Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am 51 years old just told I have had SI joint. Been on walker for almost 2 weeks. Going to chiropractor, some small improvement. No insurance don't know what else to do. Pain is unbearable. Others think I'm crazy for going to chiropractor and not a medical doctor. What else can I do out of work because of pain.

Published: April 29

I just recently found out that I had a problem with my SI joint. I've had back problems for years and this is definitely one of the most painful things I've had to deal with. I'm going for an injection on Tuesday. (I'm not happy about that.) In the meantime, low doses of prednisone and Lortab 10s are helping keep the pain not as bad. Also, Lidoderm patches are a miracle. They help so much with back and nerve pain. I'm 38 years old and hope that this stuff keeps working! I'd like to rejoin the human race!

Comment from: ffdad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm a 33 year-old firefighter and I hurt my back 5 months ago lifting a Patient. I have had a MRI, and an SI joint injection, which sucked. Now I hurt worse than I did before.

Comment from: Hurting, Published: September 19

I first had an SI strain two years ago and had an injection. It helped immensely. Rather than physical therapy, I opted for yoga, which can be continued lifelong. I had no further problems until my yoga teacher took a leave of absence and I did not keep up with it at home. I overworked my back and now have had pain in both SI joints for two weeks. I will probably go back for injections and the restart yoga faithfully.

Comment from: bluizoftx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am thrilled I found this site. I thought I was alone in the world with my SI joint pain condition. I am 48 years old now, and I have lived with SI joint pain for more than 10 years. I am a nurse and I believe I injured myself lifting a patient at work one day. Eventually I became unable to work any longer and I ended up seeing a neurosurgeon and was told I have disc problems at L5 and S1, requiring a fusion. The pain started again about a year after surgery and I've suffered with severe pain on the right side at the SI joint, radiating into the hip and down to the knee, and a lot of the time even into the foot. The pain is unbearable. I've done everything possible to get help and relief, only finding it returning after a short period of relief. The many doctors I've seen don't seem to know what to do with me. MRI's, X-rays, etc., don't show any problems. I've decided to see a rheumatologist and I'm praying he will be able to help me. This condition has taken on a life of its own and I am finding it impossible to have a life because of the pain.

Comment from: RW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have found that cortisone injections have been effective and usually last for 3-4 months. My GP advises me that cortisone, over a long period of time will eventually cause the SI joint to deteriorate. I am considering the fusion surgery as an option to long-term cortisone use.

Comment from: Janie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I injured my SI in a fall off an 18 foot ladder. I didn't want surgery. It took a few years of gentle restorative yoga to tease/stretch out the muscles now supporting the displaced SI (a few sessions also with a chiropractor) and when the SI "slid" in to place relief but then great pain as there were no supporting correct placement muscles so walking bending , everything pulled the SI out of alignment ( lots of pain!!!). Now after a few years of Core Strengthening and sessions of stretching, strengthening over a "peanut” exercise ball I have many days of pain free movement! I am able to keep up, almost, with my 10 year old triplets!

Comment from: isk8ermum5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I go to a chiropractor and also a massage therapist every week. This keeps me pain free. BUT I missed the massage for two weeks and have been paying for it ever since. Massage really helps relax the muscles around the SI joint.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).