Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Painfulsijoint, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had such bad SI joint pain you want to stab a knife in the area of pain. I went to a pain management office. I was given Gralise, I take 1800 mg every day at 5:00pm with food. It has really helped along with muscle relaxant and Nucynta ER. It was the worst pain I have ever had. Neurontin is another name but Gralise has added areas that breakdown the way the medicine works faster and to the area faster. What a difference!

Comment from: lefty in SF, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

On vacation late last month I had a "knife in the lower left back" episode - severe pain. I saw a friend who is a chiropractor and I had instant relief in two treatments. Upon returning home I saw another chiropractor who discussed the connections between the nerves and the joints. He used both LED and other techniques and I feel much, much better.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My pain has been disabling. No one knew what the problem was and I was disregarded as a druggie. I found out it is my SI joint. I was put on a Medrol dose pack and a miracle happened, zero pain; seriously! Before that life was not worth living if I had to live with that pain. It was a 10 plus and there isn't a narcotic out there that would touch the pain. Unfortunately you cannot use steroids long term. Apparently cortisone injections in that area are supposed to work, but once the numbness wears off or I move, back in pain. I will probably have to have surgery as nothing but the steroids have worked. But as for now, I am starting the injections again as per doctor's suggestion. If they don't work the only option is long term steroid use, which you cannot do, or surgery. But I tell you what, I felt like a million bucks once the steroids took hold.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I use Michelle"s Miracle cherry concentrate, 1 oz mixed in any liquid each day. It has properties similar to aspirin, as well as anti-inflammatory properties. I prefer this natural remedy for SI joint pain, over medicine.

Comment from: Fiz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

After many years of repeating chiropractic treatment and physical therapy for SI joint pain, I gave osteopathy a try with great and long lasting results.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had pain in my SI joint for 7 years. I started out with bone and joint doctors. They would give me shots and prescribe pain pills. After suffering for over a year, I went to a chiropractor. After the first visit I could walk easier. When I first started going I had to go twice a week for about 3 weeks. I go monthly now. My pain is greatly reduced. My SI joint slipped out of place last year so bad that I could not walk without assistance. The chiropractor adjusted me one time and I walked out of the office by myself.

Comment from: diane 73, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

After searching the "web" I found a site that suggested laying down on the floor on your back and placing a tennis ball under you where you hurt. Roll around on the spot that's sore. It gave me some immediate relief.

Comment from: lgann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 60-year-old female who has had lower back pain and hip pain for about 15 years. In the beginning I was told I had degenerative disc disease and some arthritis. I have realized over the years that the best way to treat this is actively yourself. I started a stretching routine every morning, ate healthy, took vitamins and worked thru the pain. Almost every day for 10 years I had some severe issues but learned to live with it. Recently I was diagnosed with a bulging disc after severe sacroiliac (SI) joint pain. I received one cortisone shot in my back and for the first time in 15 years have had 1 year of relief. I am beginning to have symptoms again, but continue to stretch every day.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).