Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: bluizoftx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am thrilled I found this site. I thought I was alone in the world with my SI joint pain condition. I am 48 years old now, and I have lived with SI joint pain for more than 10 years. I am a nurse and I believe I injured myself lifting a patient at work one day. Eventually I became unable to work any longer and I ended up seeing a neurosurgeon and was told I have disc problems at L5 and S1, requiring a fusion. The pain started again about a year after surgery and I've suffered with severe pain on the right side at the SI joint, radiating into the hip and down to the knee, and a lot of the time even into the foot. The pain is unbearable. I've done everything possible to get help and relief, only finding it returning after a short period of relief. The many doctors I've seen don't seem to know what to do with me. MRI's, X-rays, etc., don't show any problems. I've decided to see a rheumatologist and I'm praying he will be able to help me. This condition has taken on a life of its own and I am finding it impossible to have a life because of the pain.

Comment from: RW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have found that cortisone injections have been effective and usually last for 3-4 months. My GP advises me that cortisone, over a long period of time will eventually cause the SI joint to deteriorate. I am considering the fusion surgery as an option to long-term cortisone use.

Comment from: Janie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I injured my SI in a fall off an 18 foot ladder. I didn't want surgery. It took a few years of gentle restorative yoga to tease/stretch out the muscles now supporting the displaced SI (a few sessions also with a chiropractor) and when the SI "slid" in to place relief but then great pain as there were no supporting correct placement muscles so walking bending , everything pulled the SI out of alignment ( lots of pain!!!). Now after a few years of Core Strengthening and sessions of stretching, strengthening over a "peanut” exercise ball I have many days of pain free movement! I am able to keep up, almost, with my 10 year old triplets!

Comment from: isk8ermum5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I go to a chiropractor and also a massage therapist every week. This keeps me pain free. BUT I missed the massage for two weeks and have been paying for it ever since. Massage really helps relax the muscles around the SI joint.

Published: July 11

I started to have SI joint issues when I changed jobs and started sitting the majority of the day. Since I don't want to change jobs, I got a SI injection and that has kept the pain down to manageable levels for nearly 2 years. Now I am experiencing a severe flare-up so will likely need another injection.

Comment from: lebogdebrush, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

I started getting lower back pain after the birth of my daughter nearly 18 years ago. When she was about six months I could not bend over and straighten back up nor walk very far without being in awful pain. I had injections down both sides of spine from L5/S1 down every three months. I then moved and the pain was bearable. Then last year after about three years of struggling I sought further help from my pain specialist. The injections are painful but we have finally found the source of my pain. We have agreed to another set of injections in 8 months time or earlier if I need them. But this time the injections are holding. Do not suffer a few minutes more pain having the injections is worth the relief these can give.

Comment from: ASinpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am 32 years old and have been dealing with back pain for years along with that my SI joints keep popping out of place each one exterior rotating. This has been causing me horrible pain; I have went through physical therapy where I could barely walk afterwards, tried a SI belt, injections, nerve blocks, chiropractic and medication none of this seems to help. My doctor asked me if I would be interested in SI Infuse. I hurt nonstop and it is so hard to deal with.

Comment from: savage, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had SI joint pain for years. I have had several SI joint injections and did not get any relief from the intense pain. I have had other steroid injections in my back, neck, hip and knees and this was by far the most painful injection to endure! They "numb you up" and wait a few minutes before injecting the site. That was bad, but the injection was horrific! It sent me through the roof! After two of those (they say sometimes they take 2 injections to work) I decided I would NEVER have another SI joint injection again! hope this helps.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).