Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Retirede, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

On June 13, 2017 I had a discectomy, lumbar laminectomy, and spinal fusion. I was bedridden from the pain for most of early June, and over the past 15 years dependent on pain management. My pain was entirely on my right side, and in early June, excruciating pain resulted in my right leg going numb, first from the knee down to ankle, and then migrating into my groin. Post-surgery I spent one day in hospital, I had minimal pain, and right leg was still numb, but could support me. In the past 4 weeks I am steadily gaining stamina, I wear a brace from morning to night, sit for no longer than 30 minutes at a time. I am having trouble getting in and out of my compact sedan, and am seriously considering a crossover. I am 70 years old, was active throughout my life. I don't think I will be getting into my kayak again, but to be almost pain free, I will take the sacrifice.

Comment from: LynNy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I lifted a heavy object over 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with stenosis on L4/L5 as well as on L3. I received two spinal epidurals which made me worse. I was lying on my stomach (the only position that did not involve pain) for over a year. I was lucky enough to work while lying on my stomach but I was still out of work for over 4 months. I got a second opinion, thanks to my neurologist, and was correctly diagnosed with a left SI (sacroiliac) joint injury. My doctor had the perfect physiotherapist (PT) who knew how to manipulate my ilium back into place. Now I only have a slight joint pain, most of the muscular pain has subsided. I recently overexerted myself and started having joint and muscle pain again. I took steroids and muscle relaxers (helped a lot this time) and am planning to have an SI joint injection soon. Nothing helped me more than the PT who specializes in SI joint injuries. Don't stop trying to find relief. I didn't and I won't. Life is hard enough without pain. I wish you all the best of luck with finding and keeping relief.

Comment from: JED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Four months after a fusion of L3-L4, L4-L5 I had a horrific fall resulting in a shattered right wrist and an injury to my back as well as what has been diagnosed as a traumatic injury to my SI (sacroiliac) joints. It is manifested by a deep, boring pain in my right hip and iliac crest that has been relieved by steroid injections into the joints. The fall was six months ago. This diagnosis and the first injections were done early November and the pain returned early January and was relieved five days post injection again. I am concerned about how quickly the pain came back, what these repeated injections will do side effect-wise long term, and if there isn't some other possible treatment. I have a great orthopedic chiropractor who is a friend and who has treated me for other things. I think he is my best option when I have exhausted my injections.

Comment from: Painfulsijoint, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had such bad SI joint pain you want to stab a knife in the area of pain. I went to a pain management office. I was given Gralise, I take 1800 mg every day at 5:00pm with food. It has really helped along with muscle relaxant and Nucynta ER. It was the worst pain I have ever had. Neurontin is another name but Gralise has added areas that breakdown the way the medicine works faster and to the area faster. What a difference!

Comment from: lefty in SF, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

On vacation late last month I had a "knife in the lower left back" episode - severe pain. I saw a friend who is a chiropractor and I had instant relief in two treatments. Upon returning home I saw another chiropractor who discussed the connections between the nerves and the joints. He used both LED and other techniques and I feel much, much better.

Comment from: coco, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I had abdominal plastic surgery which resulted in cellulitis and ever since have been admitted to hospital a few times a year with chronic pain, sickness and constipation. It is getting more severe as time goes on, it is ten years since the surgery. I sometimes have up to 12 laxatives a day. I feel so ill when I can't go and they say I have irritable bowel syndrome. I think it is adhesions, I don't know what I can do to get doctors to look into this. It hurts and is very hard and numb all across the scar.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).