Patient Comments: Sarcoidosis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with sarcoidosis?

Comment from: Gary, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

My symptoms were shortness of breath, night sweats, and fatigue. I was finally correctly diagnosed in the early 1990s. I also had lymphoma and this caused some confusion among the doctors. Lung X-rays and a biopsy confirmed the sarcoidosis. Several biopsies from a lump on my neck confirmed lymphoma. The ophthalmology and pulmonary doctors monitor my lungs and eyes.

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I was officially diagnosed in September 2010 as having Sarcoid(osis). This was suspected back in May 2010 when I was diagnosed with Uveitis in both eyes. This was treated with topical steroid eye drops. However, my blood results in August showed that the Sarcoidosis had spread to my kidneys and my kidney function was down to 13%. I had an emergency kidney biopsy which confirmed the presence of granulomas in both kidneys. I was started on 60mg of Prednisone immediately. The Prednisone had some unfortunate side effects such as muscle cramps in arms and legs and some headaches. I am now down to 5mg Prednisolone per day (after 6 months) and my kidney function has improved to 43%.

Comment from: teatimewithlorry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis eight years ago, but only in the last year and half ago did I start experiencing the difficulty breathing, chest pain and constant burping upon slight exertion. I burp more than 100 times a day.

Comment from: m. Rackstraw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have recently been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. I am 40 years old, I have been suffering from weight loss, shortness of breath, chronic cough, and pain on the right side of my body (where my right lung is). I have been in so much pain for several months now, since December 2012.

Comment from: fighter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I found out in 2004 when I could not walk 10 steps without being tired that I had sarcoidosis. While driving I had to stop when I found myself having to pull over and sleep for a few minutes. Even now I cannot overdue too much and cannot enjoy the sun without breaking out in severe rash on hands and arms. My chest is always tight and I find myself needing a fan for more air daily and to try to avoid stress, for this can drain energy even more in weakness. Yet through it all, I won't give up and let it beat me.

Comment from: Irima, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

Hello I am from Romania, a country where sarcoidosis is very rare, but still it exists. 12 years ago my husband was diagnosed with this disease. At first doctors said it was cancer and he has 6 months left to live. After more investigations they finally said it was sarcoidosis (lungs were affected) and told him to take prednisone. He consulted a naturist doctor, and followed a naturist treatment, and he got well. He was 100 percent cured. Now after 12 years it seems the disease reappeared, he still needs to have some tests.

Comment from: Leila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Being a healthy 48 year old female, my ordeal started out with an annual physical, then came the mammogram that showed enlarged lymph nodes. After a breast biopsy (negative for Breast Cancer), PET Scans and two axillary lymphadenectomy, (1 right and 1 left), night sweats that I attributed to menopause (not the case). In Oct. 2011, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. After taking prednisone 20 mg for four months and not having any relief of pain or inflammation I decided to discontinue medication against my doctors advise. I also gained over 60 lbs while on steroids. My pain is as intense as it was while on prednisone.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

Looking back, I began experiencing symptoms of sarcoidosis in high school. My symptoms were shortness of breath and I never seemed to get enough sleep. I played sports all through high school and was in excellent physical condition. It wasn't until I was 24 when I was officially diagnosed with sarcoidosis. I went into the hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms. X-rays showed major damage to my lungs. Now it's six years later and I am still managing the illness.

Sarcoidosis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sarcoidosis.
Sarcoidosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for sarcoidosis? Did they help?
Sarcoidosis - Coping Question: How have you been able to cope with your sarcoidosis?