Table of Contents
- Scabies facts
- What is scabies? What causes a scabies infestation?
- How do you get scabies?
- Can you catch scabies from a dog or cat?
- What are risk factors for scabies?
- What does scabies rash look like? What are scabies symptoms and signs?
- What does scabies feel like?
- How is a scabies infestation diagnosed?
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation?
- What kind of doctor treats scabies?
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation? (Part 2)
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation? (Part 3)
- Are cases of scabies often misdiagnosed?
- What are possible complications of scabies?
- Can a scabies infestation be prevented?
- In what special situations can scabies be more easily spread?
- What is Norwegian or crusted scabies?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for scabies?
Quick GuideWhat Is Scabies? Rash, Treatment, Symptoms, Pictures
What does scabies feel like?
It is important to note that symptoms may not appear for up to two months after being infested with the scabies mite. Even though symptoms do not occur, the infested person is still able to spread scabies during this time. When symptoms develop, itching is the most common symptom of scabies. The itch of scabies is insidious and relentless and often worsens over a period of weeks. The itch is typically worse at night. For the first weeks, the itch is subtle. It then gradually becomes more intense until, after a month or two, sleep becomes almost impossible due to the intensely itchy skin.
What makes the itch of scabies distinctive is its relentless quality, at least after several weeks. Other itchy skin
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Parasites - Scabies." Nov. 2, 2010.
3.Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond Copyright 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
7.Color Atlas of Pediatric Dermatology Samuel Weinberg, Neil S. Prose, Leonard Kristal Copyright 2008, 1998, 1990, 1975, by the McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
11.iStock / CDC
14.Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine Klaus Wolff, Lowell A. Goldsmith, Stephen I. Katz, Barbara A Gilchrest, Amy S. Paller, David J. Leffell Seventh Edition Copyright 2008, 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
17.Getty Images / John Howard
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter