Patient Comments: Salivary Gland Cancer - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your salivary gland cancer?

Comment from: gmak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I experienced a small lump on my mandible. It was sometimes painful to lay on and I had pains that shot through my jaw and neck. After asking my primary care physician about it several times over approximately 4 years I saw an ENT and a fine needle biopsy was performed. Results were suspisious so parotidectomy was done, had tumor aprox size of a small egg yolk, was acinicelladenocarcinoma, further surgery removed 7 lymph nodes (none were cancerous). Am currently 2 years cancer free.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was having right upper quadrant piercing abdominal pain. It was right below the ribcage on the right side only. I had been having it intermittently and noticed it most prominently after a meal. Palpating the area helped to relieve the pain. I went to have an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallstones and found hemangiomas instead. Associated symptoms included nausea, gas and indigestion.

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 21

I'm a female patient, age 45 with two children, nonsmoker and very healthy. I experienced very sore throat when using loud voice, and started to eat words. I was diagnosed with stage 1 adenoma carcinoma salivary gland cancer. The ENT doctor noticed a lump on my soft palate, I did not know I had a lump and I never felt a lump. I went through 2 operations to remove the tumor and second surgery was to remove the surrounding tissue. The doctors decided to hold off on radiation treatments, will be getting my throat checked every two - 3 months, or as needed, to make sure nothing is growing.

Comment from: Nean, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My husband had an ultrasound, two CAT scans, and a MRI. All presented the mass on his liver as a hemangioma. However, he has a rash and itches all the time, his liver enzymes and alpha fetoprotein enzymes are elevated. Symptoms of liver cancer, but all other liver functions are normal. After 25 blood tests, all the scans, our dr. ordered a biopsy of the liver. The radiologist biopsied the hemangioma, not the liver tissue. Good thing he did, because the hemangioma is NOT a hemangioma, its liver cancer. Our doctor has referred him to U of I and a liver specialist. Thank God for the radiologist and for our Dr. Next step is targeted therapy, chemoemolization. We don't know after that. So, all I'm saying, if you have a hemangioma and nothing else shows up, ask for a biopsy. I kept saying to Dr. the hemangioma is so big (11 cm) couldn't it be hiding something in it, or under it that doesn't show up on the scans? He said possible but not likely. So, if you feel something isn't right, keep asking questions and pushing for answers. Lucky for us, our doctor is willing to listen and answer questions and research for us as well.

Comment from: cassgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had abdominal pain under my ribcage on both sides. I felt bloated even if I had not eaten, and I had no appetite. I went in for an ultrasound, and a hepatic hemangioma was discovered. My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist to rule out other health problems. I go in next week for a consultation.

Comment from: Brian, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 21

I had two large lumps in the neck due to salivary gland cancer. First the doctor prescribed an antibiotic, second an ultra sound, eventually referral to head and neck specialist, CT scan (long wait) and surgery to parotid and submandibular glands; now I've had PET scan and awaiting result.

Comment from: guitarlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I found a lump under my left jaw and noticed a decrease in saliva production. The lump was painless. I was also bone tired, but thought it was because I worked graveyard shift.

Salivary Gland Cancer - Risks Question: Please discuss any risk factors that may have contributed to your salivary gland cancer.
Salivary Gland Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you experience that led to a diagnosis of salivary gland cancer?
Salivary Gland Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or therapy did you receive for salivary gland cancer?