazy at night. I guess I'm off to the doctor as soon as I can get an appointment.

Comment from: setter mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

The mites can transmit from canines to humans, unfortunately. My dog's dermatologist told me that the rash, I thought was razor burn on my shins, was transmitted by my field Irish Setter whose condition was hidden by allergies that manifest in dermatitis and missed by his regular vet. It made perfect sense! The dog regularly curled up in the crook of my legs and the mites found a new place to settle. I'm not sure why doctors say otherwise, ask any vet and they will tell you the mite will cross species. It is maddeningly itchy as well. I am on my second treatment of Permethrin.

Comment from: lexington, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I got scabies from a pit bull puppy.

Comment from: dog lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I was at a friend's house where they had rescued two cute little puppies. They looked like they had mange, but I thought humans couldn't get mange. About a week later I talked to the dog's owner and she asked me if I got mange, I said no. The next day I had a rash all over both arms. In desperation I threw all kinds of chemicals on it, and ended up killing it with lighter fluid. I thought I was in the green except a week later I had a rash all over my torso and back, luckily I know it is scabies and will go to the doctor in the morning. I think I will get it under control, but I work at a retail store where I measure and dress people and I am too embarrassed to tell my employers in fear of losing my job, but I am tortured by the fact that I could be infecting the whole city.

Comment from: glossy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My daughter and I got a bad case of scabies when we moved into a new apartment. There were feathers in a bedroom that I cleaned up. We found out that a bird had gotten in through a window and a cat killed it. Scabies can live without a host for 90 days, so they waited in the carpet for us and we got them. Birds carry scabies.

Scabies - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?
Scabies - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash?
Scabies - How it's Contracted Question: How did you contract your scabies?