Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: LynNy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I lifted a heavy object over 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with stenosis on L4/L5 as well as on L3. I received two spinal epidurals which made me worse. I was lying on my stomach (the only position that did not involve pain) for over a year. I was lucky enough to work while lying on my stomach but I was still out of work for over 4 months. I got a second opinion, thanks to my neurologist, and was correctly diagnosed with a left SI (sacroiliac) joint injury. My doctor had the perfect physiotherapist (PT) who knew how to manipulate my ilium back into place. Now I only have a slight joint pain, most of the muscular pain has subsided. I recently overexerted myself and started having joint and muscle pain again. I took steroids and muscle relaxers (helped a lot this time) and am planning to have an SI joint injection soon. Nothing helped me more than the PT who specializes in SI joint injuries. Don't stop trying to find relief. I didn't and I won't. Life is hard enough without pain. I wish you all the best of luck with finding and keeping relief.

Comment from: JED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Four months after a fusion of L3-L4, L4-L5 I had a horrific fall resulting in a shattered right wrist and an injury to my back as well as what has been diagnosed as a traumatic injury to my SI (sacroiliac) joints. It is manifested by a deep, boring pain in my right hip and iliac crest that has been relieved by steroid injections into the joints. The fall was six months ago. This diagnosis and the first injections were done early November and the pain returned early January and was relieved five days post injection again. I am concerned about how quickly the pain came back, what these repeated injections will do side effect-wise long term, and if there isn't some other possible treatment. I have a great orthopedic chiropractor who is a friend and who has treated me for other things. I think he is my best option when I have exhausted my injections.

Comment from: Painfulsijoint, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had such bad SI joint pain you want to stab a knife in the area of pain. I went to a pain management office. I was given Gralise, I take 1800 mg every day at 5:00pm with food. It has really helped along with muscle relaxant and Nucynta ER. It was the worst pain I have ever had. Neurontin is another name but Gralise has added areas that breakdown the way the medicine works faster and to the area faster. What a difference!

Comment from: lefty in SF, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

On vacation late last month I had a "knife in the lower left back" episode - severe pain. I saw a friend who is a chiropractor and I had instant relief in two treatments. Upon returning home I saw another chiropractor who discussed the connections between the nerves and the joints. He used both LED and other techniques and I feel much, much better.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My pain has been disabling. No one knew what the problem was and I was disregarded as a druggie. I found out it is my SI joint. I was put on a Medrol dose pack and a miracle happened, zero pain; seriously! Before that life was not worth living if I had to live with that pain. It was a 10 plus and there isn't a narcotic out there that would touch the pain. Unfortunately you cannot use steroids long term. Apparently cortisone injections in that area are supposed to work, but once the numbness wears off or I move, back in pain. I will probably have to have surgery as nothing but the steroids have worked. But as for now, I am starting the injections again as per doctor's suggestion. If they don't work the only option is long term steroid use, which you cannot do, or surgery. But I tell you what, I felt like a million bucks once the steroids took hold.

Comment from: Kat, Published: April 21

I had a bad fall on both knees almost 3 weeks ago. My left knee instantly swelled and bruised. Bruising was almost gone this morning and when I knelt on the tub to wash my hair a darker bruise instantly appeared to the side where the swelling was before.

Comment from: roni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been suffering with the sacroiliac joint dysfunction for almost 6 years. I am always in pain. I also have the arthritic episodes where I have an extreme amount of pain and unable to walk. I was on narcotics for a long time but I am off them now. I can't find anything to help me with my pain. Ibuprofen helps but it messes up my stomach. There aren't many people you can see for this condition and my doctor won't due the surgery. I hear all of the positive things and I really would love to have it. My kids are grown and it's just my husband and I with our animals and it's now our time to do what we want but it's difficult when you have this issue. I am positive and I keep pushing but when I have an episode, pushing it is not good. I am really glad I am not alone in this journey. No one truly understands you.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).