- Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Exercises to Relieve Arthritis Pain
- Quiz: What Causes RA?
- Patient Comments: SAPHO Syndrome - Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: SAPHO Syndrome - Treatment
- Find a local Rheumatologist in your town
- SAPHO syndrome facts
- What is SAPHO syndrome?
- What causes SAPHO syndrome, and what are risk factors for developing it?
- Is SAPHO syndrome related to other joint conditions?
- What are symptoms and signs of SAPHO syndrome?
- How is SAPHO syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for SAPHO syndrome?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for patients with SAPHO syndrome?
- Can SAPHO syndrome be prevented?
What is the outlook (prognosis) for patients with SAPHO syndrome?
To some degree, the outlook for patients with SAPHO syndrome is not predictable but depends on response to medications. When sulfasalazine or methotrexate quiet the symptoms and signs of inflammation, the outlook is optimal.
Can SAPHO syndrome be prevented?
Because the tendency toward developing SAPHO syndrome is inherited, it is not possible to prevent the disease at this time.
Medically reviewed by Kirkwood Johnston, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Rheumatology
Klippel, John H., et al., eds. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. 13th ed. New York: Springer and Arthritis Foundation, 2008.