Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: janq, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my right knee replacement 32 months ago. I have had pain in my right hip leg and groin ever since. I thought it was my hip. X-rays showed no hip problems. I believe the passive resistance machine aggravated my SI joint. I can't seem to obtain any relief. Physical therapy hasn't helped. I'm supposed to start having massage for my myofacial pain. Maybe that will help the SI pain. I also have three ruptured lumbar disks. Here's hoping all of you find relief.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

18 years ago, working as an RN I injured by SI Joint in my back. I thought it would go away in a couple of days, then weeks, but it didn't. I tried various treatments; accupuncture, accupressure, drugs, injections of cortizone and steroids. Nothing helped. I walked with a cane, then 2. What helped was just light exercises, stretching and keeping mobile. I didn't seek anymore help as I didn't want surgery. Over a period of a couple of months, I healed myself. Tylenol, heating pad and lots of swearing helped. Today 18 years later, I still do my stretching and light exercises every morning and before retiring for the day. It has not been easy, but with determination it has done me well. If I knew then what I know now it would of saved me time, doctor visits and a lot of pain. This is not an easy method, but it does work. Take Tylenol 1 hour before exercising and take 1 tablet immediately after until the pain is bearable. With time the Tylenol use should go down. Don't give up, be patient.

Comment from: Fenix, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had an accident last year, slipped while running down a flight of stairs, and suffered spinal concussion/temporary paralysis to my lumbar region. Paresthesia occurred from head to foot thereafter. My GP and Neurologist had no idea for treatment, which was hardly surprising as they did not touch me, or really examine me. I deduced that paresthesia must have resulted from referred tension, so I attended a Pilates class, and then did some yoga at home and it worked - full sensation returned to my body. I did however have a left shoulder and hip that were raised and it caused me pain. I saw an osteopath/cranio-sacral practitioner. He straightened me up and made me pain free in three sessions. He advised me to swim for a month and then resume running. My advice would be this: see an osteopath, swim, run, do Pilates, yoga, and also you may wish to try ballet-Pilates, as all help to strengthen the gluteal and core muscles. There are numerous exercises that can be employed to strengthen gluteal/core, but classes afford a supervised and thus more accurate/focused/monitored exercise plan. Walking alone will not suffice to remedy this burning, persistent pain. I still have flare ups occasionally - deep, burning pain in buttock, which causes pain/stiffness down leg and into my foot. Freshly grated ginger, made into a tisane or just eaten has great anti-inflammatory properties. Fortified cod liver oil is great too. Lay off red meat/dairy, and eat fresh fruit/veg/pulses/brown rice. Stress exacerbates the pain, so try to exercise and do relaxing pursuits.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am 51 years old just told I have had SI joint. Been on walker for almost 2 weeks. Going to chiropractor, some small improvement. No insurance don't know what else to do. Pain is unbearable. Others think I'm crazy for going to chiropractor and not a medical doctor. What else can I do out of work because of pain.

Published: April 29

I just recently found out that I had a problem with my SI joint. I've had back problems for years and this is definitely one of the most painful things I've had to deal with. I'm going for an injection on Tuesday. (I'm not happy about that.) In the meantime, low doses of prednisone and Lortab 10s are helping keep the pain not as bad. Also, Lidoderm patches are a miracle. They help so much with back and nerve pain. I'm 38 years old and hope that this stuff keeps working! I'd like to rejoin the human race!

Comment from: ffdad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm a 33 year-old firefighter and I hurt my back 5 months ago lifting a Patient. I have had a MRI, and an SI joint injection, which sucked. Now I hurt worse than I did before.

Comment from: Hurting, Published: September 19

I first had an SI strain two years ago and had an injection. It helped immensely. Rather than physical therapy, I opted for yoga, which can be continued lifelong. I had no further problems until my yoga teacher took a leave of absence and I did not keep up with it at home. I overworked my back and now have had pain in both SI joints for two weeks. I will probably go back for injections and the restart yoga faithfully.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).