Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Michele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

After 18 years of back pain I got a correct diagnosis, my SI was out of place causing my spine to twist at the base. I had Dextrose Sclerosant Therapy from a fantastic rheumatologist, along with a little physiotherapy. What a difference. 10 years on, I have only had a couple of minor bad back incidents which were probably my own fault, and nowhere near as severe as before. Basically, the physio puts the joint into place, then you have a few injections of dextrose into the joint at 2 week intervals. The dextrose merely aggravates the ligaments to strengthen more quickly, holding the joint as it should be. It changed my life.

Comment from: cyberfarie2u, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have scoliosis, spina bifida, osteoarthritis, disfigured pelvic bones and hips, and sacroiliitis. Needless to say, I have considerable pain on a daily basis. I have tried it all, physical therapy, chiropractor, water exercises, electrical stimulation, steroid injections, spinal fusions, about 9 spine surgeries, you name it...I have done it. My doctor finally figured out that most of my symptoms are from my sacroiliitis. So I tried the radio frequency. IT WAS AWESOME!!! I had 70% relief of pain, however it only lasted about 3 months. Now the pain is back worse that ever. I'm lost, I can't afford another round of RF, and am seriously thinking maybe sciatic fusion is my last resort.

Comment from: DougW, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I was training for a 25k trail race. I am a 43 year old male, and noticed about 3 weeks ago that I had really bad pain in my buttocks and my low back was aching. I had trouble standing up straight. Anything that caused hip and core twisting hurt. Three weeks now and it's not getting better.

Comment from: signoradelia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In 2003 I had radio frequency ablation for my SI joint pain, from which I had been suffering increasingly for years. The result was close to miraculous, and the relief lasted for 6 years. I have been experiencing pain for the past year, and I'm ready to find a physician to do it again (my previous physician died at 48 the year after my procedure!) I was 58 at the time.

Comment from: DC J, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 26

A chiropractic adjustment of the sacrum is the fastest, most practical, and affordable treatment for this condition.

Comment from: JA PERSON, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

The injections have helped me tremendously. I had a total knee re-replacement and I have arthristis in my knees, after this injection I can move more, no pain. So the injections were a great choice for my SI, and knee and joint pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Several weeks of physical therapy was very helpful.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).