Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: JED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Four months after a fusion of L3-L4, L4-L5 I had a horrific fall resulting in a shattered right wrist and an injury to my back as well as what has been diagnosed as a traumatic injury to my SI (sacroiliac) joints. It is manifested by a deep, boring pain in my right hip and iliac crest that has been relieved by steroid injections into the joints. The fall was six months ago. This diagnosis and the first injections were done early November and the pain returned early January and was relieved five days post injection again. I am concerned about how quickly the pain came back, what these repeated injections will do side effect-wise long term, and if there isn't some other possible treatment. I have a great orthopedic chiropractor who is a friend and who has treated me for other things. I think he is my best option when I have exhausted my injections.

Comment from: Painfulsijoint, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had such bad SI joint pain you want to stab a knife in the area of pain. I went to a pain management office. I was given Gralise, I take 1800 mg every day at 5:00pm with food. It has really helped along with muscle relaxant and Nucynta ER. It was the worst pain I have ever had. Neurontin is another name but Gralise has added areas that breakdown the way the medicine works faster and to the area faster. What a difference!

Comment from: lefty in SF, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

On vacation late last month I had a "knife in the lower left back" episode - severe pain. I saw a friend who is a chiropractor and I had instant relief in two treatments. Upon returning home I saw another chiropractor who discussed the connections between the nerves and the joints. He used both LED and other techniques and I feel much, much better.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My pain has been disabling. No one knew what the problem was and I was disregarded as a druggie. I found out it is my SI joint. I was put on a Medrol dose pack and a miracle happened, zero pain; seriously! Before that life was not worth living if I had to live with that pain. It was a 10 plus and there isn't a narcotic out there that would touch the pain. Unfortunately you cannot use steroids long term. Apparently cortisone injections in that area are supposed to work, but once the numbness wears off or I move, back in pain. I will probably have to have surgery as nothing but the steroids have worked. But as for now, I am starting the injections again as per doctor's suggestion. If they don't work the only option is long term steroid use, which you cannot do, or surgery. But I tell you what, I felt like a million bucks once the steroids took hold.

Comment from: roni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been suffering with the sacroiliac joint dysfunction for almost 6 years. I am always in pain. I also have the arthritic episodes where I have an extreme amount of pain and unable to walk. I was on narcotics for a long time but I am off them now. I can't find anything to help me with my pain. Ibuprofen helps but it messes up my stomach. There aren't many people you can see for this condition and my doctor won't due the surgery. I hear all of the positive things and I really would love to have it. My kids are grown and it's just my husband and I with our animals and it's now our time to do what we want but it's difficult when you have this issue. I am positive and I keep pushing but when I have an episode, pushing it is not good. I am really glad I am not alone in this journey. No one truly understands you.

Comment from: sneezybreezy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I have experienced many of the same symptoms as others on this site. I've had a hard time walking, severe pain in both legs and in the lower back. Lidocaine patches over the SI (sacroiliac) joints help, and so have steroid injections into the SI joints, albeit temporarily. I can't believe so many people are suffering long term from this condition when there are surgeries, including minimally invasive ways to fuse the SI joints to prevent the movement that causes pain. I have a great deal of osteoarthritis in my SI joints due to low back fusions that took place 30 and 15 years ago. I am absolutely sure that the SI joints are causing my pain and I am going to pursue getting them fused. I am sick and tired of living half a life when I don't have to. The SI joints can move very little and they will cause you a lot of pain. They say 25 percent of low back pain is caused by the SI joints but most doctors don't know enough about them to either diagnose or treat them effectively, so their patients continue to suffer and their lives going down the tubes, for no reason.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).