Table of Contents
- Scabies facts
- What is scabies? What causes a scabies infestation?
- How do you get scabies?
- Can you catch scabies from a dog or cat?
- What are risk factors for scabies?
- What does scabies rash look like? What are scabies symptoms and signs?
- What does scabies feel like?
- How is a scabies infestation diagnosed?
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation?
- What kind of doctor treats scabies?
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation? (Part 2)
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation? (Part 3)
- Are cases of scabies often misdiagnosed?
- What are possible complications of scabies?
- Can a scabies infestation be prevented?
- In what special situations can scabies be more easily spread?
- What is Norwegian or crusted scabies?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for scabies?
Quick GuideWhat Is Scabies? Rash, Treatment, Symptoms, Pictures
Can you catch scabies from a dog or cat?
Dogs and cats are infested by different types of mites than those that infect humans. Animals are not a source of spread of human scabies. Scabies on dogs is called mange and is sometimes referred to as sarcoptic mange. When canine or feline mites land on human skin, they fail to thrive and produce only a mild itch that goes away on its own. This is unlike human scabies, which gets worse and worse unless the condition is treated. Continue Reading
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Parasites - Scabies." Nov. 2, 2010.
3.Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology Klaus Wolff, Richard Allen Johnson, Dick Suurmond Copyright 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
7.Color Atlas of Pediatric Dermatology Samuel Weinberg, Neil S. Prose, Leonard Kristal Copyright 2008, 1998, 1990, 1975, by the McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
11.iStock / CDC
14.Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine Klaus Wolff, Lowell A. Goldsmith, Stephen I. Katz, Barbara A Gilchrest, Amy S. Paller, David J. Leffell Seventh Edition Copyright 2008, 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights reserved.
17.Getty Images / John Howard
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter