Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My 93 year old mother fell 4 days ago. Nothing is broken but she is now experiencing severe SI joint pain. Nothing seems to be helping. I hate seeing her in this much pain.

Comment from: Faye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been having pain with my SI joint for years. I finally had to demand to my doctor to send me to a specialist. My doctor over the past seven years has prescribed me so many anti-inflammatory medications, which do not work. I have had nerve blockers shots and a SI injection. To this day, none has worked. When the weather is cold and snowy, that is when the pain is really bad.

Comment from: soccerchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had lower back pain on and off for a number of years. I play soccer and after some games, my right hip would hurt, but it would normally be okay by the next day. After one game a few months ago, I could barely get off the field because of my hip. The pain was excruciating, and I could barely walk for the next three weeks because of my hip. I went to my doctor, who didn't know what was going on, and so I went to a physiotherapist. He watched me bend over while standing, and he saw that my hips were misaligned and one leg was longer than the other. After a couple more tests, he determined that it was my SI joint giving me the back and hip pain all this time. For the last couple of months, I have been receiving acupuncture, my PT stretches my leg and hip, and I have exercises to do. I still have some pain in my hip and back, but nothing like it was. A little bit longer, and I'll (hopefully) be able to get back on the soccer field.

Comment from: Fusion 3 4 me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am recovering from my 3rd spinal fusion. I am having pain in my lower back, hip, and leg down to knee only. When I stand up, I get a terrible burning sensation in my lower bottom near my legs. It last a minute or so. I was told is was my SI joint. I have had injections of this before and they do work,however I can't have them now due to my healing process. Steroids can disrupt healing of my fusion. I am coping now.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My SI joint was out of place for three years before a PT who works with hips figured out it was my SI joint. She had me do the shotgun, in which you squeeze a kickball between your legs to make it go back and forth into place. I had to do this for eight weeks off and on whenever my SI went out of place. Also, you can use the abductors at a gym, where you squeeze your legs with weights forward and outward. This also helps. I was well for about three years, but now I'm having problems with the SI joint again. Again, I started squeezing the kickball or a football, and it works wonders! Try it and see. My SI joint first went out when I had my first child and I never knew what it was, but it went back in after about a year. The second time it went out because I fell over on my motorcycle on my left side. I hope this will help someone.

Comment from: mrgk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Traction done by my physical therapist helped me the most (I was in therapy for six weeks, three times a week, 1½-hour sessions). It provided immediate relief, reduced inflammation and helped get my bones back into alignment. Although I still suffer from pain when I twist and turn the wrong way, I am working on the plan my therapist gave me to strengthen my core and muscles surrounding my pelvis and SI joint.

Comment from: Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

If you are still in lots of pain, consider getting off grains and trying a gluten-free diet. You may be amazed to see how well you feel. I still have pain, but nowhere near the amount I had been suffering. I feel you have nothing to lose by trying it. I've heard that gluten can cause inflammation for some people. I'd never realized how many people have the same problem. A doctor told me about gluten and it has helped me greatly.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).