Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: cin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a simple knee scope done in 2010. Since the day of that surgery I've had IT band syndrome and SI joint pain. It really makes one wonder what they did to you during surgery. Still to this day I have pain off and on. I am a very active person and never had anything like this in my life. Shots didnt help in the SI joint - very frustrating. But, I keep on moving...

Comment from: kellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been suffering from SI joint pain for six and a half years. Nothing I have done has helped. I've been to a chiropractor, neurosurgeon, physical therapists and with stood 11 steroid shots in my lower back. Nothing. Twice, the shots put me in bed for two weeks. I've been on pain meds for five years now and still no relief. I'm 49 years old now and I haven't worked for a year and a half due to the pain.

Comment from: Nurse to many, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I'm a nurse too and hurt my back on a patient a few days after Christmas 2012. I'm out of work doing physical therapy with NSAIDS, and pelvic exercises. But my SI joint on the left and my tail bone are killing me. I can't sit for more than 30 minutes so I bought a "Tush Cush." For the car which is a mini wedge with a hole for the tailbone, which helps a bit. I sit on a yoga ball all the time at home, but walking and standing for to long kills me. The pain runs to my inner pelvic / thigh area and down my back leg into my knee and sometimes down to my foot, but rarely. I've done the injections, and prednisone worked great but I can't take that forever! Feeling all sorts of pressure to go back to work and I'm totally stressed!! I love lidocaine patches.

Comment from: Alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with SI problem about a year ago after about six months of pain. I had some physio as apparently the muscle had locked the joint into place. It was much better for three months, but deteriorated after that and has remained so bad that I've not been able to do any exercise, and often getting to work is a nightmare. I've had some more physio, and that has helped. As does NSAIDs, thought they take days to really kick in. A sacro-illiac belt has also helped.

Comment from: janq, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my right knee replacement 32 months ago. I have had pain in my right hip leg and groin ever since. I thought it was my hip. X-rays showed no hip problems. I believe the passive resistance machine aggravated my SI joint. I can't seem to obtain any relief. Physical therapy hasn't helped. I'm supposed to start having massage for my myofacial pain. Maybe that will help the SI pain. I also have three ruptured lumbar disks. Here's hoping all of you find relief.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

18 years ago, working as an RN I injured by SI Joint in my back. I thought it would go away in a couple of days, then weeks, but it didn't. I tried various treatments; accupuncture, accupressure, drugs, injections of cortizone and steroids. Nothing helped. I walked with a cane, then 2. What helped was just light exercises, stretching and keeping mobile. I didn't seek anymore help as I didn't want surgery. Over a period of a couple of months, I healed myself. Tylenol, heating pad and lots of swearing helped. Today 18 years later, I still do my stretching and light exercises every morning and before retiring for the day. It has not been easy, but with determination it has done me well. If I knew then what I know now it would of saved me time, doctor visits and a lot of pain. This is not an easy method, but it does work. Take Tylenol 1 hour before exercising and take 1 tablet immediately after until the pain is bearable. With time the Tylenol use should go down. Don't give up, be patient.

Comment from: Fenix, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had an accident last year, slipped while running down a flight of stairs, and suffered spinal concussion/temporary paralysis to my lumbar region. Paresthesia occurred from head to foot thereafter. My GP and Neurologist had no idea for treatment, which was hardly surprising as they did not touch me, or really examine me. I deduced that paresthesia must have resulted from referred tension, so I attended a Pilates class, and then did some yoga at home and it worked - full sensation returned to my body. I did however have a left shoulder and hip that were raised and it caused me pain. I saw an osteopath/cranio-sacral practitioner. He straightened me up and made me pain free in three sessions. He advised me to swim for a month and then resume running. My advice would be this: see an osteopath, swim, run, do Pilates, yoga, and also you may wish to try ballet-Pilates, as all help to strengthen the gluteal and core muscles. There are numerous exercises that can be employed to strengthen gluteal/core, but classes afford a supervised and thus more accurate/focused/monitored exercise plan. Walking alone will not suffice to remedy this burning, persistent pain. I still have flare ups occasionally - deep, burning pain in buttock, which causes pain/stiffness down leg and into my foot. Freshly grated ginger, made into a tisane or just eaten has great anti-inflammatory properties. Fortified cod liver oil is great too. Lay off red meat/dairy, and eat fresh fruit/veg/pulses/brown rice. Stress exacerbates the pain, so try to exercise and do relaxing pursuits.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).